Coaching has a bullseye on them now

Sydla

Reaction score
I guess for you I have to break it down even simpler for you to understand. It doesn't matter whatever play in whatever formation in whatever game plan is being used, ultimately it's the players talent that decides if any play works. There can be the best game plan and a play called in the best formation but if the players don't have the talent to carry out their assignments then the play ultimately doesn't work.

Not surprisingly you didn't answer his question.

Let's ask it another way. Why did the Rams carry out plays better in 2017 than say 2016 or 2015? Why did they execute better in 2017 versus 2016? What changed?

Your explanation is what I expect out of Garrett supporters but completely underestimates the value of coaching, especially during games.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Really.

What hint did the Eagles owner give when he surprisingly canned Chip Kelly a couple of years ago?

Some coaching changes are obvious. Some are not. Just because you think the Cowboys haven't given hints they won't make a change doesn't mean they won't make change, especially if 2018 is a non-playoff year again and/or say they win 6 games or something like that.
Don't even bother with this one. Can't make a point without a condescending tone. Probably related to Garrett

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The only coaches that might have a bullseye on them is Linehan and Marinelli. Garrett will get another pass if this teams has a losing or 8-8 (9*-7) type season. With all the personnel changes, Garrett easily gets another year, that's just how Jerry rolls. :rolleyes:

Big_D

Reaction score
I guess for you I have to break it down even simpler for you to understand. It doesn't matter whatever play in whatever formation in whatever game plan is being used, ultimately it's the players talent that decides if any play works. There can be the best game plan and a play called in the best formation but if the players don't have the talent to carry out their assignments then the play ultimately doesn't work.

This is ridiculous. So what you’re saying is scheme, coaching, play calling and finding a weakness in the defensive formation mean absolutely nothing? WOW. The Xs and Os are just a myth? lol This is a chess match while some just chalk it up to a lack of talent. Pretty sad. That excuse apparently never gets old.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Really.

What hint did the Eagles owner give when he surprisingly canned Chip Kelly a couple of years ago?

Some coaching changes are obvious. Some are not. Just because you think the Cowboys haven't given hints they won't make a change doesn't mean they won't make change, especially if 2018 is a non-playoff year again and/or say they win 6 games or something like that.

First I didn't say ALL GM's and owners give off hints but many do, they are often subtle but they do make them. Second, there have been disgruntled fans that have been saying if this or if that doesn't happen Garrett would get fired after the season for 3 - 4 years. Mostly it from "fans" that don't like Garrett and try to project their personal feelings as some kind of facts.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The only coaches that might have a bullseye on them is Linehan and Marinelli. Garrett will get another pass if this teams has a losing or 8-8 (9*-7) type season. With all the personnel changes, Garrett easily gets another year, that's just how Jerry rolls. :rolleyes:

It's funny how you say Garrett gets a pass because of all of the personnel changes but don't think that would apply to the coordinators who have those same change of personnel.to work with.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's funny how you say Garrett gets a pass because of all of the personnel changes but don't think that would apply to the coordinators who have those same change of personnel.to work with.

Because history would indicate that Jerry makes assistants scapegoats before he goes after Garrett. They scapegoated Ryan and Kiffin on defense. Jerry also covered for Garrett and made him give up playcalling which resulted in Linehan being brought in. And after a disappointing year, they took a chainsaw to the coaching staff.

I don't think it's much of a reach to think that if the Cowboys scuffle in 2018, they could change coordinators and give Garrett one more pass.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. So what you’re saying is scheme, coaching, play calling and finding a weakness in the defensive formation mean absolutely nothing? WOW. The Xs and Os are just a myth? lol This is a chess match while some just chalk it up to a lack of talent. Pretty sad. That excuse apparently never gets old.

Nick Foles would've won the Superbowl in any scheme against Bellichick.... :laugh:

Sydla

Reaction score
First I didn't say ALL GM's and owners give off hints but many do, they are often subtle but they do make them. Second, there have been disgruntled fans that have been saying if this or if that doesn't happen Garrett would get fired after the season for 3 - 4 years. Mostly it from "fans" that don't like Garrett and try to project their personal feelings as some kind of facts.

It's not just fans. This offseason saw more and more local and national media start wondering if the clock has started on Garrett.

I don't think there's any doubt that if this team misses the playoffs in 2018, the calls for his head will be coming from more than just disgruntled fans.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Not surprisingly you didn't answer his question.

Let's ask it another way. Why did the Rams carry out plays better in 2017 than say 2016 or 2015? Why did they execute better in 2017 versus 2016? What changed?

Your explanation is what I expect out of Garrett supporters but completely underestimates the value of coaching, especially during games.

It's like.. If you support Garrett then you just have to minimize the real importance of coaching to be a fan of his.

He's done some unforgivable stuff but the Falcons game should've been the end of his tenure in Dallas.

He gives you the bare minimum from a game plan stand point and just begs and pleads for more effort when things aren't going our way instead of doing something on his end.

Football is a GAME and he needs to treat it like that. Strategy is key.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

What's so ridiculous is how you didn't read or comprehend what I said and then proceeded to project YOUR misunderstanding into what I didn't say. If you would have read and even more importantly understood even the small words like "best" as in you can take the BEST game plan and a play called in the BEST formation (or X's and O's) but ultimately if the talent isn't there those X's and O's really don't matter. If it ultimately is as you say the X's and O's and BTW EVERY coach looks to take advantage of weaknesses in defenses, but if it ultimately is the X's and O's than the coach you think is the best X's and O's coach (that big word best for you) could take any college division 3 team and beat any and all NFL teams because you don't think in the end ultimately it depends on the talent level.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It's not just fans. This offseason saw more and more local and national media start wondering if the clock has started on Garrett.

I don't think there's any doubt that if this team misses the playoffs in 2018, the calls for his head will be coming from more than just disgruntled fans.

And you believe everything that every sportswriter says or prints. It's never dawned on you that a great deal of what they say and print especially after a season and during the off season are nothing more than just their opinions and things to entice people to click on their articles to keep their click count high so they keep their jobs. If I had a dollar for everything every sportswriter has said that didn't come to pass or was just their supposition I could have retired 20 years ago.

Sydla

Reaction score
What's so ridiculous is how you didn't read or comprehend what I said and then proceeded to project YOUR misunderstanding into what I didn't say. If you would have read and even more importantly understood even the small words like "best" as in you can take the BEST game plan and a play called in the BEST formation (or X's and O's) but ultimately if the talent isn't there those X's and O's really don't matter. If it ultimately is as you say the X's and O's and BTW EVERY coach looks to take advantage of weaknesses in defenses, but if it ultimately is the X's and O's than the coach you think is the best X's and O's coach (that big word best for you) could take any college division 3 team and beat any and all NFL teams because you don't think in the end ultimately it depends on the talent level.

This is almost getting embarrassing for you at this point.

Sydla

Reaction score
And you believe everything that every sportswriter says or prints. It's never dawned on you that a great deal of what they say and print especially after a season and during the off season are nothing more than just their opinions and things to entice people to click on their articles to keep their click count high so they keep their jobs. If I had a dollar for everything every sportswriter has said that didn't come to pass or was just their supposition I could have retired 20 years ago.

Of course you missed the point.

Big_D

Reaction score

lol it’s s ridiculos copout. Over a decade of no talent. Anything to excuse poor coaching!

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Because history would indicate that Jerry makes assistants scapegoats before he goes after Garrett. They scapegoated Ryan and Kiffin on defense. Jerry also covered for Garrett and made him give up playcalling which resulted in Linehan being brought in. And after a disappointing year, they took a chainsaw to the coaching staff.

I don't think it's much of a reach to think that if the Cowboys scuffle in 2018, they could change coordinators and give Garrett one more pass.

There is some truth in that, but I think that if the season doesn't go as well as Jones had hoped for but show some signs of getting there that neither of the coordinators or Garrett get fired because of the big push with the youth. What Jones or any owner says publicly and what they really think will happen are probably two very different things but nobody will ever know that for sure.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Imagine Garrett with Foles? That would be a lethal combo!!

Foles, you got to be kidding? He's had 2 good years out of 6. He lost his starting job in Philly, then after getting traded to the rams and a poor year the rams drafted Goff and he knew he lost his starting job again so he asked for his release and got it, then he was signed as a backup for KC with an option for a 2nd year but didn't exerciser it so Foles ended up in Philly again as a backup. So Foles 2nd season he went to the pro bowl and last season he played part of the year and the eagles won the Super Bowl and for those 2 seasons you're proclaiming him some super QB?

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Maybe Stephen will finally be the sharpshooter to finally eliminate these targets....he won in the Dez case maybe these targets are next years prizes.