Can we stop the Eagles push?

Gambit

Reaction score
No defensive coordinator has been able to figure it out in 2 seasons. I've seen fans suggesting trying to break linemen's arms and try to injure the qb. Classy stuff. So I doubt you'll find any real answers here.

Only way I have seen to stop it is to avoid it. Gotta avoid 3rd and 2.
Or 4th and 2.

That's the advantage of the play it's virtually guaranteed to produce yardage.

So even 3rd and long doesn't help if they get within 2 yards.

mote

Reaction score
Highly unlikely. A short-term goal is preventing their offense from getting into short down-and-distance situations.

A long-term alternative is punishing the linemen creating the initial push. To do so, defensive linemen must get longer than the offensive linemen and aim for their knees. It is a dirty tactic but players and coaches alike like not feel as comfortable employing the tush push if there are physical repercussions using it.
But Eagles fans threw snowballs at a drunk Santa...

Blackrain

Reaction score
Thing is, it wouldn't take long for them to adjust, and just not snap the ball. So after the first time, then you should stop to avoid the offsides penalty, and it could throw them off, but watch for a screen pass or something. Then randomly risk it once or twice, depending on how many times they get the opportunity to do the Tush Push. (That's what I'm calling it, I don't care what they try to rename it.)
In my mind it's just a quarterback sneak where they are allowing players to push the quarterback from behind not every team can do it with the skill that the eagles can .
I believe they had a rugby coach from Scotland come over and help them with their technique they have put their time in to make this play work in their favor it's not something that was devised overnight.

And stopping it will probably not be accomplished overnight but you need a coach that makes it a priority and realizes that you are definitely facing this team at least twice a year and quite probably a third time in the playoffs and that this one play can probably change your whole season if it is not counteracted at some point.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Guess he never watched the guy spear Michael Irvin in the back with his helmet and end his career then have the eagles fans all cheering Michael' being paralyzed on the field.
Talk about dirty Play the eagles wrote the book.
Can't believe some of these bleeding heart cry babies worried that we might somehow hurt the eagles.
They probably never played the sport.

One written rule my ex-teammates and I had, if an opposing team starts playing dirty or abusing a certain privilege to sneakingly/cowardly try to beat you, we would take action among ourselves on the field and do whatever it took to take out the threat and send a message.

Blackrain

Reaction score
They probably never played the sport.

One written rule my ex-teammates and I had, if an opposing team starts playing dirty or abusing a certain privilege to sneakingly/cowardly try to beat you, we would take action among ourselves on the field and do whatever it took to take out the threat and send a message.
Yeah after watching what the eagles and their fans have done to our players over the years very hard to worry about them getting hurt or their feelings I leave that for the kinder gentler kitty cats on the forum here to worry about.

I'm more interested in finding a way to stop this play because I know it's going to bite Us in the end and keep us from moving towards our goal.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yeah after watching what the eagles and their fans have done to our players over the years very hard to worry about them getting hurt or their feelings I leave that for the kinder gentler kitty cats on the forum here to worry about.

I'm more interested in finding a way to stop this play because I know it's going to bite Us in the end and keep us from moving towards our goal.
All is fair in war. Never admit to it in public, but do what you need to do to win because the other teams certainly are doing it, especially a lifelong rival.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Hey A C. back in the day if we could have perfected that play all those passes that Romo threw one yard short of the first down to Jason Witten we could have converted and probably won a super bowl. Lol. Sorry guys I'm way off topic but that just hit me I couldn't help myself I apologize

mote

Reaction score
All is fair in war. Never admit to it in public, but do what you need to do to win because the other teams certainly are doing it, especially a lifelong rival.
By this logic, you'd be perfectly okay with an Eagles D-lineman taking a cheap shot at Dak and ending his season? I mean, "all is fair in war", right? Reality is, everyone would be up in arms, screaming about how dirty the Eagles players are, the fans, the city, etc.

It's appalling to see how rabid people are about what amounts to a game, and the visceral desire to see other humans hurt, their lives altered, professional careers put in jeopardy, just so that they can celebrate a "victory".

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
By this logic, you'd be perfectly okay with an Eagles D-lineman taking a cheap shot at Dak and ending his season? I mean, "all is fair in war", right? Reality is, everyone would be up in arms, screaming about how dirty the Eagles players are, the fans, the city, etc.

It's appalling to see how rabid people are about what amounts to a game, and the visceral desire to see other humans hurt, their lives altered, professional careers put in jeopardy, just so that they can celebrate a "victory".
THEY ARE ALREADY DOING IT!!!!!!!

LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED TO DAK IN 2020 AND HOW THE NFL HAS REFUSED TO OUTLAW THAT DIRTY HIP-DROP "TACKLE"!!!!!!!

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
If inside the 2yd line, I would tee off early on their OL and push them back into Hurts. Take the half the distance, rinse, and repeat as long as they keep lining up in that formation. At some point one of two things will happen:
- They will be wary of getting free shots on their players and/or
- After 10 straight penalties bringing the game to a standstill the league will do something about it.

mote

Reaction score
THEY ARE ALREADY DOING IT!!!!!!!

LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED TO DAK IN 2020 AND HOW THE NFL HAS REFUSED TO OUTLAW THAT DIRTY HIP-DROP "TACKLE"!!!!!!!
I'm not sure what you are referring to, but his ankle injury in 2020 was against the Giants. Anyway, why would anyone celebrate injuries. I prefer to see the best players challenge each other and compete for victory.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are referring to, but his ankle injury in 2020 was against the Giants. Anyway, why would anyone celebrate injuries. I prefer to see the best players challenge each other and compete for victory.
You do you! I will do me!

mote

Reaction score
May I suggest rugby or better yet australian rules football!
These sports are great because you can't play with morbidly obese lineman that barely run 10 yards without needing oxygen. Even the bigger players have to be athletic and move constantly, like Jordan Mailata did prior to transitioning to the NFL.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Eagles have converted 13 or 14 times on fourth down this year in the top of the league we've converted seven can't help it think if someone had an answer to that push they would have converted many less and lost a couple more games as they have been down in games at the half and had to come back and squeak out wins just my opinion.
This play has made a significant difference in their season.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Okay. Just remember this the next time Dak or CeeDee suffers a "cheap shot" injury. It was totally "fair"!
The eagles fans would still cheer any cheap shot or injury to our players trust me they didn't get civilized 30 years later they're the same animals they were in the 90s and the 70s they hate our guts.
That whole piece of spit City lives to hate the Cowboys if it came down to loving the eagles or hating the Cowboys I think they would take hating the Cowboys because we rub their nose in it so bad in the 70s. The smell of losing just never came all the way out they still live with the embarrassment of that decade.