CeeDee Lamb on his next contract: I want to be one of the top-paid WRs, if not the top

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
:DI hate that players never want to give home team discounts for the betterment of the team. I also hate that I'm rooting for guys to take less money that saves billionaire owners a few million bucks that they'll never miss.

I really wish the system could be changed so that teams resigning their own drafted talent at top dollar could get a break against the cap.
That would very much put an interesting spin on roster building philosophy.

That said...such a rule would allow the best drafting teams to stay good for longer, and would keep teams that went through a bad drafting spell bad for longer, and the NFL cares more about keeping 32 different fan bases hopeful about their teams so they spend more money that it does rewarding teams that draft and develop great players.

If I were King of the NFL, I'd do something like what you just suggested though, and I would take all the credit for it and make you "disappear" so that I'd get all the glory. No offense...that's just what Kings do

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
That would very much put an interesting spin on roster building philosophy.

That said...such a rule would allow the best drafting teams to stay good for longer, and would keep teams that went through a bad drafting spell bad for longer, and the NFL cares more about keeping 32 different fan bases hopeful about their teams so they spend more money that it does rewarding teams that draft and develop great players.

If I were King of the NFL, I'd do something like what you just suggested though, and I would take all the credit for it and make you "disappear" so that I'd get all the glory. No offense...that's just what Kings do
Although I don’t like the idea of disappearing I do respect the power play. #respect

Wildcat711

Reaction score
He set a franchise record for yards and catches.

He is our best player.. I don't want to see him go anywhere.. just have to hope Stephen doesn't sign him to a ridiculous contract.. (which is hoping for a lot I know)

kskboys

Reaction score
except it's not obvious. each year there's a team with players making huge salaries who get to the superbowl. The chiefs had like 2 mil worth of cap space left this year and have like 20 mil going into next season. The 49ers have even less.

i noticed you didn't address the point of taking less to make someone else the highest paid or overpaying a homegrown talent.

as for your other question, hmmmm shouldn't you be asking yourself the same question? You're the one upset he wants to get paid top dollar, not me. i'm on his side. i actually have kids in sports and if they were given a chance to get paid top dollar for all the hard work i know they put in, i'm not going to tell them "oh no son, all those sacrifices you made, all that training, time spent to become great, yea let's just ignore that and take less than what the guys you are better than are making".

Not only that, i also had a good friend who played in the nfl briefly (dedrick epps). Dude literally has one in-season catch because his knee got wrecked on that play and never got back to how he was. that can happen to anyone in this sport. Doesn't make sense to take less money in a sport that can literally end your ability to provide for your family. High risk sport needs to provide high rewards.
Why? Because they let their best WR walk.

No problem. If taking less still makes you unbelievably rich, what does it matter? If you take a contract for, say, 22 mil/season instead of 28 mil/season, you can still buy whatever you want and will never have to work again. If you have 100 million dollars, it would make zero difference if you had 110 mil.

See, you're making the mistake of thinking I don't think he shouldn't get a pile of money. I do. If Lamb takes a contract for, let's say 5 years/110mil w/ 80 mil guaranteed, he will have enough money to stay rich no matter what.

Would you rather have 22 mil and win a super bowl or 24 mil and lose in the first round? Money is important, no doubt about that, but there are also other things even more important. Family, integrity, success, honesty, loyalty, stuff like that beats the hades out of a few mil.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not that I want to go to the Super Bowl, just pay me top dollar instead...
CeeDee will likely have the top WR contract for at least a short period of time.

No one should be surprised at this. That's how it works. Because the cap goes up, players near the top get the biggest contract until the next player near the top after them. And CD just made All Pro and is heading into the prime years of his career. He's got a good argument that he *should* be getting the top contract.

Blue64

Reaction score
Lol! How exactly is he acting entitled when he earned it?
Right he played very well… but that’s because Kupp and Jamar chase and others did not play a season or full season.

Besides, look at the others who have won superbowls… you ever hear them say I want to be paid???
They are more interested in winning games.

Cee Dee just wants to be paid… he could care less about winning

Creeper

Reaction score
This is a yellow flag to me. CeeDee has said recently he needs to mature and be a leader. Talking about being the highest paid WR is not showing leadership. Even if this is how he feels, and I understand why he feels that way, it isnot a team oriented comment, the kind team leaders make. CeeDee had a great year. He may be the 2nd best WR in the league. But I would have preferred for him to say something like "I'd love to stay in Dallas for my entire career and win a SB here, this money thing will work itself out at some point."

I don't expect players to take less than what they can get. They are like any other employees who want what is best for themselves and their families. They have short careers and frankly, why let the owners just get richer and richer. Still, I prefer them to to not talk about the money so much.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
So he wants to make in excess of 30 million. He's nice, and our best receiver, but I wouldn't give him 30 million. Not a chance.

exciter

Reaction score
Right he played very well… but that’s because Kupp and Jamar chase and others did not play a season or full season.

Besides, look at the others who have won superbowls… you ever hear them say I want to be paid???

Lol, I’ve yet to hear a player who performed top 10 at their position not say they should be the top paid player at the position. Jefferson just said the exact same thing last week and he missed half the season. Daron Payne last “I just want what I deserve”. And it goes on and on. Every top player, with a contract coming up and and a mic put in front of their face say the same thing. It’s what their agent coaches them t

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score

That's just an ignorant assessment, full of supposition and speculation, which is the Zoner Language I understand

Swagger

Reaction score
He is one of the best wide receivers in the league so...he isn't saying anything out of line. If he was the 15th or 16th best player in his position expecting elite money then he would be delusional...