Camelot, The Borgias, Game of Thrones.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I saw what appeared to be the first Game of Thrones last night. I was really surprised when the kid got killed. (or at least it comes off that way at the end of the show)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3911611 said:
For those of you confused or whatnot over the relations of many of the characters:

cYKAi.jpg

There's a Baratheon brother missing there, as well as a lot of other characters that will come to light.

So the the guy that throws the kid out of the tower was getting it on with his sister? EWWW

Temo

Reaction score
That's what happens when you control the market for something, like Amazon and e-books.

And when you use your economies of scale to beat smaller competitors into the ground, like Amazon and independent bookstores.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Temo;3912356 said:
That's what happens when you control the market for something, like Amazon and e-books.

And when you use your economies of scale to beat smaller competitors into the ground, like Amazon and independent bookstores.

Amazon doesn't set the price. The publishers do. Of course, Steve Jobs and Apple are applying higher price pressure by charging more for books on Apple's App Store (so their 30% results in more money), which the publishers then demand that Amazon charge the same amount.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3912355 said:
So the the guy that throws the kid out of the tower was getting it on with his sister? EWWW

It was the queen and that Jamie guy right? They are twins?

Temo

Reaction score
nyc;3912363 said:
Amazon doesn't set the price. The publishers do. Of course, Steve Jobs and Apple are applying higher price pressure by charging more for books on Apple's App Store (so their 30% results in more money), which the publishers then demand that Amazon charge the same amount.

Definitely not true for all books then, based on my shopping experience.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Temo;3912377 said:
Definitely not true for all books then, based on my shopping experience.

What isn't true? That the publishers set the price? Because they do. Not the book stores. (I used to work in the industry)

EDIT: Let me rephrase that. They set the minimum price. Amazon isn't purposely charging $35 for the Amazon version while the paperback is far cheaper. This is a known issue in the booksellers world. You can google it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I finally got around to watching the 1st episode of GOT.
Wow.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Viper;3912380 said:
Yes, they are twins, lovers.

First the blonde dude was feeling up his sister and then twins getting they freak on. :eek:

What kind of show is this? :laugh2:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3912474 said:
First the blonde dude was feeling up his sister and then twins getting they freak on. :eek:

What kind of show is this? :laugh2:

Why? Do you find something familiar about it? :muttley:

We all know BP does! :omg:

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
nyc;3912482 said:
Why? Do you find something familiar about it? :muttley:

We all know BP does! :omg:

That's Arkansas not TN....well maybe the Northeast corner around Knoxville lol

63echo

Reaction score
nyc;3912325 said:

This is why I've bought my last Kindle book. I love the device and it was awesome when I first got it (back when the publishers actually recognized the facts you laid out above), but the pricing has gotten so ridiculous that they've moved me right off the e-book train. I like the convenience, but not that much...especially for a book I can't lend out after I've finished.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3912355 said:

Yes. And in the history of House Targaryen, it was common for brother and sister's to marry. It mentioned in the book a few times early on, but I'm not sure if it will get mentioned on the show. Daenerys had always assumed she would marry Viserys someday, that is until he decided to offer her up to Drogo for his army.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
nyc;3912325 said:

That paperback set is what I just purchased recently to have a refresher. I still have about 500 pages to go on GoT, then the books start going over 1000 pages a piece. I hope I manage to finish before the next book. I may have to read more at home and not just at work.

Temo

Reaction score
nyc;3912421 said:
What isn't true? That the publishers set the price? Because they do. Not the book stores. (I used to work in the industry)

EDIT: Let me rephrase that. They set the minimum price. Amazon isn't purposely charging $35 for the Amazon version while the paperback is far cheaper. This is a known issue in the booksellers world. You can google it.

Ah that makes sense.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
63echo;3912869 said:
This is why I've bought my last Kindle book. I love the device and it was awesome when I first got it (back when the publishers actually recognized the facts you laid out above), but the pricing has gotten so ridiculous that they've moved me right off the e-book train. I like the convenience, but not that much...especially for a book I can't lend out after I've finished.

I love my Kindle and will keep buying books on it. I just won't buy the eBook when the prices are out of wack.

btw, you can lend out books? Every time I do, I might as well be giving them away cause I never get them back! It's not that bad though, I don't have enough space to keep them all. I only keep the ones I know I will read over and over. I usually don't lend those out unless I'm fully prepared to re-purchase them.

Temo

Reaction score
IIRC, you can but they make it so hard and cumbersome that most don't.

63echo

Reaction score
nyc;3914101 said:
I love my Kindle and will keep buying books on it. I just won't buy the eBook when the prices are out of wack.

btw, you can lend out books? Every time I do, I might as well be giving them away cause I never get them back! It's not that bad though, I don't have enough space to keep them all. I only keep the ones I know I will read over and over. I usually don't lend those out unless I'm fully prepared to re-purchase them.

Hell, what I'd REALLY like to see is the ebook included in the purchase of a physical copy, kind of how they do with some DVDs and bundled digital copies.

I'll still buy the self-published Kindle books and those from the smaller houses. There are some great ebooks out there (horror especially, for some reason) that are reasonably and sanely priced. I won't buy anymore big name ebooks though. What I WILL do is buy the physical copy and then ensure that it gets lent out as often as possible...it's my own petty little way of taking a stand.