CB Pat Surtain All Pro or Pro Bowler?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Draft is a crap shoot in part always. If you're looking for a perfect pick at 10 you aren't going to find one...

Cowboyny

Reaction score
There is no way to know what Surtain will be at the next level. I think what separates Surtain from most is his technique and approach. That’s where I see a lot of Sherman. I have no problem taking Surtain at 10. This is the kind of draft where you might have to be content with getting just a very good player in the top 10.
Everyone uses that lazy comparison, but Sherman possesses elite ball skills, Surtain hasn't shown that at all. He is a solid prospect, but many are thinking he is a shutdown #1 corner, which he is not.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I never compared his balls skills to Sherman. I said his approach and technique are comparable. His fundamentals are as good as they come. Surtain is more than just a solid prospect. That’s just as lazy as someone calling him elite.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He’s athletic enough to play in this league. 10+ year starter in the league. You can book that

Just don’t expect him to line up with the Tyreek Hills of the league and run down field with them
Pretty much where I stand...though All Pro/Pro Bowl is pretty impossible to predict for corners.

No corner can do that with Tyreek lol.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
He's probably what his father was a ten year starter with a couple pro bowls. I want a stud at 10 so Id rather go with someone else.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
What the hell does that mean? Just do as you are asked. Why is that so hard? I hope this thread gets deleted just as was suggested should happen to these misplaced threads rather than moving them. It would teach you people with no integrity a lesson.
Ok Karen

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He's probably what his father was a ten year starter with a couple pro bowls. I want a stud at 10 so Id rather go with someone else.
Cowboys have to (unfortunately) go with the "safest" (hate to use that word, but I can't seem to think of another one) choice. Every draft pick needs to at least be a solid performer, as much as possible. They can't afford somebody who needs "coaching" or "seasoning" or is a "project" player. They need to minimize downsides.

To me Surtain is the "safest" pick, no major shortcomings. And that's not saying he's not a top prospect, he is, just that if the Cowboys have a choice between him and Farley, et al, it's got to be Surtain....

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Cowboys have to (unfortunately) go with the "safest" (hate to use that word, but I can't seem to think of another one) choice. Every draft pick needs to at least be a solid performer, as much as possible. They can't afford somebody who needs "coaching" or "seasoning" or is a "project" player. They need to minimize downsides.

To me Surtain is the "safest" pick, no major shortcomings. And that's not saying he's not a top prospect, he is, just that if the Cowboys have a choice between him and Farley, et al, it's got to be Surtain....
I strongly disagree and here is why. Surtain while he is groomed to play the position and was very good in college he does not have top end speed and he played for Bama who always has a top 3 defense if not always the best defense with the best players up front. They generate a great pass rush and constantly put pressure on the opposing team. Im sure Surtain wasn't required to watch a qb get 5 seconds in a clean pocket much if at all. Farley has the speed, looks the part and didn't play for a dominate defense so he was required to stay with his man longer and he can definitely cover the deep ball.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I think he would be the best choice if the Cowboys only needed a CB. You can't underestimate pedigree. You have to respect the college career he has had from both competition and experience perspectives.

But the Cowboys need a bunch of players and should try to shop that pick for extra picks.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Guys, Sherman was a 4th round pick. He wasn't a top 10 pick. His skills dictated a lower pick because they weren't elite. Go find another 4th round guy and plug him in.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I strongly disagree and here is why. Surtain while he is groomed to play the position and was very good in college he does not have top end speed and he played for Bama who always has a top 3 defense if not always the best defense with the best players up front. They generate a great pass rush and constantly put pressure on the opposing team. Im sure Surtain wasn't required to watch a qb get 5 seconds in a clean pocket much if at all. Farley has the speed, looks the part and didn't play for a dominate defense so he was required to stay with his man longer and he can definitely cover the deep ball.

So speed is all that matters, eh? There is far more to covering receivers than speed. Besides, teams run a lot of cover 2 defense, or variances of it, not man to man. And what good is speed if the cornerback gets fooled by double moves, etc? Even moderately fast receivers will be long gone by then, and all you'll have is your speedy cornerback watch the man he was supposed to cover watching the receiver make the catch and continue on his merry way.

I'm sorry, I get your point, but Farley's negatives push him below Surtain. Just as some examples:

Walter Football: "a 1-year wonder and flagged with durability issues."
NFL draft profile: "Needs more coaching to improve fundamentals and technique." "Could struggle staying connected with complex routes."
The Draft Network: "Virginia Tech cornerback Caleb Farley enters the NFL after playing quarterback in high school, beginning his college career as a wide receiver, and then transitioning to defense.
He did well in his limited college career largely because of his speed, but as we've seen countless times, when a player gets into the NFL and has to play top opposing players most of the time, that speed can't keep him out of trouble so much. He has to have technique, and that doesn't develop overnight.

With the other problems on the defense the Cowboys can't wait for some rookie to learn technique.

Like I said, it's not that Farley isn't a top prospect, and overall he might even be better than Surtain in a couple of years, or that if Surtain is gone at 10 I'd not be thrilled if Dallas got him, but for this team, at this time, Surtain is just the better choice as far as I'm concerned....

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
So speed is all that matters, eh? There is far more to covering receivers than speed. Besides, teams run a lot of cover 2 defense, or variances of it, not man to man. And what good is speed if the cornerback gets fooled by double moves, etc? Even moderately fast receivers will be long gone by then, and all you'll have is your speedy cornerback watch the man he was supposed to cover watching the receiver make the catch and continue on his merry way.

I'm sorry, I get your point, but Farley's negatives push him below Surtain. Just as some examples:

Walter Football: "a 1-year wonder and flagged with durability issues."
NFL draft profile: "Needs more coaching to improve fundamentals and technique." "Could struggle staying connected with complex routes."
The Draft Network: "Virginia Tech cornerback Caleb Farley enters the NFL after playing quarterback in high school, beginning his college career as a wide receiver, and then transitioning to defense.
He did well in his limited college career largely because of his speed, but as we've seen countless times, when a player gets into the NFL and has to play top opposing players most of the time, that speed can't keep him out of trouble so much. He has to have technique, and that doesn't develop overnight.

With the other problems on the defense the Cowboys can't wait for some rookie to learn technique.

Like I said, it's not that Farley isn't a top prospect, and overall he might even be better than Surtain in a couple of years, or that if Surtain is gone at 10 I'd not be thrilled if Dallas got him, but for this team, at this time, Surtain is just the better choice as far as I'm concerned....
Speed matters, yes it does and the negatives aren't even negatives, they are all maybees and couldbees. I'd rather have the next Patrick Peterson than the next Patrick Surtain.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Speed matters, yes it does and the negatives aren't even negatives, they are all maybees and couldbees. I'd rather have the next Patrick Peterson than the next Patrick Surtain.

Only one year as a starter isn't a maybe, it's a lack of experience for sure. Injuries aren't maybes, your great speed doesn't do a thing for you if you're sitting out the game.

We view it differently, that's for sure. Fair enough.

Good thing is we'll be able to see how each works out, probably....

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I’d rather have Patrick Peterson coming out of college as well. But Farley is no Patrick Peterson.Not even close.