Camelot, The Borgias, Game of Thrones.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3910926 said:
I agree.

Similar to Deadwood, I wish I could watch AGOT with subtitles.

I have read all the books but I still don't know who all the characters are just yet. Since I have the episode on my PC, I may just go back and watch parts of the episode again.

I am going to assume that one of the men that was getting a haircut with Jon Snow was Theon? I think he was the same one that was saying it was fitting for Jon to take the runt of the direwolf litter.

I think there will only be about 9-10 episodes, so things have to move fast if they are going to cover a book per season. Besides, it is impossible to put all the little details of the book into a movie or tv series.

I am a little underwhelmed by Cersei's character. I don't think the actress that plays her is unattractive but based on the book, this woman's beauty is on par with that of a goddess. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I didn't see any woman in the show that is worthy of goddess status.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I sit and watch with the jump backwards button in hand. I had to listen to the exchange about why Eddard doesn't fight in tournaments about 5 times before understanding what he said.

The great thing about not knowing the books is that details like the wife not being beautiful go completely unnoticed. Her character seemed fine to me as ancillary characters go and a good fit in terms of age/looks for Bean's character, but if she was significantly different than the picture I had in my head after reading the book, that would definitely be bothersome.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I can look past it because I don't think she is ugly, but when I read the books, I always pictured someone extraordinary beauty. One constant theme throughout the books about Cersei is how beautiful she is and how ruthless she is.

I am so happy for the TV series because I think it will put a lot pressure on GRRM to finish the series.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have not read the books so all of this is new to me (game of thrones).

I initially kind of took that the one Wife not being one would consider a beauty is the idea that she left home to move there and it has been a hard life in a harsh environment. You notice the one daughter is quite pretty and it makes you wonder (or it did me) if the Mother/Wife was also viewed like that at one time but changed her looks over the years.

This is a series (just only one episode so it could change) where not knowing the books can hurt someone in knowing some of the stuff as it seems like so far they are taking some things as the viewer should already know to a degree. I was kind of surprised that they moved to so many different areas and topics in the first episode in a manner that did not give the viewer (with no knowledge of the books) a good back ground of characters and story lines. Now I am sure that will change as the series goes along...I hope it does.

So far it has me hooked. So far the first episode has me more interested than the Borgias or Camelot. I am still interested in Camelot but so far this series seems more interesting...as far as the Borgias...I might just wait a few weeks and then catch up on some of the episodes as I have found it to be a bit of a let down so far.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3910978 said:
So far it has me hooked. So far the first episode has me more interested than the Borgias or Camelot. I am still interested in Camelot but so far this series seems more interesting...as far as the Borgias...I might just wait a few weeks and then catch up on some of the episodes as I have found it to be a bit of a let down so far.

I am pretty close to quitting on Camelot. I just don't care about any of the characters and what exactly is the plot? Camelot is built and they have Excalibur, so what else is there :laugh2: .

The Borgias is kind of slow. I have watched about 40 minutes of the first episode. Like you, I may just wait a few weeks and marathon a 6 or 7 episodes.

Viper

Reaction score
The only problem I have with the books is the long gaps between the books.

Here is a theory of mine though. Jon isn't Ned's true son, he is the son of Lyanna Stark and Robert Baratheon. Which would make him the only true son of the king.

The show followed the book surprisingly well.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
theogt;3910939 said:
I sit and watch with the jump backwards button in hand. I had to listen to the exchange about why Eddard doesn't fight in tournaments about 5 times before understanding what he said.

The great thing about not knowing the books is that details like the wife not being beautiful go completely unnoticed. Her character seemed fine to me as ancillary characters go and a good fit in terms of age/looks for Bean's character, but if she was significantly different than the picture I had in my head after reading the book, that would definitely be bothersome.
:laugh2:

I did the same thing. It seemed like what he said was so important, then when I understood that he basically said I don't let them know how I fight, I was like, "that's it?"

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Viper;3911002 said:
Here is a theory of mine though. Jon isn't Ned's true son, he is the son of Lyanna Stark and Robert Baratheon. Which would make him the only true son of the king.

I think you are correct about Lyanna but I suspect that another persons is his father. I believe there have been a few subtle hints as to who this person is throughout the book.

Viper

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3911031 said:
I think you are correct about Lyanna but I suspect that another persons is his father. I believe there have been a few subtle hints as to who this person is throughout the book.

It could be Rhaegar Targaryen, which would also fit into the story line. Ultimately, I see Darney's and Jon joining together, if Robert is his true father thier child would be the only true blooded king. Just a thought. Rhaegar had made Lyanna queen, he than banished her to the tower of joy. Robert and Lyanna had a relationship before Rhaegar Targaryen, I suspect he found her with Robert's child. Just my thoughts.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3910978 said:
This is a series (just only one episode so it could change) where not knowing the books can hurt someone in knowing some of the stuff as it seems like so far they are taking some things as the viewer should already know to a degree. I was kind of surprised that they moved to so many different areas and topics in the first episode in a manner that did not give the viewer (with no knowledge of the books) a good back ground of characters and story lines. Now I am sure that will change as the series goes along...I hope it does.

This is kinda how it is in the book as well. They didn't just do background info for the first book, like I've seen some series do, but instead added tidbits throughout. It eventually all comes together. I suspect over the next episode or two it will be much clearer.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3910991 said:
I am pretty close to quitting on Camelot. I just don't care about any of the characters and what exactly is the plot? Camelot is built and they have Excalibur, so what else is there :laugh2: .

The Borgias is kind of slow. I have watched about 40 minutes of the first episode. Like you, I may just wait a few weeks and marathon a 6 or 7 episodes.

Burning witches of course.

polls_monty_python_witch_701441_4054_88959_answer_5_xlarge.jpeg

63echo

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3910964 said:
I am so happy for the TV series because I think it will put a lot pressure on GRRM to finish the series.

This, this, and this! It's one of the reasons I'm praying that the show does well. Book 5 will be released in a few months a GRRM had better be hard at work on 6. No decade-long gap between the two, please.

Temo

Reaction score
I thought the show was good, with great promise moving forward.

I'm surprised people are hung up on the looks of the female characters. I thought all the choices worked just fine and Catelyn Stark was perfect, IMO.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Temo;3911423 said:
I thought the show was good, with great promise moving forward.

I'm surprised people are hung up on the looks of the female characters. I thought all the choices worked just fine and Catelyn Stark was perfect, IMO.

Actually, the thing about Catelyn that stood out the most for me was her objections about Bran watching the beheading. Unless my memory is completely failing me, that wasn't the case in the book (where Bran is only 7), and seemed slightly out of character. She also seemed a bit more subdued than I imagined her. She's a very strong and spirited character (at least after the thing with Bran passes) so hopefully that will come out more in future episodes. Of course I never pictured Catelyn to be stunning or anything (Cersei is a diffrent matter), but definitely younger with a bit more pep in her step.

As for Rickon, he was also in the background when Bran was practicing his archery.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
For those of you confused or whatnot over the relations of many of the characters:

cYKAi.jpg

There's a Baratheon brother missing there, as well as a lot of other characters that will come to light.

Temo

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3911534 said:
Actually, the thing about Catelyn that stood out the most for me was her objections about Bran watching the beheading. Unless my memory is completely failing me, that wasn't the case in the book (where Bran is only 7), and seemed slightly out of character. She also seemed a bit more subdued than I imagined her. She's a very strong and spirited character (at least after the thing with Bran passes) so hopefully that will come out more in future episodes. Of course I never pictured Catelyn to be stunning or anything (Cersei is a diffrent matter), but definitely younger with a bit more pep in her step.

As for Rickon, he was also in the background when Bran was practicing his archery.

Interesting. My impression of Catelyn from the books (which I haven't read in over 4 years) was that she was a strong woman who subverted herself to her husband (playing the role of the Lord's good wife).

(attempting no spoilers here) Then after the first significant event, she takes a more active role in her family's interests, and after the second, becomes a bit unhinged.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Temo;3911635 said:
Interesting. My impression of Catelyn from the books (which I haven't read in over 4 years) was that she was a strong woman who subverted herself to her husband (playing the role of the Lord's good wife).

(attempting no spoilers here) Then after the first significant event, she takes a more active role in her family's interests, and after the second, becomes a bit unhinged.

She knows her role for sure, but she's not one to seem so timid as she does in the first episode. I just started rereading the first book, and she isn't one to hold back too much.