Clabo signs with Dolphins

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Fla Cowpoke;5077796 said:
Trying to find them....I know I have read it here and also on the Ranch that teams are not sure about his knees.

There was a posting that many within our organization don't see Winston as an upgrade over what we have.

Even without articles saying it....Winston has been cut twice in the last two years despite not missing any games....and with cap hits both times to the teams that let him go. He has been a free agent for months and has been tied to about 15 different teams. There have been articles posted where he acknowledges that the money isn't out there and he is willing to work for what would be a salary below what you would expect for a guy with his resume. Despite this, NOBODY has signed him. Even teams with lots of cap space. WHY? There has to be some reason.

Winston has played with Houston and Kansas City in his career and hasn't missed a start since 2007.

http://www.sportsoverdose.com/nfl-players/eric-winston

Vanilla2

Reaction score
To me clabo has never struggled with speed guys. He's had more issues with the bull rushers than anything. -Atlfanstckndenver

Got this off a falcon message board.

If this is true why would we want another teams Doug Free?

IMO I don't think Clabo is much of an improvement over Free.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
In Jerrys mind/pocket book the Oline has been addressed, just look at the salaries.

On paper Dallas has an excellent Oline.

The money was thrown at the problem, why wasn't it fixed?

Free, Livings and Bernadeux are terrible.....signing people who can't play is all about disappointing GM decisions.

Continuing to believe they can play is just pure vanity.

KB1122

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;5077719 said:
Spending a first round draft pick isn't a concrete plan?

There's a difference between a first-round pick and a first-round talent who can walk in and play. Frederick isn't a first-round talent. We'll see if he can walk in and play decently.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;5077831 said:
Winston has played with Houston and Kansas City in his career and hasn't missed a start since 2007.

http://www.sportsoverdose.com/nfl-players/eric-winston

Uh, that is exactly what I said....so why hasn't he been signed by someone? His contract demands aren't ridiculous and there is like half the league that is in need of a good T.

There is a reason why Winston has been cut twice in the last two years.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, this stinks. RT was a problem, and Clabo was a free-market fix we knew the team had interest in who looked too good to be true.

Winston would be change for the sake of movement. Too many reports that he's no more than a backup for me liking.

I suppose the next option is to give Parnell his shot and to look to hopefully cut Free and add a swing OT during roster cut-downs.

One thing to note, Ryan Cook did play two years of RT in MIN before he was replaced by Loadholt. That's a giant emergency plan, but we are fortunate in Parnell that we've got a guy who can play LT if we needed him to, so, we really have to find a backup guy who could fill in at RT and not kill us if one of our other two guys goes down.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fla Cowpoke;5077841 said:
Uh, that is exactly what I said....so why hasn't he been signed by someone? His contract demands aren't ridiculous and there is like half the league that is in need of a good T.

The Texans released him for cap issues only.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
stasheroo;5077843 said:
The Texans released him for cap issues only.

You don't release critical components for "cap reasons." You release expendable components.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheRomoSexual;5077845 said:
You don't release critical components for "cap reasons." You release expendable components.

So why is Doug Free still on this roster?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Fla Cowpoke;5077841 said:

Uhhhh no sir/ma'am... You said he had bad knees...

It's still early and everybody just got done low balling Clabo (The better,) Winston is up...:dolphins: :holmes:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheRomoSexual;5077850 said:
Huh? I don't understand what you are getting at.

You're trying to call Winston 'expendable' when we're paying a much lesser player a ton of money.

Makes us look more than stupid.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
stasheroo;5077853 said:
You're trying to call Winston 'expendable' when we're paying a much lesser player a ton of money.

Makes us look more than stupid.

If we go into the season paying Free what he is scheduled to make, then yes, we are stupid. But it's also stupid to make that assumption at this point.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheRomoSexual;5077854 said:
If we go into the season paying Free what he is scheduled to make, then yes, we are stupid. But it's also stupid to make that assumption at this point.

1 option gone, 1 to go.

I'll tell you who looks stupid to me.

The folks sitting on their hands.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
TheRomoSexual;5077845 said:

Than why is there an 8 page thread of people moaning that we didn't sign Clabo?

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
stasheroo;5077855 said:
1 option gone, 1 to go.

I'll tell you who looks stupid to me.

The folks sitting on their hands.

Our option is already on the roster. I'd rather sign a vet swing tackle and roll with Parnell, who actually has some upside, as opposed to throwing money at retreads.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
stasheroo;5077848 said:
So why is Doug Free still on this roster?

It's like spilling half your beer and wanting your money back or eating half a bag of Cheetoes and deciding you wanted Funjuns instead, Yazeeb isn't giving your money back for half of a Big Red.

Doug Free wasn't Free, niether were Benry and Livings, you bought Big Macs not Steak Dinner. Now you have to eat it.....it all comes out in the end.

Especially for Jerry.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;5077814 said:
The only reason i wouldn't sign him is if he has injury problems that are lingering.

The Chiefs were trying to lock up their young stud LT Albert long term and had a top pick in the draft where 3 OT's were expected to go in the top 5 range.

How many sacks did he let up last year? How many penalties was he called for? In other words, instant upgrade over Free.

They gave Winston a 4 year, $22 million deal last year, and they've given up on him after one year. Okay, so maybe the new regime doesn't feel as good about him as the old one. Fair enough. But as for Albert, they've been trying to trade him, and that's been since they let Winston go. And so what if he's an upgrade over Free? Not exactly saying much. Again, a lot of assumptions going on here. One is that Broaddus's info is correct. Another is that the team's assessment of the man is truthful, and not just a negotiating ploy. And Dallas isn't the only team needing help at T, even after FA and the draft, yet no one has signed him.