Carter is the pick

Plankton

Reaction score
While I love the value, and don't have a particular concern with the knee, I question the scheme fit here. I don't know if he's strong enough to play inside in a 3-4 and take on guards in the run game. Hope I'm wrong.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
bbailey423;3931019 said:
but wait...weren't we told by the braintrust on this board that Bradie James is not a problem with this defense...let's examine the last 3 drafts....with our first pick in the 2009 draft we pick an ILB...with our 2nd pick in the 2010 draft we pick an ILB (and a guy we had rated 16th on our board)...and with our 2nd pick in the 2011 draft we pick an ILB....I guess we are sending a message to Keith Brooking?

Do you really expect Brooking to be around much longer? Seriously...

Everson24

Reaction score
Something about that video clip reminded me of Bobby Carpenter but I cant quite put my finger on it. ;)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
jterrell;3930985 said:
thanks for the video....

i did not not like what i saw in that tho:(
he did not look like a big hitter at all and was definitely an olb in a 4-3 on the weak side. his tackling left a lot to be desired in that clip.

r2 is wayyy too early to draft nickel LBs:(

i officially hate this pick.

Well, Norm said he did start out as a safety... Not surprising he wouldn't be a bruiser as a LB, I guess.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3931040 said:
Well, Norm said he did start out as a safety... Not surprising he wouldn't be a bruiser as a LB, I guess.
We have the one-man wrecking crew opposite him in Lee. We need another ILB that is good in coverage/space.

laythewood28

Reaction score
Man I feel like were are drafting Sean Lee all over again. Last year we had the same Debby downers complaining about drafting a linebacker with a knee problem and yet complain we don't do nothing to to replace Bradie James. we did, open your eyes.

Prime21

Reaction score
Everson24;3931039 said:
Something about that video clip reminded me of Bobby Carpenter but I cant quite put my finger on it. ;)

it seemed like he was always covering a WR in the video. i dont think we will ask him to man up on the slot receiver.

Woods

Reaction score
The Cowboys made the B Carter pick asap. They didn't even wait. They knew that they wanted him.

And, good grief, I'm fairly confident they have done their homework on his ACL injury. :bang2:

Qbert

Reaction score
from espn
8(40)DallasBruce CarterOLBNorth Carolina*What he brings: Carter has had problems holding ground when teams run at him but he has the quick feet and lateral agility to slip blocks. He is a sideline-to-sideline run defender and has potential in coverage, and he could become a valuable special teams contributor. He is coming of a season-ending knee injury, but the fact that Dallas took him this early is an indication that they are comfortable with him. How he fits: This looks like an excellent need selection. Both inside starters, Bradie James and Keith Brooking, were just average last year and Carter should be able to step in at RILB as Brooking is near the end of a great career. Young Sean Lee looks like a developing player and the future duo of Carter and Lee at ILB really makes this position look good.[/B

burmafrd

Reaction score
They would have made sure the surgery went well. It was over 4 months ago I believe.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
baj1dallas;3931049 said:
doesn't look like a real physical player to me, certainly not like James..

thats what i see as well...

i loved the sean lee pick but this is like sean lee light.
this guy is fast but not a physical player in the limited stuff i have seen.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
I see a 4-2-5 with now two LB's who can actaully cover TE's and RB's, plus the ability to blitz.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
cobra;3931007 said:
Boy, I sure hope our scouts did their job and looked at that youtube video before they drafted this guy.

ROTFLMAO! You're on a roll here. I can't get this image out of my head of cowboyvic in the back of our hall ****ting on the floor.:laugh2:

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell;3931032 said:
I have never focused on so just commenting on the video clips.

He is definitely fast but also isn't a very physical guy for a LB. At least not in the clips on youtube.

And he was ranked very high at one point as a 4-3 OLB. Can he play inside in the 3-4? Can he stop the run in the NFL where players are much more physical? Is he healthy?

Wayyy too many questions for me at pick 40.
I don't like this pick at all. It is probably my least favorite of the past 5 years. Maybe that means he becomes a super-stud with my track record but I don't see the fit for us or the value.

So you've never focused on him other than the youtube video clips but it's your least favorite pick in 5 years?

oooooooook.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
jterrell;3931032 said:
I have never focused on so just commenting on the video clips.

He is definitely fast but also isn't a very physical guy for a LB. At least not in the clips on youtube.

And he was ranked very high at one point as a 4-3 OLB. Can he play inside in the 3-4? Can he stop the run in the NFL where players are much more physical? Is he healthy?

Wayyy too many questions for me at pick 40.
I don't like this pick at all. It is probably my least favorite of the past 5 years. Maybe that means he becomes a super-stud with my track record but I don't see the fit for us or the value.

The Cowboys have a new strength and condition coach that can build him up...he has a defensive coach that he can learn from...and getting a top 15 talent at 40 is nothing to not like!

If you see the fit...look again.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Mayock said he would have been a top 15 pick if it wasnt for him getting injured

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Plankton;3931034 said:
While I love the value, and don't have a particular concern with the knee, I question the scheme fit here. I don't know if he's strong enough to play inside in a 3-4 and take on guards in the run game. Hope I'm wrong.

Bro...you, me, and the rest of the forum have no friggen clue what the "scheme" is going to be under Ryan. Think about that...;)

The scheme that Ryan uses is nothing like the basic stuff we see.