Can we discuss Maher?

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
It was kind of sad watching the whole sequence of events. At first a lot of players were getting frustrated with him. After he missed the fourth one players actually begin to sympathize and realized he just was not right in the head. I think they actually started feeling sorry for this guy. Now given the score, that’s probably why. If it was a close game he might not have gotten that same level of sympathy. Bottom line, the guy has to go. When the camera went up to old Jerry in the booth, you could see after he missed the third kick, he was like, “I’ve seen enough”
There’s lots of good kickers out there floating around. The difference between the very best kicker and an average kicker at the NFL level isn’t much. An average kicker is still gonna make 85 to 90% of his kicks. What we got now? Couldn’t hit the side of the barn right now.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Clearly not enough of you are aware of the spontaneous swirling wind and terrible field conditions in Tampa last night.

More seriously, Maher was a great comeback story, and in DAL of all places. Can he reverse opinions twice? And this time, in the space of a few days?

Not sure we have any choice in the matter... alternatives can't be great, either.

NeverBeGameOver

Reaction score
Why risk it? Just imagine getting eliminated because we kept him even after seeing this meltdown. He's been good, but he's in his own head right now. Every single kick he takes will have so much added pressure. Can't have that... He has to go.

Will a replacement be as good as he's been this year? Probably not. But i'll take someone who will make the gimmes.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Clearly not enough of you are aware of the spontaneous swirling wind and terrible field conditions in Tampa last night.

More seriously, Maher was a great comeback story, and in DAL of all places. Can he reverse opinions twice? And this time, in the space of a few days?

Not sure we have any choice in the matter... alternatives can't be great, either.
I like your thinking, bro'. Imagine him kicking the winning FG in the Superbowl for 65 yards. Yes sir, I'd take that in a heartbeat. :)

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
They will need ever point next week. At this stage, you can't switch Kickers. He has work through whatever is biting him between the ears. I bet his issue is with short kicks where he has to work through the angle of approach.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Was the strangest thing ever. They needed to let him kick some 50 yarders to get his head right. Luckily we didn’t need the points. But some gamblers may have needed the 34 points instead of 30.

glimmerman

Reaction score
One of the most bizarre turnarounds(for the bad) that I have witnessed in all my years of watching ball.

After being so money for the whole year...

Truly a head scratcher.
Scary. I thought after the first one he would turn it around. Every point is needed in the playoffs. He will be kicking EP all week.

cowboyec

Reaction score
at the time i thought we'd be getting a new kicker.
but i don't think so now.
and especially after hearing jerry jones address it in his presser after the game.
he kicked himself into a slump...gotta kick himself out of it.
i think FINALLY making that last xtra pt might actually be good for him.

buddieluver

Reaction score
He actually missed 5 straight XP because he missed his last attempt during the regular season.

blueblood70

Reaction score
he made th last one.. better have him kicking about 50 of those each day with the LS, holder etc all doing it the way they do it in game and while doing it im shooting his with a firehouse water stream and making this like bootcamp for kickers..shocking.

you cant Change kickers in the playoffs and mahers was great up until the last 2 games. Not sure what is going on but get it fixed. it might be the eay the snap and ball set is because it sesm slow and the ball is late to get set at times and its messing with his head

Wilson

Reaction score
yea lets just push it off until its too late
You and I discussing this will have no relevance to the outcome. Discussing it immediately after the win isn't necessary. I'll take time to enjoy the win and hope to understand what "they" (the organization) choose to do about it in the coming days.

blueblood70

Reaction score
at the time i thought we'd be getting a new kicker.
but i don't think so now.
and especially after hearing jerry jones address it in his presser after the game.
he kicked himself into a slump...gotta kick himself out of it.
i think FINALLY making that last xtra pt might actually be good for him.
true and well im putting this dude on grass field this week and making him practice kicking about 50 XPs each day with the LS, holder etc all doing it the way they do it in game and while doing it im shooting his with a firehouse water stream and making this like bootcamp for kickers..shocking.

you cant Change kickers in the playoffs and mahers was great up until the last 2 games. Not sure what is going on but get it fixed. it might be the way the snap and ball set is because it seems slow and the ball is late to get set at times and its messing with his head.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Poor Maher. Last week folks were saying he was a pro bowl, all pro snub. Now he needs to be replaced.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can’t cut him without someone to sign
I’d bring him in today and have him kick a few hundred balls
It’s not like there are better options out there
I'd have more confidence in Jeff Heath kicking extra points right now. Tons of kicker options out there.