Chris Canty - Hybrid Thought

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Nors said:
Fact is both players probably would have made NFL on offense and Canty might have been a NBA Power Forward ...***?

:lmao2:

Thanks for providing us with the FACTS :rolleyes:

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Both Canty and Spears need to excel exclusively at their DE positions, first and foremost.

It is intriuging to think of a 6.7 290 TE (Canty) going up to make catches in the endzone, and a 6.4 300 TE (Spears) with decent hands and leverage comming in on goalline situations.

However, at this point, it is not very realistic to think about putting that kind of pressure on a rookie. Frankly, it is a premature thought, that is safe to say, unlikey at the least.

Now, it is fun to dream, don't get me wrong but, dreaming doesn't get anything acomplished by itself, you actually have to put in the work. The first thing to work on is what they were drafted for, dreaming of a pass rush.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nors said:
Put your best football players on the field. Don't dismiss Canty as a sitautional TE because he's a DE. He damn well could be an All Pro TE if he went that direction.
Don't 'All-Pros' usually play a single position?

If Canty develops into an All-Pro tight end, I don't have a problem with it happening. Still, if you were to follow that line of logic, wouldn't that also mean that his contributions on defense would be lessen enormously...

...seeing that he's making such a huge impact on offense, that is.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I would look more in this direction...

Ratliff has all the right moves

Seventh-round pick has adjusted to series of position changes

06:35 PM CDT on Tuesday, May 17, 2005

By MATT MOSLEY / ***BANNED-URL***

Auburn coaches knew they might hurt Jay Ratliff’s chances in the NFL draft when they moved him from defensive end to defensive tackle his senior year.

But Ratliff, the Cowboys’ seventh-round draft pick, never questioned the move.

In fact, Ratliff was used to moving. He was one of the top tight end prospects in the nation coming out of Valdosta, Ga., and then Hargrave Military Academy, but after playing in 12 games at tight end his freshman season, Ratliff was asked to move to defensive end.

“He said whatever it takes,” Auburn defensive tackles coach Don Dunn said of Ratliff’s most recent move. “And then he went out and won the job in the spring.”

One good sign for Ratliff is that Cowboys coach Bill Parcells has had some success with seventh-round draft picks. The Cowboys’ new defensive tackle, Jason Ferguson, was a seventh-round draft pick for the Jets who has become a Pro Bowl player.

“I’m not worried about where I was taken anymore,” Ratliff said recently. “I’m just going to try and take advantage of the opportunity I do have.”

Ratliff received solid reviews during the Cowboys’ recent rookie minicamp. Much of the focus was on first-round picks Demarcus Ware and Marcus Spears, but several coaches mentioned how impressed they were with Ratliff’s size and athletic ability.

Dunn said that Ratliff still has a lot to learn at the defensive tackle position. At defensive end, Ratliff could see that a player was lining up on his inside or outside. He will have players coming at him from several positions when he lines up inside.

With his experience at end and tackle, Ratliff could provide the Cowboys with solid depth. At 6-4, 293, he could move over and play defensive end in the 3-4.

Dunn said that Ratliff will need to add some strength this off-season. One of the criticisms of Ratliff was that he didn’t have enough bulk to play inside.

Ratliff is a self-described loner who tends to take himself pretty seriously. Dunn said he’s not the type of player who ever celebrated after big plays because he was smart enough to conserve his energy.

“This guy isn’t much of a prankster or jokester,” Dunn said. “He’s all about business.”

E-mail mmosley@***BANNED-URL***

ABOUT JAY RATLIFF

College: Auburn

Position: Defensive tackle

Ht./Wt.: 6-4, 293

Out-of-the-blue fact: Ratliff averaged 18 points and 18 rebounds his senior year in high school.

Notable: Only started eight games his sophomore season, but still had 10 tackles for a loss. … Helped lead Auburn to a 13-0 record in 2004. … Caught two passes at tight end his freshman season.

What they're saying: "The thing that impresses me about Jay is how consistent he is. The people in Dallas will find that out real soon.” – Donn Dunn, Auburn defensive tackles coach​

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point, I would rather see Ratliff than Canty as a situational TE. He has the size and seemingly very good receiving skills.

A healthy Canty may either be a solid backup at DE/DT or even a starter. A healthy Ratliff may end up being a solid 3rd on the depth chart at either position. If he's good enough to play TE in certain situations, a la Jeff Robinson, the risk of injury is much less to the defense AND the potential gain offensively is better.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
Canty, Spears, will both someday be situational offensive players.

Stick it up your gazoo Silverbear.
I really should advertise my omniscience to some daily rag magazine. ;)

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Waffle said:
I know exactly how you feel, Silverbear. :D

It's OK, those of us with rare insight are always misunderstood... true genius (note the correct spelling) is rarely appreciated until after you're dead... :D

silverbear

Reaction score
Nors said:
Canty, Spears, will both someday be situational offensive players.

Stick it up your gazoo Silverbear.

Oooh, what a compelling rebuttal...

The lack of substance in your response proves what I said about how you react to factual arguments... you bleat about how Canty would be a great "red zone threat", but when challenged, can't offer the first substantive argument to support your specious theory...

And then, when evidence is offered to prove that he's NOT a 'red zone threat", and NEVER HAS BEEN, you ignore that evidence altogether, while clinging to your by-then discredited original argument...

"Stick it up your gazoo" means you lose, Nors... and I should tell you that it's my strict policy to never, ever stick anything up my gazoo... you're gonna need a new sexual fantasy, LOL...

silverbear

Reaction score
Nors said:
He and Canty are very talented players, that could be used situationally to help the team.

Yes, they could... but not in the way you're suggesting...

Canty might have been a NBA Power Forward.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... maybe if he dropped 30 pounds... if he was such a stud basketball player, a potential "NBA power forward", I have to think that ol' Pete Gillen would have had him helping out the Cavs' basketball team...

silverbear

Reaction score
Nors said:
I truly don't get with 10 years of failure resistance to my idea's of change. Think about that one! ITS ALWAYS RESISTANCE TO change HERE. :skins:

Yeah, I'm generally pretty resistant to stupid ideas...

Had you said that Canty might be able to help out as a BLOCKING tight end in goal line and short yardage situations, I wouldn't have had a problem with that theory, and wouldn't have made a single post to this thread...

But though you now appear to be backing away from your original argument, that argument was that Canty would be a "red zone threat"... IOW, you're advocating using him as a RECEIVING threat in red zone situations... problem is, you can't show that he has EVER shown us any ability in that area... he played TE for the Cavs in college in those situations, yet NEVER caught a pass for them... this alone should tell you that he's not a real threat to score down close, no matter how big he is...

Apparently, you think that he'd make a good red zone weapon because he's so BIG, and I'm suggesting to you that there's a little more to being a threat down close than that... and Chris Canty has never shown us any such ability...

Never... given that, yeah, your idea is really quite silly... now, if you wish to modify your argument, to meet me halfway, I'll agree with you that he might be useful as a blocking TE in goal line and short yardage sets...

But anything more than that is just ridiculous... even then, I'd suggest that Marcus Spears, who is slightly shorter but slightly heavier, would make a better candidate to come in as a blocking TE in those sets... he has more bulk and more strength, so he'd probably fare better as a blocker...

silverbear

Reaction score
Nors said:
Two way road - I laid out my case for Canty as a TE, situational role.

No, you didn't... that's the problem-- you advanced a theory, but offered NOTHING to demonstrate why your idea was good...

All State TE in college.

You mean in high school... so, you're suggesting that anybody who ever made all-State in high school has what it takes to play the position in the NFL??

I hope you see how completely ridiculous THAT argument is... the plain FACT is, he never achieved ANY success as a TE in college...

Played Red Zone for UVA and Groh.

And never caught a freaking pass... that's the part you keep on glossing over, and frankly, it's dishonest in the extremest for you to keep throwing that up as if it proves your point, when it does no such thing... he was strictly a big BLOCKING tight end for the Cavs, and you know it... and that is the ONLY potential he offers for the position in the NFL, and that only in spot duty...

He simply offers ZERO potential as a receiving TE in red zone sets... that fact remains unrebutted by you, and that fact alone completely shreds your specious argument...

I take some flak in thread and THEN give it back, thats aggregious? I can take it but not give it? LOL

Well, there's a SLIGHT difference in the "flak" I gave you, and the "flak" you returned fire with...

My "flak" was a factual rebuttal of your argument, based on a close look at his stats in high school and college... stats which show NOTHING that would suggest he would be effective in the role you advocated...

Meanwhile, YOUR "flak" consisted entirely of "stick it up your gazoo"... you went straight for the ad hominem, eschewing anything in the way of a factual argument...

Whenever somebody responds to a factual argument with an ad hominem attack, he's running up the white flag... if you HAD a factual rebuttal to offer, everybody in here knows you would have offered it... conversely, the lack of anything resembling a factual rebuttal from you demonstrates with undeniable clarity the weakness of your theory...

silverbear

Reaction score
Nors said:
Put your best football players on the field. Don't dismiss Canty as a sitautional TE because he's a DE. He damn well could be an All Pro TE if he went that direction.

And you wonder why people think you're a troublemaking moron??

That last sentence entirely destroyed what credibility you enjoyed with me (and I have not in the past been a Nors basher)... it is a blatantly ridiculous, almost trollish thing to write...

Given that it's not even a sure bet that he has All Pro potential at his natural position, it's clearly absurd for you say he could be All Pro at a second position that he's only played part-time in college...

If he truly did have All Pro potential at TE, I have to think that would be the position he'd be playing... this latest, lunatic claim of yours takes you MUCH further out there into the ozone than your original, considerably less nonsensical claim, that he might make a decent threat down in the red zone...

So now, we've gone from him being a threat in the red zone to him having All Pro potential... IOW, the more you argue this, the more comically ridiculous your arguments become...

Though I like you, and don't find you nearly as annoying as many people do in here, this thread, and the theory that it arose from, is nothing less than stoopid...

silverbear

Reaction score
DallasEast said:
Don't 'All-Pros' usually play a single position?

If Canty develops into an All-Pro tight end, I don't have a problem with it happening. Still, if you were to follow that line of logic, wouldn't that also mean that his contributions on defense would be lessen enormously...

...seeing that he's making such a huge impact on offense, that is.

Nors figures that Superstar Chris Canty will one day make the Pro Bowl at DE AND at TE, in the same season...

And won't he laugh at us when THAT happens??

:eek:

silverbear

Reaction score
trickblue said:
I would look more in this direction...

In fact, Ratliff was used to moving. He was one of the top tight end prospects in the nation coming out of Valdosta, Ga., and then Hargrave Military Academy, but after playing in 12 games at tight end his freshman season, Ratliff was asked to move to defensive end.

There ya go, Nors-- why aren't you suggesting that the Boys look at Ratliff at TE?? After all, he one of the top HS TE prospects in the nation, and he averaged 18 points and 18 boards on the basketball team...

According to the Nors Theory, doesn't that mean he's a potential All Pro TE?? Great HS TE (though he plays on the DL in college), great HS basketball player (18 boards a game in a 32 minute game is just AMAZING)... isn't that the Nors Formula for converting a DE to TE??

Man, between Canty and Spears and Ratliff and Rogers and God only knows who else, the Boys have a TON of players who could be converted to TE... if the pattern continues for too many more years, we may soon have a 53 man roster made up entirely of TEs...

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I really should advertise my omniscience to some daily rag magazine. ;)

C'mon, that was an EASY call, oh oracle of the board... LOL...

It distresses me that Nors would wish harm on my gazoo... but hey, at least I got to pad my post count by another 10 posts tonight, just in this thread... ;)

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Nors said:
thats a who's who of scrubs. Traing camp and the turk will find a bunch of these fringers.

:laugh2:

Dude - I don't know why some people get so mad at you ... If you look at posts like this with at little sense of humor ... you may like ol' Nors. I laugh my azz off at comments like this ... "that''s a who's who of scrubs" - hilarious.

Also - interesting topic. I just wonder why all of your posts are in the smack talk zone. I guess I'll have to read on ...

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Yeah, we've only got about forty-'leven TEs on the roster right now... God knows, the Cowboys need more TEs...

And if that would-be TE only has one good eye, so much the better... after all, who needs two good eyes to catch passes??

Do you sit up nights figuring out nonsensical ideas to share with us, or do they come to you after the ingestion of copious quantities of recreational chemicals??

It's a known fact that Parcells likes to have a lot of TE's.

This isn't an unrealistic topic - sorry.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Here's a novel thought, why don't we find out if Brett Pierce, Sean Ryan or Tony Curtis have some game, instead of talking about moving a rookie DE over to TE?? How 'bout we let the rookie learn his main job in his first year on the job??

Here's another novel though ... we're stacked with DE's. Why not let a guy with talent play on the other side of the ball, instead of being a waste of space on the sidelines.

It makes sense in the aspect of depth.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:
So, you apparently knew the answer to the question before you asked it... color me surprised...

But you answered how dumb the idea was before you knew he had TE experienced. Paint your denial however you want though.