Clabo signs with Dolphins

jnday

Reaction score
Fla Cowpoke;5077770 said:
90% of this board is against signing older players because it never works....that is until we don't sign an older vet.

I will go on record as saying that we will be improved at C and G, because Frederick is an improvement over anything we had last year in the interior and a healthy Costa is better than any of the remaining guys we had. Parnell and/or Free really can't be worse than what we got from Free for the most part.

The funny thing is that those against signing old players are desperate now to sign anyone. There are multiple reports that Winston has significant knee problems, and that most don't see him as much of an upgrade if any over what we had last year. Yet people know are making him the savior of the franchise.

:bang2:
I don't think it is this way at all. Clabo was the first free agent that I wanted Dallas to pick up in years. It was Clabo or nothing for several of us. I don't want Winston due to his injuries. There are a few fans that jump at every free agent that comes by. Most fans are not that way. Clabo would be a good pickup on a one year deal and several of us saw that it would be a good upgrade until the position was fixed for good. You don't build good teams with free agents. You build teams with the draft. Free agents are for short term stop-gaps. If Free and/or Parnell gives the same level of play as last season, how is that a good thing when it could have been prevented?

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
speedkilz88;5077794 said:
Broaddus has said that the Cowboys and other nfl teams see Winston as a backup RT.

How odd considering he's been a solid starter his entire career so far.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
jnday;5077762 said:
How did that solve the problems at right tackle? They have the money, they had the player available to upgrade the position, how can you defend them not making the move? There is no excuse for not signing Clabo. The fact that he was willing to sign a one year deal makes the situation too perfect to pass up.

There's always more to the story. Even with all the coverage and reporting, we know about 10 percent of what's really going on. It's easy to take some info and fill in the rest. But it typically ends up being wrong.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;5077805 said:

Who's been sent packing by two teams in the last three years.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;5077805 said:
That's looking for his third team in the same amount of years.:laugh2:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki;5077786 said:
I don't disagree that the stop-gap would have been better.

But the fact is that there are young players that need to be extended and that some of the cap space that exists currently is going to be needed for that.

Feel free to take $1.3 million from Bobby McCray.

jnday

Reaction score
burmafrd;5077803 said:
The same people over and over again are against doing anything major on the O line.

The same people were fine last year with dumpster diving for guards.

The same people that point with pride to drafting Arkin and Nagy.

The same people that somehow think if these jags work together long enough they will be good.

The same people claiming the O line was better late in the year
(Must have missed the Commander game at least)

Meanwhile we have a franchise record bad running game
Romo is on the run and we cannot have any pass plays that are real deep routes since he would not have the time

The same people just shrug and say its a process.
But they used another first tound pick for a lineman. That makes two in three years. Too many resources are going to one area of the team.

You know we will hear these excuses for years.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Picksix;5077810 said:
Who's been sent packing by two teams in the last three years.

The only reason i wouldn't sign him is if he has injury problems that are lingering.

The Chiefs were trying to lock up their young stud LT Albert long term and had a top pick in the draft where 3 OT's were expected to go in the top 5 range.

How many sacks did he let up last year? How many penalties was he called for? In other words, instant upgrade over Free.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
speedkilz88;5077794 said:
Broaddus has said that the Cowboys and other nfl teams see Winston as a backup RT.

What does that make Free? Third stringer?

Ren

Reaction score
Nation;5077694 said:
Hopefully Parnell can make the jump to full time

Parnell couldn't beat out Free who was awful, if he's our plan at RT we're in trouble

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;5077674 said:
Even with last year's offensive line, Romo played pretty well.

And this year's will be better.

Yea and our run game was highly effective ... How many yards did the leading rusher have again ?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Pessimist_cowboy;5077818 said:
Yea and our run game was highly effective ... How many yards did the leading rusher have again ?
Free would be the one of the last to blame on that. His pass blocking was bad but his run blocking was good.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
burmafrd;5077803 said:
The same people over and over again are against doing anything major on the O line.

And the same people that complain about overpaying older players are now convinced that we are doomed because we didn't overpay an older player

The same people were fine last year with dumpster diving for guards.

I don't know anyone that was happy with signing Livings and Berny. We understand why they did it, but I would have been much happier paying one stud the same amount as paying two journeymen

The same people that point with pride to drafting Arkin and Nagy.

Really? Can you tell me who these people are?

The same people that somehow think if these jags work together long enough they will be good.

Free has had one bad year but apparently now he is the worst player ever to wear a Cowboys uni. Maybe last year was the exception and not the rule, since he played much better the prior two years.

The same people claiming the O line was better late in the year
(Must have missed the Commander game at least)

Look at the numbers over the second half and they were better. One game out of 8 doesn't make a trend.

Meanwhile we have a franchise record bad running game
Romo is on the run and we cannot have any pass plays that are real deep routes since he would not have the time

The franchise bad run game just might have something to do with an extended run of injuries to the RB's and to the OL

The same people just shrug and say its a process.

It is a process. Things don't happen overnight. The front office is in a tight bind with the cap and has not only this year to consider but the next two. While we all think they would be best served spending right up to the cap, maybe they are looking at conserving any cap space we can this year to carry it over to next year.

The front office has no one to blame but themselves in regard to cap issues, but they aren't just going away so we do have to factor for it.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pessimist_cowboy;5077818 said:

No one said last year's line was a gem... now did they?

Reaction score
We can hope for is improvement from within; guys like Leary and Parnell stepping up into a starters' role. And Frederick needs to be the real deal. There's still hope. They could still cut Free and sign a vet cheap to compete with Parnell. The only question is, besides Winston, who they don't apparently care for all that much, who's left that is worth a damn?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki;5077822 said:
No one said last year's line was a gem... now did they?

And yet you'll make excuses for status quo?

Trying to have it both ways?

Zordon

Reaction score
Fla Cowpoke;5077757 said:
So, you KNOW for SURE that Clabo would solve the problem....nice.

To me he's just another older guy that wasn't wanted by his old team and so he somehow became a savior to anyone with a need at tackle.

The kind of signing that we constantly make and everyone and moan about, but since we didn't make the overpayment this time, somehow we are missing out on the one time that it would really have worked for us.
Oh really?

Then explain your post 12 hours ago....

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5077521&postcount=65

Fla Cowpoke;5077521 said:
If Parnell beats out Free, or whoever the competition is, then I am fine with him starting. I would prefer Clabo but I just don't think that is happening.

Why do some of you insist on flip flopping your opinions to stay inline with the organization at all times?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's over now, this team is going to roll with what is on the roster. Possible they add a late cut for insurance, IDK.

What scares me is...what if there are a couple of injuries early, lets say Costa hurts his back again and another starter goes down. Being incredibly weak to begin with and if that happens, meltdown will ensue.

We will already have a few back-ups starting only to be replaced with 3rd stringers. We really need Fred to be the man now and get it from day one and for Costa to beat out Bernie.

Signing Moore will make me feel much, much better but I don't see that in the plans.

They may be able to just get by with what is on the roster, but an injury or two and it will be deja vu all over again.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ultimategamer5567;5077823 said:
We can hope for is improvement from within; guys like Leary and Parnell stepping up into a starters' role. And Frederick needs to be the real deal. There's still hope. They could still cut Free and sign a vet cheap to compete with Parnell. The only question is, besides Winston, who they don't apparently care for all that much, who's left that is worth a damn?

At this point, I think it's just Winston.

The other ship just sailed.

And Winston's bargaining position just got stronger.