Bucky Brooks: "It's a myth that elite QBs single-handedly carry their teams to wins"

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Eli Manning is going to make the Hall of Fame based on two postseason runs where he was carried by his defense.

Aside from that his entire career consisted of turning the football over and losing games.

If his last name wasn't Manning his career arc would have mirrored that of Rex Grossman or Jake Cutler.
If he didn't make a few incredible throws and stayed on his feet to complete a pivotal pass play ... his career arc would have mirrored that of Rex Grossman and Jake (sic) Cutler. ;)

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
So Dak has to throw the ball regardless of what’s happening on the field?

And let’s be clear here, Warner doesn’t absolve Dak of blame on both those plays.
Of course Kurt Warner is not absolving Dak from his part of blame, but Warner is crystal clear in explaining the cause of those INTs. It's not Dak. It's the design of those plays.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Your spin on what KW said, it gets old hearing you blame everyone but the QB who is the guy that makes the decision to throw, all those bad routes and concepts and schemes worked great for the offense the whole season but the one constant in 3 playoff appearances is the poor play of the most important position on the offense, do you know who that is. By the way garbage stats don’t count
Go cry to mommy. It gets old hearing your uneducated constant whining.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
When discussing the first interception, Warner literally says the throw has to go to Lamb. But apparently people think he wasn’t talking about Dak but instead maybe the peanut guy.
Kurt Warner also explained why he realized why Dak didn't throw it to CeeDee because of CeeDee's sloppy routes running which allowed the CB underneath to cover him early, aside from the spot CeeDee should have been late in his route. You intentionally left that out.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
LOL.

So Dak HAS to throw it in that spot?

Like he has no choice but to make the throw?
I'm not absolving Dak from any blame, but the play should have never been created that way. Why pay millions to coaches who can't correct poorly designed plays?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
When discussing the first interception, Warner literally says the throw has to go to Lamb. But apparently people think he wasn’t talking about Dak but instead maybe the peanut guy.
Kurt should be listened to because he’s somewhat of an authority. However, he has to give his reasons for why he thinks Dak is not at fault here otherwise it’s just a logical fallacy, i.e., argument from authority. He spends an inordinate amount of time criticizing the play design. To me that’s a moot point because as I’ve said before, passing plays are just blueprints designed to get receivers open and don’t cause or do anything. Players do. If you watch the second interception, Dak stares down CeeDee the entire way and throws it late. You throw a slant when the receiver breaks (Kurt even points this out). Cooks who is the second read is clearly open which means the play fulfilled its purpose. Because Dak is staring down CeeDee the entire way and holds the ball too long to throw it to him instead of going to his second read, that is what makes Savage who comes up to cover Cooks while reading Dak’s eyes to shift off of him to get in between the throw and CeeDee and make the pick six. Anyone can see this on the video.

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'm not absolving Dak from any blame, but the play should have never been created that way. Why pay millions to coaches who can't correct poorly designed plays?
It was the first year of the installation. That play with the slants is a WCO staple. Sure there are adjustments and variations but they were running simple plays because Dak was struggling to see the field.

The problem is even with the simple play Dak couldn't see. If the play is bad and doesn't get anyone open that does not mean throw it anyway.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Kurt should be listened to because he’s somewhat of an authority. However, he has to give his reasons for why he thinks Dak is not at fault here otherwise it’s just a logical fallacy, i.e., argument from authority. He spends an inordinate amount of time criticizing the play design. To me that’s a moot point because as I’ve said before, passing plays are just blueprints designed to get receivers open and don’t cause or do anything. Players do. If you watch the second interception, Dak stares down CeeDee the entire way and throws it late. You throw a slant when the receiver breaks (Kurt even points this out). Cooks who is the second read is clearly open which means the play fulfilled its purpose. Because Dak is staring down CeeDee the entire way and holds the ball too long to throw it to him instead of going to his second read, that is what makes Savage who comes up to cover Cooks while reading Dak’s eyes to shift off of him to get in between the throw and CeeDee and make the pick six. Anyone can see this on the video.
Exactly, a pump fake after the stare down and you have Cooks or any other inside receiver running free in space by the time you reset. There are all manner of solutions to the problem. They just seemed to panic and suck.

I don't know what to think. Garrett and Moore used to 'simplify reads' for him with the triple curl extravaganza. To be fair that is not all on him. The WR and TE were not exactly brimming with disciplined talent.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It was the first year of the installation. That play with the slants is a WCO staple. Sure there are adjustments and variations but they were running simple plays because Dak was struggling to see the field.

The problem is even with the simple play Dak couldn't see. If the play is bad and doesn't get anyone open that does not mean throw it anyway.
That’s a bunch of BS that naively focuses only on the results in the playoffs and not why or what caused those results. Shows a lack of understanding of what it takes to win in the NFL.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
That’s a bunch of BS that naively focuses only on the results in the playoffs and not why or what caused those results. Shows a lack of understanding of what it takes to win in the NFL.
Nice characterizations of my arguments. Have anything meaningful to add?

Frankly I would say that Dak throwing into coverage is a clear cause of a couple important results.