Carter is the pick

weaver21

Reaction score
LongSnapper;3931116 said:
I dont like the pick I was hoping for a pick who can contribute on the field this season. I dont see that in a player less than a year removed from ACL injury we'll see I suppose but I think this team needs players who are ready to contribute day one of camp

And you think Rahim Moore could contribute when Michael Huff is out there, a player who actually wants to play with the Cowboys? I'd rather take a chance in free agency to get a safety.

Woods

Reaction score
honyock;3931121 said:
I've got a question here...Carter is about 15 pounds heavier than Darren Woodson, who if I remember was a linebacker in college who was converted to safety. Would Carter have strong safety potential?

I remember reading that safeties are really valuable and necessary in Ryan's defense, and he likes several on the field at once in some schemes. Any possibility of Carter getting snaps as a safety/linebacker hybrid in some situations?

He's already listed at 6' 2" 241. A year with the Cowboys weight training program the guy will be easily between 245-250 lbs. That's big enough for ILB.

cowboyvic

Reaction score
TheCoolFan;3931009 said:
A better front 7 will help out the secondary. Would you rather take a risk on a 2nd round safety/CB that isn't an ELITE prospect or would you take the LB with some potential (albeit some injury history) that can help cause havoc and be a force on Rob Ryan blitzes so that the secondary doesn't have to cover for 10 seconds?
And just who is going to give us that better pass rush? we have the same guys coming back from last year.just like bringing back these terrible players in our secondary. expecting a different result with the same players is crazy.

weaver21

Reaction score
cowboyvic;3931134 said:
And just who is going to give us that better pass rush? we have the same guys coming back from last year.just like bringing back these terrible players in our secondary. expecting a different result with the same players is crazy.

You forgetting we have a new defensive coordinator? Ryan's system is a lot different than Wade Phillips. Stupid troll.

Primetime42

Reaction score
jblaze2004;3931016 said:
and his knee....I hope its not like bowers....ewwww...I hope he can be ready to play this year. They said he was cleared to workout but that might be just to start rehab.
Torn ACL =/= Microfracture surgery.

gmoney112

Reaction score
This pretty much guarantees we will be pursuing Huff in free agency pretty aggressively, which is okay with me.

Didn't know much about this guy, but after reading about him I love the pick. You have to cover the middle of the field in the NFL, and this guy can do it. Next to Sean Lee we potentially have our ILB's for the next 10 years. Also eager to see what Rob can draw up with this guy, he is FAST.

It'll be interesting to see what we do in the third. I think I'd prefer a guard, but a big body on the DLine would be okay too.

Randy White

Reaction score
I look at it is:

who did we pass on to get Bruce Carter that " we must have " ?

In my opinion, nobody really. Anybody who we would have selected with that pick wouldn't have stood out significantly from the next guy, so why not go with 3rd best rated OLB/ILB in the draft ? This is a high value pick. If he lives up to his potential, the Cowboys will be set at the LB position for the next 5 years, at least.

LongSnapper

Reaction score
I didn't bite on Rahim Moore did I? Thank you drive thru. There is help available in the D backfiled and d line to be had that has more chance to contribute than Carter is ready to help. Here are some names for you Harris, Austin, and Paea that could have stepped in and helped day one

Primetime42

Reaction score
Sarge;3931024 said:
Charles Haley sure looked good.

....carry on....
Aside from all that white hair.

He also didn't call Goodell "Massah Rogah".

I'm scared.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
LongSnapper;3931116 said:
I dont like the pick I was hoping for a pick who can contribute on the field this season. I dont see that in a player less than a year removed from ACL injury we'll see I suppose but I think this team needs players who are ready to contribute day one of camp

Think investment for the future. ;)

Also, that is what taking risk is all about. Most successful people take risks because the value now could be much greater next year for a good football player.

cowboyvic

Reaction score
weaver21;3931135 said:
You forgetting we have a new defensive coordinator? Ryan's system is a lot different than Wade Phillips. Stupid troll.[/quoteI dont care who e have coaching. you still need the players to win.Ryan aint god. it's going to come back to great players making plays.

LongSnapper

Reaction score
yeah that reminds me we need some backups and special teams players thats always been a fruitful strategy :laugh1:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
honyock;3931121 said:
I've got a question here...Carter is about 15 pounds heavier than Darren Woodson, who if I remember was a linebacker in college who was converted to safety. Would Carter have strong safety potential?

I remember reading that safeties are really valuable and necessary in Ryan's defense, and he likes several on the field at once in some schemes. Any possibility of Carter getting snaps as a safety/linebacker hybrid in some situations?

;)

You are right...

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyvic;3931134 said:

Just as crazy as Parcells' 10-6 record with Campo's 5-11 teams?
Same terrible players,just crazy coaching.
Go away.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
About the knee injury, noted surgeon Dr. James Andrews sent a letter to all NFL teams saying Carter's rehab is going well and he expects a full recovery. Andrews' word is gold to NFL clubs.

Dr. Andrews is considered the best out there

RS12

Reaction score
I'll go with what Butch Davis endorsement over Youtube.

Parche

Reaction score
MetalHead;3931169 said:
Just as crazy as Parcells' 10-6 record with Campo's 5-11 teams?
Same terrible players,just crazy coaching.
Go away.

Yeah, thats right. If that would be the case, no one would hire coaches, just players. And the best players, because only the best players win... Yeah, sure.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I was surprised with the pick but this kid can cover as a LB and has postde 40 time in the 4.3 range

honyock

Reaction score
The most telling thing I've read in this entire thread is Butch Davis' quote, that Carter was the best linebacker he'd ever coached.

Carter really sounds like a Ryan kind of guy - fast, versatile, athletic, can line up all over the place in crazy schemes, could be used very creatively. I'm guessing that this was a pick that had Garrett (who probably has some trust in Davis' opinion), the scouts, and Ryan all in agreement. And on the video, Stephen looked like a kid at Christmas. They sure didn't wait around till the last minute.

I had no trust in the Wade-Jerry drafting combination. I'm going to trust the Garrett-Ryan-Jerry-Stephen combo, until they prove otherwise. Sounds like a good pick.