Bucky Brooks: "It's a myth that elite QBs single-handedly carry their teams to wins"

MyFairLady

Reaction score
If Mahomes or Brady or Eli or Aikman run that play they tuck it in and lay down. Get touched by defender. Go to sideline and tells the coach don't ever run that stupid play again. Or they throw a bomb down the sideline hoping the WR can make a play one on one. I can pretty much guarantee you they do not do what Dak did.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
That wasn't an "elite" QB making a play, that was just one of those great moments and I would say the catch was more impressive than the throw, he caught that thing stuck to the side of his head. That catch doesn't make that WR "elite", but it was still an all time great moment. Those plays could be described as "clutch", but it still doesn't make Eli elite.
I never used the word elite. I said for some reason Eli and the team stepped up during the playoffs (which is obvious since they were never SB favorites) and they were clutch plays.

kskboys

Reaction score
But for some reason Eli and the team he played for played better in the playoffs. Not always in general, but in key moments when it mattered. They kept the score close and somehow Eli made some play that kept them going so that they had a shot at the end. Their first SB win against the Patriots where on 4th down he escaped what looked like a sack to throw it up in the air to the receiver who somehow pulled it down even though the defender’s arms were wrapped inside his and were also on the ball. And in the 2nd SB they won against the Patriots where he threw a perfect sideline pass on 3rd and long from his own side of the field where only the receiver could catch it. Those were two plays that are by definition clutch.
Throwing the ball up for grabs is clutch? C'mooooon.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't know how it happened but I have become the resident Eli Manning defender. When I read stuff like this I feel as though it is entirely emotional. Did you watch his play off runs? The guy made massive plays over and over all the way to a super bowl win twice. He has achieved legend status as a QB. No one can ever take that away from him. You might as well just accept the fact that he is a total boss from now until eternity.
Did you watch his playoff runs? He failed miserably against SF and got bailed out by 2 Kyle Williams fumbles. And then got bailed out by his D in the 07 super bowl. He didn't make massive plays, the D did. Held one of the highest scoring O's of all time to 14 pts.

The media is the culprit in making Eli better than he was.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I don't know how it happened but I have become the resident Eli Manning defender. When I read stuff like this I feel as though it is entirely emotional. Did you watch his play off runs? The guy made massive plays over and over all the way to a super bowl win twice. He has achieved legend status as a QB. No one can ever take that away from him. You might as well just accept the fact that he is a total boss from now until eternity.
I'm not taking away from what Eli accomplished, two rings is impressive in any context, he was never consistent enough to be considered "elite", though. He lead the league in INTs 3 different seasons, made the playoffs in only 6 of 16 seasons and only out of the 1st rd of playoffs twice, but he played well those those two times. Flacco may have played the best stretch of football any QB has ever played during his Super Bowl season, but like Eli, that doesn't make him an elite QB.

That's one of the topics from the original premise of this thread, the game hinges on more than having an elite QB. Brady was far and away the better of the two QBs going into that Super Bowl, would anyone, even Giants fans taken Eli over Tom? Pats fans can say the better team lost that Super Bowl, but on that day the Giants were the better team. Eli didn't carry the team to a Superbowl, he was part of the better team and played his part well.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Did you watch his playoff runs? He failed miserably against SF and got bailed out by 2 Kyle Williams fumbles. And then go bailed out by his D in the 07 super bowl. He didn't make massive plays, the D did. Held one of the highest scoring O's of all time to 14 pts.

I understand what you’re saying but the guy won two rings. Sure some luck was involved but that’s typically what happens if you play good enough to get kick to go your way. Mahoneys benefits from a Jalen Hurts fumble which completely turned the game around in the SB two years ago.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Did you watch his playoff runs? He failed miserably against SF and got bailed out by 2 Kyle Williams fumbles. And then go bailed out by his D in the 07 super bowl. He didn't make massive plays, the D did. Held one of the highest scoring O's of all time to 14 pts.

He is a smart QB with a talented arm that made many big throw when required. Sure the defense was incredible. Of course the other team made mistakes. All of that is required to win it all. Eli did his part and he did it well. He deserves the credit. 6 TDs to 1 INT in first SB win over 4 games. 9 TDs to 1 INT in second SB win over 4 more games. Average QB rating in those 8 games well over 100. He was a big part of why they won and perhaps most importantly he never blew it so they always had the chance to win.

kskboys

Reaction score
I understand what you’re saying but the guy won two rings. Sure some luck was involved but that’s typically what happens if you play good enough to get kick to go your way. Mahoneys benefits from a Jalen Hurts fumble which completely turned the game around in the SB two years ago.
He didn't. The D did.

Eli was much better in his 2nd super bowl.

Did you know that the Giants D held every opponent in the playoffs to under 21 points? Meanwhile, Eli put up the following points:

No, that was not good even back in 07.

I have no idea how this society has gotten to this point, blinded to the actual happenings. Eli = Jim Plunkett. Right team, right time.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
People despise Eli and I 100% can understand why but at some point he is done and retired and he has the wins and you just can't take that away from him.

kskboys

Reaction score
Why do people ignore everything else someone writes about multiple plays and then just simplistically diminish them to “throwing it up for grabs”?
The poster called it clutch, not me. Why are you ignoring what was said to simplistically attempt to bull your agenda in? Looks to me like you're the one doing exactly what you're accusing others of doing.

kskboys

Reaction score
People despise Eli and I 100% can understand why but at some point he is done and retired and he has the wins and you just can't take that away from him.
I don't despise Eli. Eli won due to a great D play, and you cannot take that away.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
He didn't. The D did.

Did you know that the Giants D held every opponent in the playoffs to under 21 points? Meanwhile, Eli put up the following points:

I have no idea how this society has gotten to this point, blinded to the actual happenings. Eli = Jim Plunkett. Right team, right time.
IMHO there is no way those teams win those superbowls with 2023 Dak as the QB.

kskboys

Reaction score
He is a smart QB with a talented arm that made many big throw when required. Sure the defense was incredible. Of course the other team made mistakes. All of that is required to win it all. Eli did his part and he did it well. He deserves the credit. 6 TDs to 1 INT in first SB win over 4 games. 9 TDs to 1 INT in second SB win over 4 more games. Average QB rating in those 8 games well over 100. He was a big part of why they won and perhaps most importantly he never blew it so they always had the chance to win.
He didn't.

kskboys

Reaction score
IMHO there is no way those teams win those superbowls with 2023 Dak as the QB.
Yes, there is. However, Dak would have to play according to how the OC told him to. W/ Big Brandon and the best DLine in the game to lean on, he might've easily done better than Eli.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Yes, there is. However, Dak would have to play according to how the OC told him to. W/ Big Brandon and the best DLine in the game to lean on, he might've easily done better than Eli.
IMHO Dak does not threaten the sidelines like Eli did. That is the main difference between the two. We end up playing between the hash marks. The run game gets shut down. The windows get tight and mistakes get made. Eli would always keep throwing to the sidelines not only giving the WRs a chance at a big play but keeping the defense spread out and honest.

2016 Dak did not have to do this because the run game and his legs were such a weapon that we could get a first down over and over and over and crush our opponents to dust. He was deadly in that offense. Eli could never do that just like Dak can never do what Eli did.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
2 INTs in 8 total games resulting in 2 super bowl wins. Dak had 2 INTs in the first half at home against a mid tier Green Bay squad. One in our own red zone. The other a pick 6. Yes the defense sucked. They have sucked for 20 years. Dak also sucked.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I never used the word elite. I said for some reason Eli and the team stepped up during the playoffs (which is obvious since they were never SB favorites) and they were clutch plays.
My original post was a response to Elite QBs inspire others to play better and mediocre QBs inspire other to play worse. I don't know anyone, probably even many Giants fans, that would call Eli elite. It wasn't an attempt to bag on Eli, just illustrate that he wasn't an elite QB but still managed two rings against not just an elite QB, but one many consider the GOAT. Eli was a mediocre QB that just happened to have some great moments, he didn't "carry" teams to success or Super Bowls, but that didn't mean he couldn't be part of their success either. Eli Face is not inspirational.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Remember that ball Eli threw directly to Asanti Samuels on the same drive as the famous chuck and duck?

The margin between great and jag is razor thin at times and Eli just happened to fall just right and land on the right side of that line twice in his career.

Remember Brady throwing that terrible interception in the closing minutes of the AFCCG against the Chiefs? Even the announcers didn't notice the flag that lay on the ground on the opposite side of the field. But there it was. Neutral zone infraction as the DT lined up with his fingernail in the neutral zone. Took away the game sealing interception and Brady goes from bum to hero.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He didn't. The D did.

Well I don’t think anyone ever says Eli was great. I for sure don’t. But even if the defense did limit opponents you still have to score and Eli faced some tough teams. That Giants was never good enough to beat the teams they beat especially the Patriots twice. I’m not a fan but to quarterback a team to a SB and see Brady twice and go undefeated against Bellichat? Gotta give credit where it’s due especially as a Cowboy fan who hasn’t seen it in 28 years.