Clarity forming on who Dallas will pick at #4

BlindFaith

Reaction score
And when it all takes full effect, Romo will be gone, and the Cowboys will be the Dolphins.

Or, you could take Elliott now and give Romo's last 2-3 years an enormous jolt of energy.

Just my opinion.

So what do you do with McFadden and Morris? Is Elliot your bell cow? 25 snaps a game? And then those guys just ride the pine? They offer nothing of value in terms of special teams.

And what happened to the concept that anyone could run behind this line? And now we need to spend the 4th overall pick on a running back?

It makes much more sense to grab a guy in later rounds. I really like Wendell Smallwood. Maybe top of the sixth. He is Dunbar, but bigger, stronger and faster. He'd be a perfect compliment to what we have in Morris and McFadden.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Zeke or Ramsey? Is that the clarity forming on who Dallas will pick first? The clarity as I see it goes like this...

1 Rams - QB Goff
2 Philly - QB Wentz
3 Chargers - OT Tunsil
4 Cowboys - FS Ramsey
5 Jaguars - DE Bosa

See how Zeke didn't go top 5.

Western

Reaction score
I'm pretty that can be said about any player at any position.

Collegiate Production against quality opponents and picking a player at #4 should be synonymous and require impact production.

If you pick RB at 4, you expect that he had many yards, touchdowns, receptions throughout his collegiate career.
If you pick a DE/DT at 4, you expect that he had sacks, QB pressures, loss behind the line of scrimmage, etc. throughout his collegiate career.
If you pick a WR at 4, you expect that he accumulated receptions, touchdowns, yards, etc., thought out his collegiate career.
If you pick a OL at 4, you expect that he run-blocked & pass-protected without any large quantity of negative plays throughout his collegiate career.
If you pick a QB at 4, you expect that he amassed passing yards, completions, touchdowns, low interceptions totals throughout his collegiate career.

If you pick a CB/Safety at 4, you expect what impact production? Interceptions and ball-hawking skills. Ramsey's interception total was 3 in his entire career at FSU.
Sure he can tackle, bat down some balls, and runaround with some receivers.
Orlando Scandrick did that at Boise State was drafted in the 5th round.

There is a reason why only 3 CB/Safety's (Eric Turner, Shawn Springs, and Charles Woodson) were drafted at #4 or higher in the last 27 years, the value of the pick does NOT correspond to that position.
You can get the same potential player position -- CB/Safety-- in later rounds.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Ed Reed was one of the best ball hawking safeties in the history of football. Not only was he a ball-hawk, but he was a homing missile capable of lights out hits.. He was a high level starter day-1. He was the best safety in his draft and a once in a generation talent.

Ramsey may be a better athlete and wind up a great player, but his pedigree isn't a quarter of what Reed's was coming out.

Also, everything about the draft is opinion right now. Do I really need to add a "In my opinion" disclaimer?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ed-reed-1.html

21 college ints. Yea, no one knew that he'd be arguably the best safety in the history of the league, but we knew he had a nose for the ball, which is why Ramsey is not Ed Reed 2.0.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Ramsey pick scares me too a little because I think hes a better Safety than Corner. In my view Elliott is a Safer pick and does more for the Win-Loss column!!!

Ramsey could be a Pro Bowl player at either position. In my opinion. Corner is a much more valuable position. In my opinion. Why be scared to have a Pro Bowl corner? At 5 mill a year for the next 5 years?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ed-reed-1.html

21 college ints. Yea, no one knew that he'd be arguably the best safety in the history of the league, but we knew he had a nose for the ball, which is why Ramsey is not Ed Reed 2.0.

At this point no one even remembers the vicious hits he put on people, particularly early in his career, either. He was one of the most feared over the middle safeties in the game when he was playing the strong spot.

VirusX

Reaction score
I don't see how anyone who saw Randy Moss play in his prime can make the claim that a Elliot can have that type of impact. I don't think DMurray had a RMoss type impact in 2014 and he rushed for 1800 yards...how many yards does Elliot need to hit to have a Moss type impact?

As I said the RB Equivalent impact. I am obviously not stating that he will stretch the field like a WR.

Zeke is a complete back, AP type athleticism, Amazing team guy and high character. He will change the way teams play us. That is my point.

Sandyf

Reaction score
The only clarity forming is from fans and the media, as to the Cowboys unless you have an inside source who has seen the draft board or privy to their phone calls with other teams, we really only have guesses as to what they are going to do. And with enough guesses, someone is going to be right,....maybe.

erod

Reaction score
Ramsey could be a Pro Bowl player at either position. In my opinion. Corner is a much more valuable position. In my opinion. Why be scared to have a Pro Bowl corner? At 5 mill a year for the next 5 years?

We focus on that too much. Teams are in 3 and 4 receiver sets constantly, so you have 5 or 6 DBs on the field most of the time.

CB - Carr
CB- Claiborne
Slot - Scandrick
SS - Ramsey
FS - Jones
Dime - Church/Wilcox

That's a decent group.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Emmitt Smith didn't have a Herschel Walker, Mike Rozier, Reggie Bush, or Blair Thomas type of college career.

that's not the point. Emmitt was not as good as them in college, but Emmitt did not change a major part of his game either. he always had good vision and durability. he did not all of a sudden become a speed guy, out running guys to the corner. suggesting that Ramsey will be Reed 2.0 is like suggesting Emmitt did that. the nose for the ball just isn't part of his game.

silver

Reaction score
So what do you do with McFadden and Morris? Is Elliot your bell cow? 25 snaps a game? And then those guys just ride the pine? They offer nothing of value in terms of special teams.

And what happened to the concept that anyone could run behind this line? And now we need to spend the 4th overall pick on a running back?

It makes much more sense to grab a guy in later rounds. I really like Wendell Smallwood. Maybe top of the sixth. He is Dunbar, but bigger, stronger and faster. He'd be a perfect compliment to what we have in Morris and McFadden.

They'll have to play ST if they want to make the team. Randle and Dunbar played ST in 2014.

erod

Reaction score
that's not the point. Emmitt was not as good as them in college, but Emmitt did not change a major part of his game either. he always had good vision and durability. he did not all of a sudden become a speed guy, out running guys to the corner. suggesting that Ramsey will be Reed 2.0 is like suggesting Emmitt did that. the nose for the ball just isn't part of his game.

Reed played for one of the best defenses the league has ever seen, too. That matters.

Emmitt would be just another decent back if the Browns drafted him.

Sydla

Reaction score
Passing on Zeke is the RB equivalent to passing on Randy Moss... Except Zeke is a tremendous character/team guy... I think we make the biggest mistake we have in the draft in a long time.

Randy Moss was a generational talent. The league hadn't seen a kid that big, with that type of athleticism and speed coming into the league at that time.

Elliott isn't that type of guy. He's a very nice prospect but people are going overboard on how great he is, like he's a transcendent talent............... like a Moss.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I've heard this now from David Moore, Mike Fisher, Dane Brugler, and a couple of other local insiders.

Dallas' pick will be either Jalen Ramsey or Ezekiel Elliott. If they're both there, Dallas will take Ramsey. Joey Bosa is out of the running at 4.

San Diego is not going to take Ramsey, but they might trade out of the pick so another team can. That's likely the only way Dallas takes Elliott.

Unless, of course, Dallas is trades down, but those partners aren't expected to be willing to give up much.

Sounds like Jalen Ramsey it most likely will be. I'm fine with the pick, but I'd much rather have Elliott because I want immediate impact.

But if Ramsey is an Ed Reed type of player, then I'll get over it just fine.

There's supposed to be a lot of defensive linemen in Rounds 2 and 3.

Ed reed had like 30 INTs in college, Ramsey has 3.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I can see somebody like the bears trading with the chargers for zeke.

Dang a ton of people on here have got me wanting zeke now!

yeah me too, I just think he would impact the team now and for years to come more than
a "possible" all pro CB
Many say things about ramsey like stone hands, and some other things that make me think he may not be all that good.
Zeke as RB is more of a sure thing. and win or lose it would make watching the cowboys next 2 years
way more fun and exciting!

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
As I said the RB Equivalent impact. I am obviously not stating that he will stretch the field like a WR.

Zeke is a complete back, AP type athleticism, Amazing team guy and high character. He will change the way teams play us. That is my point.

And I'm saying there is no RB equivalent to what Moss did early in his career, so bringing him up is just a useless comparison. Even Peterson, outside of 2012 didn't have the impact Moss had in his early Minnesota days...and we won't even compare 2007.

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
I feel the same way. You get a lot of great committee RB's later in the draft. Don't have a problem going defense round 1 and 2.

I'm not convinced the other RBs are any better than Morris or McFadden.

Every year, a ton of RBs are taken, and they almost all end up average at best.