Video: Chris Simms: Dak is not Top 5

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
There is a table floating around with the cap percentage hits for all the superbowl winning QB's. Everyone has seen it. No one has won with a salary like is being discussed for Dak. History says you don't win with non top 5 QB's making top money. I don't think it has happened once.

As far as cap now, Dallas has gaping holes on defense. Despite that, they let Quinn and Jones go and really didn't go after anyone of note. Dak supporters have been more than happy to point out how bad the defense is to deflect blame but when the #don'tpaydak crowd talks about having money to fix it, Dak people don't want to hear about it.

The cap going forward issue gets into economics and covid19. That's not a topic worth delving into.

Yah, but its like saying that an electrical car has never won the Daytona.

That's because they just came out. 30 million dollar and over QB's just started a few years ago. These huge money QB's just started. In other words...…………..past 3 or 5 years ago...…..NONE were taking up 20% of the salary cap. So of course none won.

Understand?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Results? Those quarterbacks have superbowls, and playoff success. So that is a laughable no

Videos? Not sure what you mean by this. If I knew nothing about football and you gave me film on the quarterbacks mentioned Dak is no way in hell going to look better then them. Hell i just think about everyone knows besides the elite dak supporters that you are completely wrong.

Sorry....but...no
Go do some research. Not going to do it for you. Or keep sounding ignorant around here. Cowboys definitely have done their homework on Dak, hence they seriously intend on keeping Dak as their franchise QB for years to come.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Maybe my definition of winning and yours are different, but my definition of winning is making deep playoff runs and even getting in a Super Bowl. Dak has not shown this ability yet.
Really? Maybe you should go learn some football and what it takes to win a game. It takes a team as a whole executing better than their opponent and outscoring them. Getting to and winning a Super Bowl takes much more than just 1 player.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Nonsense. This video reinforces that Dak isn't worth what's he's asking which is to be paid like he's not only a top 5 QB but like he's the #1 QB.

Being critical of paying him that kind of money doesn't make you a troll. I disagree with you strongly on Zeke but that's your opinion and doesn't make you wrong or a troll.

I'm all for keeping Dak if the price is right. Otherwise he can walk his arse right out the door and see if any other team comes calling at the price he's asking.
and 2 years from now, he won't be paid like a #1.....the salary cap keeps going up, QB salaries keep going up.
and seems like most people didn't have a problem for him to get paid like a 4th rounder and play like a top 10, but have issue when he wants paid!?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Yah, but its like saying that an electrical car has never won the Daytona.

That's because they just came out. 30 million dollar and over QB's just started a few years ago. These huge money QB's just started. In other words...…………..past 3 or 5 years ago...…..NONE were taking up 20% of the salary cap. So of course none won.

Understand?

So, the salary cap is new? Perhaps the mathematical concept of percentages was just invented in 2016?

There have been big money QB's around for quite some time. They have not won many super bowls. Its a tough reality but these guys frequently win while on their rookie deal and then never do again once they get their big extension. Aaron Rodgers is a good example of this. Russell Wilson probably will be too. There would be no "legion of boom" with Russell making $35m per year. Maybe Mahomes goes that route.

As has been said countless times, only two QB's on full extensions have won super bowls in the past 20 years. Eli and Peyton each once. Everyone else was on some type of discount, be it rookie, Brady or just a lower paid vet. During that period, there were lots of QB's who got big contracts.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So, the salary cap is new? Perhaps the mathematical concept of percentages was just invented in 2016?

There have been big money QB's around for quite some time. They have not won many super bowls. Its a tough reality but these guys frequently win while on their rookie deal and then never do again once they get their big extension. Aaron Rodgers is a good example of this. Russell Wilson probably will be too. There would be no "legion of boom" with Russell making $35m per year. Maybe Mahomes goes that route.

As has been said countless times, only two QB's on full extensions have won super bowls in the past 20 years. Eli and Peyton each once. Everyone else was on some type of discount, be it rookie, Brady or just a lower paid vet. During that period, there were lots of QB's who got big contracts.

lol...no the salary cap isn’t new.

Never mind.....you don’t get it. I’m fine with that.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What makes you think the salary cap is going to rise next year? The NFL may not even have a full season and they've already made salary cuts with King Roger himself falling on his sword and not accepting his meager salary.

You don't need to know the future to understand the more you pay Dak the less you'll have to invest in other positions. Dak is a QB that needs to be surrounded by better players than he is. He doesn't elevate those around him those around him elevate him.

Now maybe under a HC that actually knows what he's doing it'll be different.
that's generally speaking. because of the covid-19, everything is going to get impacted including salary cap and NFLPA and owners have to come to some type of agreement and I think they are both interested. if the players try to stand firm, then salary cap is down and bunch of players will get cut and get low contracts....but subsequent to all this stuff, the salary cap is expected to go back to what it was....so salary cap has gone up every year and expected to keep going up. plus, they are adding a 17th game and a 7th team to the playoffs, which means more TV money.....

and I totally don't get this Dak needs to be surrounded by better players than he is...every QB who has had success has been surrounded by good players, HOF type players or top 10 in the league except maybe a couple or three of them. this notion of QB carrying his team is so much BS I don't know where to start....i.e. Brees has Thomas, had a great TE, great OL, great RB...yet no one is doubting Brees. Brady has had some great great coaching, Gronk, Moss, Edleman and a very good OL over the years...

the issue is what does a QB do when he has those kind of resources.....Dak has had Linehan, Moore (rookie OC) and JG as coaches....many argued cooper isn't a top 10 WR so why pay him....

so I call BS on this total stupidity of being surrounded by better players....he has produced with these type of players or lesser, ala Witten and Dez (who was very ineffective before he was let go)........that's the bottom line.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
Any Cowboys fan who thinks Dak is a top 5 QB in the league needs his head examined. I love Dak and we can win with him, big fan and happy he’s our QB, but he ain’t one of the 5 best in the NFL.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
LOL. I really don't care what happened 4 years ago. If we care what happened 4 years ago we should bring Peyton Manning out of retirement. The last 3 years have been very average....Which is weird.... because everyone says Dallas is loaded with talent especially on the Offensive side of the ball.

And truthfully winning 10 games a year is not what I want. That means half the time you don't make the playoffs and it also means you probably never win a SB.

My whole point is Dak has not shown he can win anything unless all his weapons are in place. You have done nothing to say otherwise. I am still waiting on a good example. You are the one ignoring.

I really only care about the last year. I don't even care what Dak did 2 years ago. Last year Dak led the team to a very average 8-8 record.
loaded with talent, with the likes of Dez, Witten and Williams...WOOHOO...

since we added cooper, according to many on this very board, not a top 10 WR....the cowboys offense has been among the top 3 in the league..

and again, lets not forget we had "I run on first down everytime" linehan as the OC, who was being ridiculed by everyone and then Moore....a first year OC, who got muzzled by Garrett and dont' even start on garrett….

but hey, those facts don't support your assumptions/agenda so lets not talk about it. ok?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The team was average last year. The supporting cast around Dak on offense was tremendous. And yet the Offense struggled mightily in about 5 of the losses.... So yes I will put that on the QB. 5 games is a big difference. It is the difference between an 8-8 campaign and a 13-3 #1 seed and possibly a trip to the SB.

Stats do not even begin to tell the whole story. Do you think Dak played great vs. the Bills? Stats say he did. Do you think Dak played great vs. the Bears? Stats say he did. Try again..... I am still waiting for my ONE example.
on the QB and not the coach? 3 of those losses could easily been wins if the coach would pull his head out of his arse…..a viable coach would have had this team at 10-6 at worst....

but hey, shortcoming of coaching doesn't support your agenda, so lets ignore....lets keep that out of the discussion. ok?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
that's generally speaking. because of the covid-19, everything is going to get impacted including salary cap and NFLPA and owners have to come to some type of agreement and I think they are both interested. if the players try to stand firm, then salary cap is down and bunch of players will get cut and get low contracts....but subsequent to all this stuff, the salary cap is expected to go back to what it was....so salary cap has gone up every year and expected to keep going up. plus, they are adding a 17th game and a 7th team to the playoffs, which means more TV money.....

and I totally don't get this Dak needs to be surrounded by better players than he is...every QB who has had success has been surrounded by good players, HOF type players or top 10 in the league except maybe a couple or three of them. this notion of QB carrying his team is so much BS I don't know where to start....i.e. Brees has Thomas, had a great TE, great OL, great RB...yet no one is doubting Brees. Brady has had some great great coaching, Gronk, Moss, Edleman and a very good OL over the years...

the issue is what does a QB do when he has those kind of resources.....Dak has had Linehan, Moore (rookie OC) and JG as coaches....many argued cooper isn't a top 10 WR so why pay him....

so I call BS on this total stupidity of being surrounded by better players....he has produced with these type of players or lesser, ala Witten and Dez (who was very ineffective before he was let go)........that's the bottom line.
:hammer::hammer::hammer:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Only Jones didn't say that.
Let's breakdown the Prescott-Cowboys contract situation: Dak Prescott, per insiders, is not budging on a contract worth $40+ million dollars per year — and by all accounts, Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys front-office feel out of their comfort zone with offering Prescott a contract worth $33-$35 million dollars per year.

As of yesterday, insiders say that Dak Prescott's latest counter-offer consists of a whopping $42 million dollars per year, for 4-5 years. Now: Le'ts take $42 million dollars with a grain of salt. While we have a number to report, we do not, however, have any information beyond that number. We do not know the proposed guaranteed dollar amount. We do not know if certain potential contract incentives favor the team. We simply have one number at this point: $42 million per year. In August of last year, Dak Prescott turned down a contract offer from the Cowboys that would've paid him $30 million per year, per CBS. We also learned in August of last year, that Prescott first demanded $40 million dollars per year, per USA Today. Yesterday's news of $42 million per year shouldn't be seen as anything other than symbolic: Dak isn't budging. And Jerry Jones seems unwilling to go up in price — as he is already at his limit with Prescott — offering the Quarterback $33-$35 million dollars per year. How will this play out? Well, the Cowboys responded by signing a well known, and well-established Quarterback — Andy Dalton. If Prescott does decide to hold-out due to himself not receiving $40 million+ dollars per year to play, Prescott would be saying he is willing to gamble his football future on Andy Dalton not being able to lead the Cowboys to a winning season.

However, if Andy Dalton were to lead the Cowboys to success, perhaps even to the playoffs... well, Prescott's price, of course, at that point, would be so deteriorated, the Cowboys would likely offer Prescott a much lower contract than previously proposed, and Prescott would then be likely to hit the free-agent market looking for a desperate team to over-pay him. Again, assuming he, A: Holds-out. B: Andy Dalton actually wins games and makes things spicy throughout the season (Jerry loves spicy.)

But will Dak hold-out? Per Mike Florio, the likelihood of Prescott holding out is "high."

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Let's breakdown the Prescott-Cowboys contract situation: Dak Prescott, per insiders, is not budging on a contract worth $40+ million dollars per year — and by all accounts, Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys front-office feel out of their comfort zone with offering Prescott a contract worth $33-$35 million dollars per year.

As of yesterday, insiders say that Dak Prescott's latest counter-offer consists of a whopping $42 million dollars per year, for 4-5 years. Now: Le'ts take $42 million dollars with a grain of salt. While we have a number to report, we do not, however, have any information beyond that number. We do not know the proposed guaranteed dollar amount. We do not know if certain potential contract incentives favor the team. We simply have one number at this point: $42 million per year. In August of last year, Dak Prescott turned down a contract offer from the Cowboys that would've paid him $30 million per year, per CBS. We also learned in August of last year, that Prescott first demanded $40 million dollars per year, per USA Today. Yesterday's news of $42 million per year shouldn't be seen as anything other than symbolic: Dak isn't budging. And Jerry Jones seems unwilling to go up in price — as he is already at his limit with Prescott — offering the Quarterback $33-$35 million dollars per year. How will this play out? Well, the Cowboys responded by signing a well known, and well-established Quarterback — Andy Dalton. If Prescott does decide to hold-out due to himself not receiving $40 million+ dollars per year to play, Prescott would be saying he is willing to gamble his football future on Andy Dalton not being able to lead the Cowboys to a winning season.

However, if Andy Dalton were to lead the Cowboys to success, perhaps even to the playoffs... well, Prescott's price, of course, at that point, would be so deteriorated, the Cowboys would likely offer Prescott a much lower contract than previously proposed, and Prescott would then be likely to hit the free-agent market looking for a desperate team to over-pay him. Again, assuming he, A: Holds-out. B: Andy Dalton actually wins games and makes things spicy throughout the season (Jerry loves spicy.)

But will Dak hold-out? Per Mike Florio, the likelihood of Prescott holding out is "high."
Uh... Dak can't hold out unless he wants to forfeit the year. After the 15th of July, if he doesn't sign the tag, negotiation is done til the next year. He's shut down.

Redline360

Reaction score
Go do some research. Not going to do it for you. Or keep sounding ignorant around here. Cowboys definitely have done their homework on Dak, hence they seriously intend on keeping Dak as their franchise QB for years to come.

What research do I need to do? The proof is written in the record books. Brady, brees, wilson, mahomes, Rodgers all have superbowls and playoff success. Once Dak has similar success....hell half their success we can then make an argument.

Why wouldn't the cowboys be interested in keeping Dak? He's still falls in the top 10 range. Who sounds ignorant now?

Let me guess you also think Dak is better than Aikman cause he has those "omg look at his stats are better" stats lmao