Can we discuss Maher?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Here's the thing. I can tell you having been a kicker that all kickers have a bad game every now and then. He'd only missed 2 prior to this game. I think he's got to fix his mechanics, but no harm done as long as he fixes it this week.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He had a bad game. We don’t get rid of other players for a bad game. It happens to everyone from time to time.

Uh no. Actually , no kicker in the history of the NFL has missed 4 extra points in one game. Maher is in rarified putrid air. He's got a psych issue and we can't have it rolling into SF.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
What vet free agents are out there? Anyone on our practice squad?

Maher better be in the practice facility right now.

Kellsbells

Reaction score
It’s amazing how quickly people turn on people. Does no one remember the 2 back to back 60 yarders? Guy had a bad game, hopefully it doesn’t stay in his head. He’s been money all year, set the franchise single-season point record.
How many kickers did we bring into camp to try to replace him? Was it 3? None were any good and they decided to bring him back. It’s not easy to go get a replacement with a game in 6 days, and they have much more important things to focus on. Put in the work, fix the mechanics and fundamentals, try to get him some confidence, and go get the 49ers.

mardwin

Reaction score
Nothing to discuss, Maher made the decision for the coaches by missing 4 consecutive PAT from 33 yards. He also missed against the commanders. Before his last kick he missed 5 consecutive kicks from 33 yards. The team needs a new kicker.

silvernblu

Reaction score
The betting total for tonights game was 45.5 and it ended on 45. (31-14)

Brett Maher also missed 4 XPs.

Just sayin'
Did you hear about the guy who bet $1.4 million on SD with a 27-0 lead.

Would have only made 11k. Lost it all.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
First and foremost we have to bring a new kicker. Psychologically It’s over. If you watch kickers warm up before a game, if you ever go to a live game, they kick about 75 to 100 kicks from various distances. Just a snapper holder and they kick it. They never miss. Never. I’m talking 100 out of 100 kicks right down the middle. It’s the pressure of the game that makes these guys miss. This is why opposing coaches will often try to ice the kicker. Because it’s effective.
There was once a second baseman for the New York Yankees who made a bad throw to first base. It got in his head. He literally could not throw to first base anymore. His throws went all over the place and he had to retire prematurely. He even saw a psychiatrist over it. Our kicker is now in that position. Even if we have to bring up a semi washed up old retired kicker it will be better than what we’ve got now. Trust me.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, he's gone from "money" Maher to "Melting" Maher in the span of one game. Incredible.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I think he's done enough to give him a pass. Had he not made the last one, maybe a different discussion. Raise your hand if you were just a bit concerned at 24-6 with Tampa going for two? :oops:
I would give him a pass but you gotta bring someone in and he has to be active next week just in case

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Since the NFL recently banned the use of a foreign substance to help with the kicking game, could this be affecting him?

conner01

Reaction score
I would give him a pass but you gotta bring someone in and he has to be active next week just in case
I don’t know who you’d bring in and they aren’t activating 2 kickers in a playoff game

conner01

Reaction score
Since the NFL recently banned the use of a foreign substance to help with the kicking game, could this be affecting him?
No
It was foreign objects and mostly because of what the raiders did on KO
Lifting the ball shouldn’t matter on an extra point
It’s just having his swing off

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
First and foremost we have to bring a new kicker. Psychologically It’s over. If you watch kickers warm up before a game, if you ever go to a live game, they kick about 75 to 100 kicks from various distances. Just a snapper holder and they kick it. They never miss. Never. I’m talking 100 out of 100 kicks right down the middle. It’s the pressure of the game that makes these guys miss. This is why opposing coaches will often try to ice the kicker. Because it’s effective.
There was once a second baseman for the New York Yankees who made a bad throw to first base. It got in his head. He literally could not throw to first base anymore. His throws went all over the place and he had to retire prematurely. He even saw a psychiatrist over it. Our kicker is now in that position. Even if we have to bring up a semi washed up old retired kicker it will be better than what we’ve got now. Trust me.
Exactly. Knoblauch. That's my fear - that he has the kicker version of the yips.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I don’t know who you’d bring in and they aren’t activating 2 kickers in a playoff game
I am not sure either but you can’t go into a game with that again and I hate to cut him after the year he has had.

conner01

Reaction score
I am not sure either but you can’t go into a game with that again and I hate to cut him after the year he has had.
You can’t cut him without someone to sign
I’d bring him in today and have him kick a few hundred balls
It’s not like there are better options out there