CB Pat Surtain All Pro or Pro Bowler?

Rayman70

Reaction score
tenor.gif

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
Always read the rule and posted warnings when you go somewhere. It may be to your own benefit. Taking orders has nothing to do with being grown men. Grown men better than the both of us take orders every day. Being a wisenheimer around here can get you trouble. That is as civil a warning as you deserve.
I’m not going to read everything . I have a life. I’m busy. I’m a cowboys fan also and wanted to support a cowboys board and hear cowboys fan opinions. I thought of a post and came in to post it and left.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I’m not going to read everything . I have a life. I’m busy. I’m a cowboys fan also and wanted to support a cowboys board and hear cowboys fan opinions. I thought of a post and came in to post it and left.
Then don't expect to be welcomed and be well received. Forums are a community of folks that like to know a little about each other. By reading the rules and posted warnings you get informed on how that community operates and what will be expected of you if you plan to stick around. Plus it shows you care enough to invest a tiny bit of reading time to enhance your experience here.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
He's probably what his father was a ten year starter with a couple pro bowls. I want a stud at 10 so Id rather go with someone else.

Surtain and Sam Madison were considered the NFL's top CB duo for a good 5 year stretch - and arguably one of the all-time greats. If we can get that type of performance out of a Diggs/Surtain Jr duo, it's safe to say we'd all be happy with the pick.

cnuball21

Reaction score
With the right team, Surtain II will be a All-Pro player. With the Cowboys? Definitely an All-Pro.
He is the safer pick, but safer isn't bad. He doesn't have to be spectacular. He simply needs to know how to play the position.
And that he does.

He has a pedigree, a work ethic that will benefit his career, just like Marlon Humphreys.
If we pick him, he'll be teamed with his teammate Trevon Diggs. And as anyone who has been around sports can tell you, there's a benefit playing with a team mate for years. There's an invisible chemistry there. He and Diggs will have that INSTANTLY.

Furthermore, where I think Surtain will excel is in the playoffs. Refs let players get more physical during the playoffs, and that is where Surtain will shine.

Outside of Lawrence and Pitts, as far as we know, there are no generational players in this draft, so let's stop comparing Surtain to generational corners. Last one was Deion Sanders, and they don't grow on Florida orange trees.

I think Surtain will get better in the pros. His bust potential is very low, as far as I'm concerned. But I don't know how the Cowboys coaching staff will handle him. I think we have failed to develop talent over the years. Fortunately, Surtain knows a lot on his own by having a dad who played the same position in the NFL.

That's another reason why he should be the pick.

Difference is Humphreys is an elite athlete. If Surtain had his athleticism he’d be a top 5 lock.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I dont like him at 10 but i would rather pick him than Fairley if forced to pick a defensive player at 10.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Underrated comedy. That movie had me crying with laughter. Tropic Thunder.
I liked the part where Jack Black was tied up and was begging to get cut loose. lol..He was making lets say, "indecent proposals" lol..funny as hell..AGREE

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Difference is Humphreys is an elite athlete. If Surtain had his athleticism he’d be a top 5 lock.
Draftnicks thought Humphreys was a reach. I remember the media wanted the Ravens to draft a tight end. I actually see some think Surtain is basically a bigger Humphreys. Sign me up......

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I liked the part where Jack Black was tied up and was begging to get cut loose. lol..He was making lets say, "indecent proposals" lol..funny as hell..AGREE
Most people don’t know that Tom Cruise was in the movie. He played one of the movie producers that was balding. He was so funny!!!

cnuball21

Reaction score
Draftnicks thought Humphreys was a reach. I remember the media wanted the Ravens to draft a tight end. I actually see some think Surtain is basically a bigger Humphreys. Sign me up......

Strongly disagree...Humphrey was a first round talent. Not as polished as Surtain, but well coached Alabama product with elite athleticism.

As prospects coming out, I'd take Humphrey over Surtain with zero hesitation.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Tell me again how if he had Humphrey's athleticism, he'd be a top 5 pick when Humphreys went #16 overall. :laugh:

Sure...Surtain is a polished CB prospect that doesn’t have elite athleticism. If he did he’d go top 5.

Humphrey came out in a better class and was CB2 behind Lattimore who was a monster.

Sure...Surtain is a polished CB prospect that doesn’t have elite athleticism. If he did he’d go top 5.

Humphrey came out in a better class and was CB2 behind Lattimore who was a monster

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Humphrey came out in a better class and was CB2 behind Lattimore who was a monster
Humphrey came out in a better class? :huh: That's debatable.

Of the 15 taken before Humphrey, six have been named all-pro since. One of those is Mitch Trubisky. Do you think the Bears would take Trubisky over Humphrey now? Heck, do you think ANY team would take Trubisky over Humphrey now? The other two are Patrick Mahomes and DeShaun Watson (quarterbacks often go higher in the draft by virtue of their position).
Would you take Christian McCaffrey over Humphrey? Jamal Adams?
In a redo, Humphrey is EASILY a top-5 pick.

Second, would you say Lattimore is a better corner than Humphrey now? Humphrey already is on his second contract. Have the Saints started contract negotiations with Lattimore?

Third, even if Surtain had Deion ability, with the need at quarterback, he's not breaking the top 5. At least four could go in the top 10 (Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance and Jones). Cincinnati is going OT (Sewell, Slater?) and the Dolphins are likely getting a weapon for Tua (Chase, Smith?).

So saying Surtain would be a top-5 pick with Humphrey's elite athleticism doesn't really tell us much given the variables involved in this draft and team needs.

I'm not saying he's better than Humphrey. I'm just saying he has Humphrey's pedigree. And that goes a long way in football. If you don't have a love for and knowledge of the game, your athleticism will mean little.

With Surtain, you're getting a football-bred player. He would be the safest pick, if we're looking to go corner.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is pretty accurate. I like Surtain and think he’ll be a solid pro, but I want more in the top 10.

I want a guy I think can win a few all pros not just be a solid starter.

The further away we get from the top 10 the more I’m ok reaching a little for need.
Nixon is rated very slightly below Surtain, so it's not even reaching.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Humphrey came out in a better class? :huh: That's debatable.

Of the 15 taken before Humphrey, six have been named all-pro since. One of those is Mitch Trubisky. Do you think the Bears would take Trubisky over Humphrey now? Heck, do you think ANY team would take Trubisky over Humphrey now? The other two are Patrick Mahomes and DeShaun Watson (quarterbacks often go higher in the draft by virtue of their position).
Would you take Christian McCaffrey over Humphrey? Jamal Adams?
In a redo, Humphrey is EASILY a top-5 pick.

Second, would you say Lattimore is a better corner than Humphrey now? Humphrey already is on his second contract. Have the Saints started contract negotiations with Lattimore?

Third, even if Surtain had Deion ability, with the need at quarterback, he's not breaking the top 5. At least four could go in the top 10 (Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance and Jones). Cincinnati is going OT (Sewell, Slater?) and the Dolphins are likely getting a weapon for Tua (Chase, Smith?).

So saying Surtain would be a top-5 pick with Humphrey's elite athleticism doesn't really tell us much given the variables involved in this draft and team needs.

I'm not saying he's better than Humphrey. I'm just saying he has Humphrey's pedigree. And that goes a long way in football. If you don't have a love for and knowledge of the game, your athleticism will mean little.

With Surtain, you're getting a football-bred player. He would be the safest pick, if we're looking to go corner.

I mean if you want to the play the hindsight game we could do it for every draft and talk about who should've been taken when and where. As prospects, I'd argue:

- Lattimore is better than any CB in this class
- Fournette is better than any RB in this class
- Adams / Hooker both better than any S in this class
- Garrett better than any pass rusher in this class

Maybe I should've prefaced it saying that class was better at the top for what we need. I'd say this class is better for OT's at the top.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Nixon is rated very slightly below Surtain, so it's not even reaching.

Daviyon Nixon? He's not even close to the top 10...dude is maybe a 2nd rounder.

K don't you want dudes that can anchor blow up the run game like I do? Nixon is more of the nickel rusher type and I'm not sure he's much different than Gallimore.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Tell me again how if he had Humphrey's athleticism, he'd be a top 5 pick when Humphreys went #16 overall. :laugh:
The guy is a Surtain hater. Humphreys was not even close to the prospect that Surtain was. I think he is mixing Humphreys us with the Pittsburgh safety who was drafted by Miami but changed positions because of speed concerns.

cnuball21

Reaction score
The guy is a Surtain hater. Humphreys was not even close to the prospect that Surtain was. I think he is mixing Humphreys us with the Pittsburgh safety who was drafted by Miami but changed positions because of speed concerns.

I love Surtain...I do not like Surtain at 10.

And no...I'm not mixing up Humphrey with Minkah.