Can we stop the Eagles push?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
And by this I mean that rugby scrum technique they use on fourth down to get a couple yards that has in no small form push them to the top of the NFC East and made them a contender for a super bowl.
Playing a team that only has to get 8 yards in three Downs and is pretty much guaranteed the other two is a handicap not many teams can overcome.

At this point after watching the success rate of this play my feeling is it needs to come to a screeching halt and the only way to accomplish that is make the risk not worth the reward.

I think there's not much else to do but take the penalty and do whatever you have to do to their quarterback to stop this play.
Your thoughts
Agreed, brother.

Go after Hurts' knees, blow one or both out, eliminate the dirty tush-push threat. Send the message to Siriani that if he wants to continue playing dirty ball, so will we along with other teams.

DZSierra

Reaction score
I never said to hurt anyone I clarified it in later post so just get over it and stop being a whining little baby.
This is an adult conversation about a situation that we will face that could have drastic playoff implications.
If you want to cry about the eagles possibly getting hurt go back to your own sandbox and do it as I will say for about the 10th time I never indicated I wanted to hurt anyone. There are many things you can be penalized for without hurting anyone
No one put words in your mouth.

I have no qulams with holding an adult conversation, generally however I deal with men who if they admit to a mistake, they do so.

No worries!

Deionindahood

Reaction score
Sooner or later this is gonna happen.
They're gonna be in a playoff game or even a Super Bowl, time running out inside the 10 yd line. They're just going to run that play four times and nobody is gonna stop them.
It's rugby.
It's crap, ban it.
Just eliminate pushing the ball carrier.
Why is it crap? Maybe we should ban soccer style kicking too? How about picks, that's basketball. Stop it or copy it.

DZSierra

Reaction score
Agreed, brother.

Go after Hurts' knees, blow one or both out, eliminate the dirty tush-push threat. Send the message to Siriani that if he wants to continue playing dirty ball, so will we along with other teams.
I missed it. Exactly how is the tush push playing "dirty ball"?

If it's "dirty ball", why hasn't the NFL banned the play?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Why is it cheating..is it because other teams cannot stop or perfect it? I personally wish we did it.
It's not. Pushing players is allowed, pulling them is not. However, I think essentially having a scrum on the field will eventually lead to a QB being hurt. Since it has not yet, though, I don't see a reason for the league to put a stop to it.

Blackrain

Reaction score
In our Hay Day we had a defensive genius coaching our team in Tom Landry I feel sure he would have come up with a plan for this after having it done to him the first time.
He would have had big bodies stacked on that line and behind them like cordwood to stop this play. And like the eagles have their timing perfect Landry would have his defenses timing perfect to counteract this.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If the play is Legal for the Eagles™, then why isn't everyone taking advantage of it?

Odd that there are 31 other teams in the League unable to execute this type of play with even close to the same effectiveness the Eagles achieve. Is their O-line really THAT epically dominant?
If you look at how the Eagles run it, it's different than how other teams do it, primarily with what the two backs do. Most don't really have the two players in the backfield pushing their QB, but basically just supporting him. Philly has them shoving Hurts forward. On top of that, you have to have a QB with some power to run it, and Hurts appears to have that power in his leg drive.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I'm a fan of putting more defensive tackles in the game and running them up behind the down lineman to gain momentum and then trying gauge the snap count hitting that line with more Force than they can contain and if we gauge it wrong we take the penalty and move on

Sydla

Reaction score
If the play is Legal for the Eagles™, then why isn't everyone taking advantage of it?

Odd that there are 31 other teams in the League unable to execute this type of play with even close to the same effectiveness the Eagles achieve. Is their O-line really THAT epically dominant?
Their interior OL is very, very good and has a very good and smart center. Hurts is also freakishly strong in his lower body which allows him to push forward compared to most other QBs.

It's not cheating. They just found a scenario where their pieces fit perfectly to pull off what seems like a fairly simple play. I don't think there is a team in the NFL equipped like they are to run a play like that.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I missed it. Exactly how is the tush push playing "dirty ball"?

If it's "dirty ball", why hasn't the NFL banned the play?
The pro-Eagles NFL can do whatever they want. I would target Hurts' knees just to teach them all a lesson.

Blackrain

Reaction score
At the end of the day we are going to face this play in the regular season and quite possibly in the playoffs.
I don't know about you guys but if we are going to get to the super bowl I think we're going to have to go through the eagles.

From what I read they convert this play over 93% of the time if we can't stop it there is a very good chance that it will cost us the opportunity to move on in the tournament. This one play enables them to do something no one else in the league can do.

I'll stand on record now if we don't make it a priority to stop it it is going to hurt us later on.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Exactly brother if we overrun the snap and get the penalty so what they were going to get it anyway but if we cause them to false start all of a sudden that's not a give me play and they might have to punt.
Taking the penalty has nothing to do with hurting anybody.
But what's important is the change of possession them being able to continually convert on fourth down lets them sustain drives and maintain possession this leads to winning the game without a doubt.
If we can change the outcome of even one of those push plays it could change the outcome of a game.
Thing is, it wouldn't take long for them to adjust, and just not snap the ball. So after the first time, then you should stop to avoid the offsides penalty, and it could throw them off, but watch for a screen pass or something. Then randomly risk it once or twice, depending on how many times they get the opportunity to do the Tush Push. (That's what I'm calling it, I don't care what they try to rename it.)

Sydla

Reaction score
Basically, I think you have to do what the Bills tried. Just guess the snap and time it right.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
How are you gonna do that, with at least one OL between us and him? ...Also, don't do that cheap crap.
You do it during the other downs and early in the game. Aim at his knees and permanently take him out the rest of the season. Let's see those dirty birds and their crooked coach try their tush-push again.

Do it again? Pay the price!

Blackrain

Reaction score
The pro-Eagles NFL can do whatever they want. I would target Hurts' knees just to teach them all a lesson.
Guess he never watched the guy spear Michael Irvin in the back with his helmet and end his career then have the eagles fans all cheering Michael' being paralyzed on the field.
Talk about dirty Play the eagles wrote the book.
Can't believe some of these bleeding heart cry babies worried that we might somehow hurt the eagles.