Can Felix Jones carry the load if Barber goes down?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
There are less than 10 backs every year that carry the ball 20 times a game over a year. Last year i think it was only 5.

This whole line of reasoning that a back has to be able to carry the ball 25 times to be considered good is flawed in its assumptions. That is like saying that a back is not good unless he is LT or the like.

If we run the ball 30 times in a game that is a lot. We averaged 26 runs a game last year so if Jones gets 10 or so and Barber gets the rest that is perfect.

Really what people need to do is quit whining and think about who we can get as a third RB. Were in trouble if either of our top 2 go down at this point. I dont want to see any of our backs getting over 20 carries a game for an extended period of time.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2056588 said:
Were in trouble if either of our top 2 go down at this point. I dont want to see any of our backs getting over 20 carries a game for an extended period of time.

God that is sad.

AtlCB

Reaction score
RainMan;2056579 said:
Isn't there a draft adage saying you shouldn't fall in love with a player? I swear I hear that all the time, like when we took Quincy.

I just hope that isn't the case with Felix.

We practically admittedly passed on a player we had rated higher than the guy we took at the same position. As a generality, I dislike that practice.

Obviously, the hope here is that Felix is so versatile he adds a whole new dimension to the offense. If he does, this pick will be brilliant. If he's not quite that versatile, it could blow up in our face.
I think the Quincy comparison is not a good one. Jerry reached for a player that probably could have been drafted in the fourth. QC wasn't a second round talent. We were the laughingstock of the draft for that pick.

MONT17

Reaction score
I guesss what everyone should do is consider the source or track records of the teams involved... Jerry has a proven track record of drafting the wrong guy the Steelers really dont have that problem!

The Cowboys were the Laughing stock of the league because of Jerry... what has he done to make anyonr think he has changed since the last time he ran the draft!!!

sinner

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2056000 said:
Felix and Emmitt are two totally different backs, that comparsion is way off. Mendenhall was the best available talent and could fill a larger role on offense if Barber was injuried or anything.....really should have been a no brainer.....but oh well.

And no, Felix wouldn't be able to carry the load if Barber went down. He will compliment what we have, but asking him to become the man is asking a bit much of him at this point.

I'm not convinced Felix is a backup. I realized he was in a backup role, but I've seen him play. He could have started for any other team. He could have started at Arkansas if it hadn't been for Mcfadden.

Just my opinion.

AtlCB

Reaction score
MONT17;2056625 said:
I guesss what everyone should do is consider the source or track records of the teams involved... Jerry has a proven track record of drafting the wrong guy the Steelers really dont have that problem!

The Cowboys were the Laughing stock of the league because of Jerry... what has he done to make anyonr think he has changed since the last time he ran the draft!!!
The Steelers haven't been drafting well lately.

Cowboysfan22

Reaction score
I think that Felix Jones will be abl to carrie the full load. I don't know know why people keep on saying he can't handle the full load when he hasn't been given the full load. Although he did start a couple of games for at least two or three quarters. I think that with the elite numbers that he puts up he will be great.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2056594 said:
God that is sad.

Whats sad is your inability to understand what I was saying. i dont want ANY back not even LT carrying the rock 25 times for a season. Its not conducive to longevity nor freshness at the end of the year.

I wouldnt have wanted Mendenhall doing it either.

We need to find a decent 3rd RB. Is that difficult to understand?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
sinner;2056635 said:
I'm not convinced Felix is a backup. I realized he was in a backup role, but I've seen him play. He could have started for any other team. He could have started at Arkansas if it hadn't been for Mcfadden.

Just my opinion.

Jones has never been given a full load and failed. Its just an assumption that he would. Peete talked about how they would call plays if Jones had to take the load and said they would call it differently but he could do it.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2056750 said:
Whats sad is your inability to understand what I was saying. i dont want ANY back not even LT carrying the rock 25 times for a season. Its not conducive to longevity nor freshness at the end of the year.

I wouldnt have wanted Mendenhall doing it either.

We need to find a decent 3rd RB. Is that difficult to understand?

Not wanting a back to have to handle that load is totally different from a back not being able to handle that load at all.

What is sad is that I understood what you are saying and agreed with you, yet you have to take a shot at people anyway for no real reason at all.

Guess you can't resist attacking people for no reason.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2056761 said:
Not wanting a back to have to handle that load is totally different from a back not being able to handle that load at all.

What is sad is that I understood what you are saying and agreed with you, yet you have to take a shot at people anyway for no real reason at all.

Guess you can't resist attacking people for no reason.

No I attack knee jerking, reactionist chicken littles such as yourself. You were trying to intimate once again that our RB draft picks were deficient. In this case it was in their ability to 'carry the load.'

i have been reading your posts extensively.

I was pointing out that it wasn't sad as you were saying but rather it was just a reality of the NFL that almost no backs can do that and the are no backs I would want to do that if I could help it.

I have no intention of being used as part of your chicken little routine.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
It is fine to choose "a complementary back" so long as you don't delude yourself into thinking that your complementary back can do the same things as your base back - should your base back go down.

A natural consequence of picking F. Jones over Mendenhall is that the Cowboys' 3rd RB becomes much more important. That's just part of this package. ... and that's fine, so long as Jerry acts accordingly.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ZeroClub;2056848 said:
It is fine to choose "a complementary back" so long as you don't delude yourself into thinking that your complementary back can do the same things as your base back - should your base back go down.

A natural consequence of picking F. Jones over Mendenhall is that the Cowboys' 3rd RB becomes much more important. That's just part of this package. ... and that's fine, so long as Jerry acts accordingly.

RB's (3rd string that is) are a dime a dozen - no worries - we'll grab some shmo to be the 3rd back...this worrying about a 3rd string RB by some people is exasperating......

ZeroClub

Reaction score
Sarge;2056862 said:
RB's (3rd string that is) are a dime a dozen - no worries - we'll grab some shmo to be the 3rd back...this worrying about a 3rd string RB by some people is exasperating......

The Cowboys 3rd RB now needs to be a 2nd string caliber back, not a 3rd stringer.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ZeroClub;2056910 said:
The Cowboys 3rd RB now needs to be a 2nd string caliber back, not a 3rd stringer.

No he doesn't..........

VACowboy

Reaction score
I'm glad to see speed be a priority. I don't like the draft-in-case-we-need-a-backup mentality. I'd rather see impactful talent that we don't already have added to the roster.

If Barber gets injured, Jones won't have to "carry the load" any more than Barber does. He'll split carries with someone else. Does that mean a dropoff in talent? Sure. But that's what happens when second-string players are on the field.

I think Coleman is gonna surprise a lot of people.

ZeroClub

Reaction score
Sarge;2056912 said:
No he doesn't..........

The Saints thought that too.

But when you are forced to use your fine complementary back as your base back, your season goes down the crapper.

DT101

Reaction score
I really like the pick, but it feels like we got him too high for what he is.

We still got Jenkins at least, though