Camelot, The Borgias, Game of Thrones.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
My only real complaint was the wedding of Daenerys and Drogo. If I remember correctly from the book, she was definitely upset on her wedding night, but I thought Drogo actually treated her decently. The show just made him look like a goon.

I'm pretty sure that was Theon getting his hair cut with Robb and Jon. I think he was also the guy that was going to kill the direwolves.

I've read the books (recently) and was working pretty hard to figure out the characters. I was basically providing Cliff Notes to my gf as we watched. She hadn't read the books and her only complaint was trying to figure out who was who. I think that will always be an issue with the huge cast of characters.

Overall, very good though. As others said, I hope this pressures GRRM to finish. I do think it helped push out the next one that comes out in July.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
junk;3916556 said:
My only real complaint was the wedding of Daenerys and Drogo. If I remember correctly from the book, she was definitely upset on her wedding night, but I thought Drogo actually treated her decently. The show just made him look like a goon.

I'm pretty sure that was Theon getting his hair cut with Robb and Jon. I think he was also the guy that was going to kill the direwolves.

I've read the books (recently) and was working pretty hard to figure out the characters. I was basically providing Cliff Notes to my gf as we watched. She hadn't read the books and her only complaint was trying to figure out who was who. I think that will always be an issue with the huge cast of characters.

Overall, very good though. As others said, I hope this pressures GRRM to finish. I do think it helped push out the next one that comes out in July.
I haven't watched the first episode yet, and I have not read the books. Shows with a big cast or with a big backstory I usually wait and marathon the first 2 or 3 episoes, in GoT probably the 1st 3.

I'll post my opinions then, from the P.o.V of someone who loves fantasy/sci-fi shows, but knew absolutely nothing about the game of thrones world.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3916559 said:
I haven't watched the first episode yet, and I have not read the books. Shows with a big cast or with a big backstory I usually wait and marathon the first 2 or 3 episoes, in GoT probably the 1st 3.

I'll post my opinions then, from the P.o.V of someone who loves fantasy/sci-fi shows, but knew absolutely nothing about the game of thrones world.
We wait anxiously with bated breath.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
theogt;3916561 said:
We wait anxiously with bated breath.

I know you do, I know you do. :)

but honestly i'm sure some people will be interested in the perspective for how to show translates to people that don't know that backstory.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
I'd make it my mission in life to get back at that ***** of a Queen as payback for Lady.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;3919844 said:
I'd make it my mission in life to get back at that ***** of a Queen as payback for Lady.
Well, yeah, that and she tried to kill their son. Heh.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sometime Sunday afternoon I went to the on demand channel and watched all of the short background stories they had for the show. 5-10 minutes videos that talked about this family or that, about some of the backgrounds.

For someone that has not read the books, It made it a little easier to grasp when watching the show.

BadWolf

Reaction score
Anyone else notice that Bran's wolf went from puppy to man-eater in a couple of days?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BadWolf;3919940 said:
Anyone else notice that Bran's wolf went from puppy to man-eater in a couple of days?

They all grew up pretty quickly.

Also he was not in a coma (if that was what it was) for a couple of days.

At the very least it was a month. I think the mother said she had been praying for a month, but she might have said monthS, before she left his side.

Another thing to consider, and I did not know this until I watched some of the extras on demand, the Dire Wolves are much bigger than a regular wolf. I have to wonder if they will show them as being much larger down the road or keep them about the same size as we seen on this last episode.

63echo

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;3919844 said:

Ooooh, boy. You don't know the half of it. Cersei is something else.

++++++++++++++

One bothersome thing about the show is Tyrion. In the show, not only is he relatively handsome, but his eyes are the same color. In the books, even before the events in King's Landing and the burning river, he is portrayed as being hideous and his eyes are two different colors.

That said, the actor is great and nails what I thought Tyrion would be all about. Kudos to him. Looking forward to him being featured more.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
What sucks is I like to read books before watching the stories, but if I'm going to watch this show, I'm not going to wait until I finish reading the books.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3919952 said:
They all grew up pretty quickly.

Also he was not in a coma (if that was what it was) for a couple of days.

At the very least it was a month. I think the mother said she had been praying for a month, but she might have said monthS, before she left his side.

Another thing to consider, and I did not know this until I watched some of the extras on demand, the Dire Wolves are much bigger than a regular wolf. I have to wonder if they will show them as being much larger down the road or keep them about the same size as we seen on this last episode.

Yes, they found the wolves before the King set out from King's Landing and that is a one month travel, then Bran is in a coma for a month, then they are almost back to King's Landing when Lady is killed, so you are looking at ~ 3 months at least. I don't recall the exact timeline from the books but it should be around that. Plus like you said, they are Dire Wolves.

ethiostar

Reaction score
63echo;3919987 said:
Ooooh, boy. You don't know the half of it. Cersei is something else.

++++++++++++++

One bothersome thing about the show is Tyrion. In the show, not only is he relatively handsome, but his eyes are the same color. In the books, even before the events in King's Landing and the burning river, he is portrayed as being hideous and his eyes are two different colors.

That said, the actor is great and nails what I thought Tyrion would be all about. Kudos to him. Looking forward to him being featured more.

I've only watched the first episode but the same thought did cross my mind. While i was reading the book, the person in my imagination playing that role was the guy from Lord of the Rings. He seemed to fit that character much better than the current actor playing him on HBO.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
ethiostar;3920108 said:
I've only watched the first episode but the same thought did cross my mind. While i was reading the book, the person in my imagination playing that role was the guy from Lord of the Rings. He seemed to fit that character much better than the current actor playing him on HBO.

That's what I remember thinking about Tyrion when I first read the series, that he was just an ugly disgusting thing, but now that I'm rereading the series, I think it is just his dwarfism that is considered hideous, not that he is deformed and grotesque or anything. I actually think Dinklage, and maybe Bean are the best casting choices in the series.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3922333 said:
That's what I remember thinking about Tyrion when I first read the series, that he was just an ugly disgusting thing, but now that I'm rereading the series, I think it is just his dwarfism that is considered hideous, not that he is deformed and grotesque or anything. I actually think Dinklage, and maybe Bean are the best casting choices in the series.
Oh, definitely.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I haven't decided if I want to wait and watch several episodes at a time or watch them 1 at a time.

I have not seen episode 2 yet.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Also, I'm sure people already knew, but since it wasn't reported in this thread, Game of Thrones has already been picked up for a second season by HBO.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
theogt;3922463 said:
Also, I'm sure people already knew, but since it wasn't reported in this thread, Game of Thrones has already been picked up for a second season by HBO.

I posted it in the thread.