Can Felix Jones carry the load if Barber goes down?

superonyx

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2056385 said:
It's really sad that you can't see the reality that @ #22 Mendenhall would have been the pick to make. That is my opinion and I am more than welcomed to it. You calling me chicken little is hilarious. I'm far from that. Yes. I am absolutely pissed and even threw up a little in my throat earlier today thanks to our magnificent whiff. I surely hope Felix Jones pans out and I will root for anyone that wears the star but this feels strikingly familiar to the Stephen Jackson whiff. Only time will tell... That said, at this moment in time I will continue to not like the Felix pick. So you got chicken little off your chest. What's next?

I do not think that using the 22nd pick of the draft on mendenhall is at all a smart pick. We have a probowl running back. Wouldnt that be like drafting Brady Quinn last year when Romo is coming off of a probowl season.

The reality is that we didnt need a running back in the first round. Felix, Mendenhall, McFadden, anyone. It is a true testament to the talent of our team that we dont have any other needs that are so pressing that we had the luxury of drafting a running back.

We would have been better off trading for a WR like Roy Williams. But im sure he wasnt really available anyway.

Thanks for the compliment about my chicken little reference. I also thought it to be quiet humorous. Now please for the love of god go brush your nasty teeth. That vomit you were gargling earlier has to stink.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Star4Ever;2056397 said:
And you apparently need some instruction in reading comprehension. I never compared Jones to Emmitt or Sanders. I compared their relative sizes in order to refute your "scatback" claim, which is not only ridiculous on the surface but in substance as well. Carry on.

Find one place, ANY place in any of my posts where I said the word "scatback". I haven't said that word, you are just making it up and putting it on me......pathetic attempt really.

superonyx;2056400 said:
It was you that used a negative label on Felix Jones. So it is you that is very short sighted. You called and continue to call him a "scatback". So give us some examples of scatbacks that felix reminds you of. Have you ever seen him play? Come on fess up...

Do you know what makes less sense than drafting a running back that gives your offense more versatility in the first round? Drafting a running back that gives you what you already have in a proven player that is about to get a 30plus million dollar contract.

At least with Felix, you are adding a new element to our offense.
Why do you think he got on the field in Arkansas so much over the last 3 years with McFadden around. He must be able to do something right.

I have seen all of Felix's games, have you?????

Yes, I'm the first person that gave a real analysis of Felix in chat about his vision and wiggle. Now it has been repeated, and people like you are saying it like it was gospel. His cuts have always been good, seems to set up guys with is cutting ability using his vision to get the defenders off balance.

I like Felix as a player, just not as #22 right before Mendenhall. He does bring something to the team, I'm not denying that. But at that spot in this particular draft, he just doesn't bring enough.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
superonyx;2056433 said:
I do not think that using the 22nd pick of the draft on mendenhall is at all a smart pick. We have a probowl running back. Wouldnt that be like drafting Brady Quinn last year when Romo is coming off of a probowl season.

The reality is that we didnt need a running back in the first round. Felix, Mendenhall, McFadden, anyone. It is a true testament to the talent of our team that we dont have any other needs that are so pressing that we had the luxury of drafting a running back.

We would have been better off trading for a WR like Roy Williams. But im sure he wasnt really available anyway.

Thanks for the compliment about my chicken little reference. I also thought it to be quiet humorous. Now please for the love of god go brush your nasty teeth. That vomit you were gargling earlier has to stink.

I'm glad you make yourself laugh. That's quite a talent. The vomit tasted better the 2nd time down. I chased it with a Mendenhall sized bottle of Gatorade. I've been reading the board. Please stop trying to reinforce your own argument with snippets from others. Be original. Saying that Mendenhall is perhaps just another Barber is ridiculous. But, then again, it's only an opinion. All things being equal with regard to opinions, my opinion is that we'll regret not taking the stud at #22. If we "didn't need a RB in the 1st round" then why not take the best RB avail if you're going to take one at all? We're becoming very good at taking the 2nd best player available.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Jerry stated that it was basically a "coin flip" between Mendenhall and Jones. IMO he picked Jones because Jones can not only share carries with Barber, but return kicks as well. IMO any back that is 6' 0"-200 lbs. is not a "scatback". I liked Medenhall and would of been happy if the Cowboys would of picked him, but I did have some reservations about him being a 1 year wonder in a weak conference. I also noticed that ESPN's Chris Mortensen and NFL Network's Mike Mayok, both of whose opinions I highly respect, gave a glowing endorsement on the Cowboys selecting Jones. Bottom line is that Jones and Mendenhall were pretty close in draft grade/value, but Jerry picked Jones because Jones offers more versatility than Mendenhall does.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2056437 said:
Find one place, ANY place in any of my posts where I said the word "scatback". I haven't said that word, you are just making it up and putting it on me......pathetic attempt really.

He was all worked up and was confusing you with me. Quite funny actually. I noticed it but let it slide. I figured you wouldn't like it. :)

superonyx

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2056437 said:

I have seen all of Felix's games, have you?????

Yes, I'm the first person that gave a real analysis of Felix in chat about his vision and wiggle. Now it has been repeated, and people like you are saying it like it was gospel. His cuts have always been good, seems to set up guys with is cutting ability using his vision to get the defenders off balance.

I like Felix as a player, just not as #22 right before Mendenhall. He does bring something to the team, I'm not denying that. But at that spot in this particular draft, he just doesn't bring enough.

So you are the amazing talent evaluator that spoke so highly of felix jones in "chat". The guys that everyone "like me" has been using like its gospel.
And i supposed it is your evaluation that the guys like Mcshay and Kipper are also repeating.... you must really be good. That must have been one powerful sermon you gave in "chat".

Now dont you have some unfinished business in your World of Warcraft chat group.
But thanks for coming here any straightening out us guys "like me".

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2056451 said:
He was all worked up and was confusing you with me. Quite funny actually. I noticed it but let it slide. I figured you wouldn't like it. :)

:laugh:

Oh ok, doesn't matter to me really, I was wondering where he got that from.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
superonyx;2056457 said:
So you are the amazing talent evaluator that spoke so highly of felix jones in "chat". The guys that everyone "like me" has been using like its gospel.
And i supposed it is your evaluation that the guys like Mcshay and Kipper are also repeating.... you must really be good. That must have been one powerful sermon you gave in "chat".

Now dont you have some unfinished business in your World of Warcraft chat group.

Dude. You're killing me with your veiled attempts at trash talk. Have you hit puberty yet?

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Yes I did confuse you two and the "scatback" comment. However, he made a comment about me comparing Jones to Emmitt and Sanders and I simply pointed out all I was comparing was their realtive sizes. He should read before typing and he'd know why I mentioned Emmitt and Sanders and would realize I was not comparing their talents.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
superonyx;2056457 said:

You didn't answer the question....how much have YOU seen Felix play??

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Star4Ever;2056463 said:
Yes I did confuse you two and the "scatback" comment. However, he made a comment about me comparing Jones to Emmitt and Sanders and I simply pointed out all I was comparing was their realtive sizes. He should read before typing and he'd know why I mentioned Emmitt and Sanders and would realize I was not comparing their talents.

Doesn't matter to me, I don't really care enough to be some internet tough guy and fight about it really......all this discussion is doing is making me too sleepy to go out tonight....which is what I need to be doing anyway.

superonyx

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2056461 said:
Dude. You're killing me with your veiled attempts at trash talk. Have you hit puberty yet?

Trash talk? It is you that is so angry over something you have no control over. I am obviously messing around on a message board that you apparently take way to seriously.

Puberty? Who is the one with a picture of the soup chef and tiki in their signature line?

Lighten up buddy. Its a message board and we have a long time before the season starts and you can realize how wrong you really are when mendenhall does absolutely nothing this year and you are cheering for Felix Jones.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
superonyx;2056477 said:
Trash talk? It is you that is so angry over something you have no control over. I am obviously messing around on a message board that you apparently take way to seriously.

Puberty? Who is the one with a picture of the soup chef and tiki in their signature line?

Lighten up buddy. Its a message board and we have a long time before the season starts and you can realize how wrong you really are when mendenhall does absolutely nothing this year and you are cheering for Felix Jones.

You're waaay too much for me. You win the internets. Good night Johnboy.

superonyx

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2056465 said:
You didn't answer the question....how much have YOU seen Felix play??

Well i did see the you tube highlight video and he looked fast with that "i cant drive 55" music playing in the background.

haha... of course i have seen felix play enough to see what he brings to the table. I have not broken down every run he has made though. I leave that up to the experts that Jerry hires. And they seem to feel good about Felix.

Does that answer satisfy your curiosity?

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
superonyx;2056484 said:
Well i did see the you tube highlight video and he looked fast with that "i cant drive 55" music playing in the background.

haha... of course i have seen felix play enough to see what he brings to the table. I have not broken down every run he has made though. I leave that up to the experts that Jerry hires. And they seem to feel good about Felix.

Does that answer satisfy your curiosity?

OK, well nothing wrong with not seeing him all that much, point is, don't assume that everyone else has seen him less than you. I have seen all his games in college that were on TV, or else I wouldn't feel so strongly about it.

I have both positive and negative comments about Felix. I just believe we took him way too high, and before Mendenhall makes it worse. And don't mention that tuna like TE pick, should have just traded that pick if nothing else was there of better value for the team.

AtlCB

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2056087 said:
Well, who says Mendenhall can't fill the same role as Felix, plus give us the ability to replace Barber if needed?? Noone knows at this point.

A complimentary back isn't taken in the first round. Deciding to draft guys who are exclusively backups in the first round, is not very smart.
Mendenhall looks like a really bad fit as a complementary back. He has the same running style as Barber, isn't a very good blocker, and isn't a very good receiver.

thewivil

Reaction score
I think you're looking at it from the wrong point of view.

It makes much more sense to draft a player that can add another dimension to the running game rather than to add the same ingredient to the recipe.

AtlCB

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2056159 said:
History has shown that when a large majority of our fans are in an uproar over a pick it's for good reason and turns out to be accurate. Let's hope it didn't just happen again today.

Some names that come to mind...

Bobby Carpenter
Julius Jones

ZZZ
I remember a larger uproar over the Newman pick than over Carpenter or Jones. I think Newman turned out to be a decent player.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
We still don't know if Marion Barber can carry the load if Felix Jones goes down, so why worry whether Jones can carry the load if Barber goes down?

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Isn't there a draft adage saying you shouldn't fall in love with a player? I swear I hear that all the time, like when we took Quincy.

I just hope that isn't the case with Felix.

We practically admittedly passed on a player we had rated higher than the guy we took at the same position. As a generality, I dislike that practice.

Obviously, the hope here is that Felix is so versatile he adds a whole new dimension to the offense. If he does, this pick will be brilliant. If he's not quite that versatile, it could blow up in our face.