Chris Carter On Randy Gregory

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
What showed that? The 1 sack in 14 games? or the 7 hurries in 14 games?

I have a feeling you people are going off his college performances ....... which unfortunately was in 2014

He was a beast in college .......... he has been mediocre in the pro's combined with unreliability.
Not going off of college, going off of nfl games.

Seems you like to go off of the stat box, how many snaps did he play

Hayseed

Reaction score
Heres the thing that always kinda bothered me the most about Gregory. I remember watching this. When UW decided to drop the hammer on him and beat him up a little,.... he kinda rolled over after awhile/ kinda gave up and just took the beating. Didnt like that. Worse yet,...UW always has a dominant O line, but in those couple years it was rebuilding/ in flux and was nowhere near as good as it normally is.

" Weaknesses

Thin through trunk and will play with a narrow base, causing balance issues. Almost always last player out of his stance at snap. Technique and feel as pass rusher lacking at this point. Thinks rather than plays. Takes occasional false steps as stand-up rusher. Time-waster. Too much time stutter-stepping tackles rather than exploding upfield. Fails to stress the high side of tackles to get them rocking. Makes it too easy for tackles to quick-set him. Plays man in front of him rather than "seeing through" to quarterback. Lacks creativity as rusher. Gets punched with his shoulders still squared rather than on an angle, which robs ability to turn edge. Doesn't process what he sees very quickly. Marginal play strength in pass rush and can be redirected. Was manhandled by Wisconsin blockers on two long touchdown runs by Melvin Gordon. Issues with positive drug tests are a significant concern."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/randy-gregory?id=2552446

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Totally unrelated question. Where do people go for QB hurry stats? I am always looking and never seem to find a credible site.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good points. I'll add that some fans expect players to be role models for their children. I always suggest the opposite, but that's just me.
Great point. Think about the state of things in American culture today- more is expected from an athlete than elected leaders. It’s a strange world we occupy.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Great point. Think about the state of things in American culture today- more is expected from an athlete than elected leaders. It’s a strange world we occupy.
I come from the position that parents are the role models. Same with relatives, teachers and peers. Not athletes just because they're in the limelight. They're still complete strangers. They're here for our entertainment not raising Americas children.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Last season Crawford had 18 tackles and 4 sacks in 16 games.

Gregory 2 seasons ago only played the last two games of the year...... Didn't play all year..... Came in and had 9 tackles 1 sack.

Yeah and had Gregory stayed clean Crawford likely would have stayed at DT instead of having to move outside to DE because of the loss of Gregory. Gregory failure cost the Cowboys, it is one thing missing time due to injury but to be lost for the season because he could not control himself hurt the team. I hope Randy comeback and produces and helps this team

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
His rookie season wasnt great, but his second season played the last 2 games and had 9 tackles 1 sack. Players develop and without playing all year came in and produced.
His time away from football greatly concerns me. Skills diminish when they are not tested and perfected. I wish him the best.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Last season Crawford had 18 tackles and 4 sacks in 16 games.

Gregory 2 seasons ago only played the last two games of the year...... Didn't play all year..... Came in and had 9 tackles 1 sack.

Yes he had a good game in 2016 with 6 tackles and 1 sack ......... that is the best game of his career .......... 6 tackles and 1 sack ............ nothing else even comes close.

I have nothing against the kid ........ I think pot should be legal ........ just do not understand why people think he will be the savior of the pass rush if he ever comes back ......... Taco Charlton had 2 sacks, 15 tackles and 10 hurries in his first 14 games compared to Gregory at 1 sack, 15 tackles, and 7 hurries in 14 games.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I understand and agree disliking guys such as Greg Hardy, Tyreke Hill, Joe Mixon, etc.

But I cant for the life of me understand the people that carry a personal vendetta against the kid. There could be a plausible reason, but I've yet to hear one.

He was a wasted pick because he couldn’t quit smoking weed when he KNEW he would be suspended for it. Selfish behavior at the very least. I have no vendetta and hope he succeeds but I completely understand fan frustration with him.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes he had a good game in 2016 with 6 tackles and 1 sack ......... that is the best game of his career .......... 6 tackles and 1 sack ............ nothing else even comes close.

I have nothing against the kid ........ I think pot should be legal ........ just do not understand why people think he will be the savior of the pass rush if he ever comes back ......... Taco Charlton had 2 sacks, 15 tackles and 10 hurries in his first 14 games compared to Gregory at 1 sack, 15 tackles, and 7 hurries in 14 games.

So do you not care if Charlton ever plays a down for us again? Because their stats are eerily similar over their first 14 games.

And in fairness, I don't think anyone has said he's the savior of the pass rush if he comes back.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He was a wasted pick because he couldn’t quit smoking weed when he KNEW he would be suspended for it. Selfish behavior at the very least. I have no vendetta and hope he succeeds but I completely understand fan frustration with him.

I agree. He did not just screw himself over, he screwed his teammates over. When you are part of a team you are accountable to those other players on the team. Like you I hope he comes in and has success and helps this team. Some here may think other wise but I feel he owes a lot to this franchise for sticking with him and I expect to see Gregory give everything he has to this team.

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree. He did not just screw himself over, he screwed his teammates over. When you are part of a team you are accountable to those other players on the team. Like you I hope he comes in and has success and helps this team. Some here may think other wise but I feel he owes a lot to this franchise for sticking with him and I expect to see Gregory give everything he has to this team.

Well if we are going to play this game, then the blame goes higher than Gregory. The Cowboys front office drafted this kid knowing he had a drug issue. So if anyone failed the team, it was the front office who took a risk on a guy they knew might have a weed problem.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Granted, weed is not physically addictive but when you use it as a crutch (like alcohol, fast food, etc.) it is more about overcoming the mentality of needing a crutch than the substance itself. And I am speaking as someone who loves the greens. If Gregory has developed the mental fortitude to stay clean and has an ironclad will (as it sounds like he does and has really turned a corner), I guarantee we will see that translate into his play. It's going to be tough to push this guy around. Ya know, sometimes I think we like to play internet General Manager too much, becoming too cold in terms of wanting production, and forget what sports is all about... I love a good success story, and I hope 94 becomes one and has a real chance with the Cowboys, even if he only had 1 sack in his first 14 games.

Also, get over yourself. There's nothing fair about you, lady,
I would love for him to turn the corner and become a force of nature out there. I just have my doubts that it will ever happen. And as for getting over myself I am a fan of the team. We wasted a second round pick on a guy who would rather get high than play football. I can complain all I want.