Chris Canty - Hybrid Thought

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Which QB played WR, Vinny? Henson? Romo?

No, it is not a natural progression to discuss it, it is a Nors progression. Discussing it is fine. Just don't whine when people aren't enthused.

I think he said WR at QB, which was Crayton, however, QB was Crayton's position in college, so it wasn't as much of a stretch.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SALADIN said:
You're like school on a Saturday afternoon.
Russell.gif

:rolleyes:
You know, a couple of days ago I tried to do one of the old Fat Albert cartoons on here as a response.

Nice job. Brings back good memories.

Oh yeah.... :hammer:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
junk said:
I think he said WR at QB, which was Crayton, however, QB was Crayton's position in college, so it wasn't as much of a stretch.
The thing is Crayton has never been listed as a QB by the Cowboys.

I don't suspect the Jags will list Matt Jones as one either.

Parcells has not made a habit of moving players out of position yet every other day we get a new "idea" that has "merit."

For another Coach........maybe. I suspect they'll work Canty into becoming a DE.

If that makes me a stick in the mud so be it.

FYI, when Belicheck moves guys around they aren't rookies. Just food for thought.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Hostile said:
The thing is Crayton has never been listed as a QB by the Cowboys.

I don't suspect the Jags will list Matt Jones as one either.

Parcells has not made a habit of moving players out of position yet every other day we get a new "idea" that has "merit."

For another Coach........maybe. I suspect they'll work Canty into becoming a DE.

If that makes me a stick in the mud so be it.

FYI, when Belicheck moves guys around they aren't rookies. Just food for thought.

Coach Frankenstein did play Klecko at LB and FB as a rookie, Hos.;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Coach Frankenstein did play Klecko at LB and FB as a rookie, Hos.;)
Okay, but no one has still successfully shown that Parcells is going to mimic what Belicheck does.

In his entire career do remember him doing this? He has always had at least one trick play in ever game, but position switches?

No, his philosophy has always been to put his strongest guys out there to beat your strongest guys.

Other than Keyshawn for a jump ball to end a half he has not played musical positions.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Okay, but no one has still successfully shown that Parcells is going to mimic what Belicheck does.

In his entire career do remember him doing this? He has always had at least one trick play in ever game, but position switches?

No, his philosophy has always been to put his strongest guys out there to beat your strongest guys.

Other than Keyshawn for a jump ball to end a half he has not played musical positions.

I agree, Parcells has no history of playing mad scientist.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Nors said:
Randal Williams - I've been on the record he SUCKED from day 1. A terrible player in college at New Hampshire. I'm surprised he even made it to career catch #1. Thats where it will end. 1 career catch.

And yet, now you're telling us that Chris Canty has the potential to be a "red zone threat"...

Well, Superstar Randal Williams, with his one NFL career catch, has more career NFL catches than Canty has NCAA receptions... so, if Williams "SUCKED", how come you're so sure that Canty has what it takes to be a "red zone threat"...

After all, Williams was a pretty big boy for the WR position... that IS your argument, isn't it, that Canty would make a good red zone TE because he's so big?? And unlike Canty, Williams is VERY fast for a WR...

So, if your rationale for suggesting that Canty should be used at TE has consistency, it logically follows that Williams would be your kind of WR...

silverbear

Reaction score
Nors said:
Exactly - some would have you believe we have quality depth at TE. Nice to have options in case of injury. See Campbell situation last year.

Another example was my observation that Gurode was a bust and the right side of our Line sucked. People actually tried to attack me on that one and defend Gurode. Thats a great reread thread.

If Canty can upgrade our Red zone situationally - do it.

First off, your argument has NOT been that Chris can "upgrade our red zone situationally"... it was a much more specific argument, that he could be a "red zone THREAT"... IOW, you're saying that he'd be an effective RECEIVER down in the red zone, presumably on fade routes, because of his size...

Canty CAN be an asset in the red zone, as a BLOCKER... like an extra offensive lineman, but NOT as a receiver in those situations... the EVIDENCE supporting that argument can be found in the way he has never caught a pass as a TE in college... and the stats from his high school days (20 yards per reception as a senior) paint a picture of a TE who could make plays downfield, rather than a player whose forte was catching the ball down close to the goal line...

It's hard to gain 20 yards per catch, if you're a "red zone threat"... those 2 yard TD catches really knock down your yards per catch average...

So yes, if Parcells wants an extra wide body in goal line and short yardage situations, Canty might be worth a look... even in that situation, though, Marcus Spears would make better sense... and your suggestion that Canty would be a viable threat in the red zone is just asinine... there is NOTHING in his playing history to support that belief...

And I'm a big Cavs fan, as well as a Chris Canty fan... I was ecstatic when the Boys drafted him...

Hey, maybe we could try JACOB ROGERS at TE, too... he played the position in the past as well... I mean, if your logic is actually logical...

silverbear

Reaction score
Nors said:
Canty will be a Massive RED ZONE target for Bledsoe if not this year - next year.

No, he won't... no matter how many times you make the claim, it will never be the truth...

He was all state TE in High School,

I'm still tryin' to figure out how you make all-State at TE, when you only catch 20 passes as a senior...

Even back then, though, he wasn't any kind of real threat in the RED ZONE... in fact, he was known mostly for an unusual ability to get downfield in the passing game... the guy averaged 20 yards per catch as a senior (20 catches, 400 yards), which is hard to do if you're catching too many short passes down in the red zone...

Allstate basketball as well. Groh saw the value and used him there.

Yeah, he did-- as a BLOCKER... the guy has never CAUGHT A PASS in college...

It's actually kind of dishonest of you to make the argument that Canty would be an effective weapon in the red zone in the pros, because Groh used him as a purely blocking TE in some goal line and short yardage situations... clearly, Groh NEVER used him in the role you're advocating the Cowboys use him in...

Which should be the first tipoff that your little idea is lunacy... Groh knows pro football, and he ought to know if a player has potential as a red zone weapon... the fact that he didn't trust Canty in that role strongly suggests that he doesn't see the same skillset in Chris that you apparently do...

So now we have to figure out which one of you is completely full of it-- Groh, or Nors...

Gee, that's a tough call...

Seriously, Nors, how can you argue that Canty could be a red zone threat when he has never been one at any point in his football career?? You can't offer us a single argument that supports your theory... you have no evidence to defend any argument you've made on this subject...

Apparently, the ONLY qualification that supports your theory is Canty is 6-7... as if anybody 6-7 would make a serviceable TE in red zone sets...

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile said:
"Will be" indicates forgone conclusion.

There is no forgone conclusion just your speculation.

And in fact, there is ample evidence out there to show his speculation to be completely ridiculous... Canty has NEVER been the red zone threat that Nors is so certain he can become...
Bottom line, Canty might make you a serviceable blocking TE in goal line and short yardage sets, but he simply lacks the skills to be a consistent threat as a receiver in those sets...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
silverbear said:
No, he won't... no matter how many times you make the claim, it will never be the truth...

I'm still tryin' to figure out how you make all-State at TE, when you only catch 20 passes as a senior...

Even back then, though, he wasn't any kind of real threat in the RED ZONE... in fact, he was known mostly for an unusual ability to get downfield in the passing game... the guy averaged 20 yards per catch as a senior (20 catches, 400 yards), which is hard to do if you're catching too many short passes down in the red zone...

Yeah, he did-- as a BLOCKER... the guy has never CAUGHT A PASS in college...

It's actually kind of dishonest of you to make the argument that Canty would be an effective weapon in the red zone in the pros, because Groh used him as a purely blocking TE in some goal line and short yardage situations... clearly, Groh NEVER used him in the role you're advocating the Cowboys use him in...

Which should be the first tipoff that your little idea is lunacy... Groh knows pro football, and he ought to know if a player has potential as a red zone weapon... the fact that he didn't trust Canty in that role strongly suggests that he doesn't see the same skillset in Chris that you apparently do...

So now we have to figure out which one of you is completely full of it-- Groh, or Nors...

Gee, that's a tough call...

Seriously, Nors, how can you argue that Canty could be a red zone threat when he has never been one at any point in his football career?? You can't offer us a single argument that supports your theory... you have no evidence to defend any argument you've made on this subject...

Apparently, the ONLY qualification that supports your theory is Canty is 6-7... as if anybody 6-7 would make a serviceable TE in red zone sets...
Oh oh, you stooped to facts.

I sense a flat ignore in reply with a guarantee in there somewhere.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
silverbear said:
And in fact, there is ample evidence out there to show his speculation to be completely ridiculous... Canty has NEVER been the red zone threat that Nors is so certain he can become...
Bottom line, Canty might make you a serviceable blocking TE in goal line and short yardage sets, but he simply lacks the skills to be a consistent threat as a receiver in those sets...
I'll be satisfied with the kid if he can pressure the QB and read a screen.

If he never becomes Mike Vrabel Jr., so be it.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hostile said:

I'll be happy if he makes it on the field and contributes this year. Coming off some serious injuries and people are ready to move him to other positions. :rolleyes:

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Ain't it the truth? ;)

At least now I know why Nors is so set on stirring up the fecal matter in here:

He's actually Joe Theisman... we all know how Joey T feels about the Boys...

Think about it, you know I'm right... :D

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Oh oh, you stooped to facts.

I sense a flat ignore in reply with a guarantee in there somewhere.

Yeah, Nors generally ignores me when I drag facts into the argument... that's OK, he knows as well as I do that unrebutted arguments generally indicate pretty strong arguments... so, as long as he refuses to address my factual arguments, his silence is devastating to his argument...

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile said:

If he never becomes Mike Vrabel Jr., so be it.

Yeah, it would obviously be in Canty's best interests-- and the team's-- to let him focus on his REAL job, at least while he's still learning the NFL...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
silverbear said:
At least now I know why Nors is so set on stirring up the fecal matter in here:

He's actually Joe Theisman... we all know how Joey T feels about the Boys...

Think about it, you know I'm right... :D
Is Joey T a closet Pats fan? ;)

I say Watson, I think you've got it.