Coaching Matters and a Super star QB. See KC

Cmac

Reaction score
I'm talking about if Dak was the Chiefs QB... Then again, they wouldn't have been in the Super Bowl if that was the case
If Mahomes was the starting QB for GB or Detroit......I like my odds that SF is not near the SB playing field. We're going in circles.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Crazy part about KC was that they had an explosive offense with Hill, decided he wasn't worth his next payday and traded him.
Since then, they've won back to back SB's. Miami has benefitted with Hill, but that has lead to two wildcard exits with Hill being a non factor in those games.

They now have a legit defense and the #1 QB in the league. God help the AFC if they can land a stud WR on a rookie contract.
when you have Mahomes, a once in a generation talent, you always have a chance. he almost wills his way to wins. its amazing to watch.

shabazz

Reaction score
Of course you can never down play Mahome’s importance to the Chiefs. That would be stupid! BUT coaching matters AND the Chiefs have it in spades.

Andy Reed is arguably the best OC in football AND Steve Spagnola is the best DC with a job( see Belichick). Spagnola is the reason I picked the Chiefs. He is the most under rated DC in football. When KC had to have plays, late in the game, to force the Whiners to kick FG’s Spagnola dialed up excellently designed plays. He put his players in good position to make plays.

If I was Jerry, I would give Spagnola a call. Offer him the assistant HCing job and DC job. Spagnola is a DIFFERENCE maker.

Also, this Superbowl again proved defense is not dead in the NFL. I wish we would go all in on our Defense. My 1st move in FA! Go after Chris Jones.
These kinds of examples are always helpful in illustrating how far off we are from the best in the league......however, this is a bridge to far for this FO and a more achievable goal would for our team to perhaps get to Detroit level in the next 5 years.

Baby steps as always for the Jones regime.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I doubt Mahomes was this good when he first came into the league. He grew into it. And having been to so many playoff and super bowl runs it's sort of second nature to him having seen and done it. 10 points down? Hell we were there the last two SB runs, let's do it. It's the evolution that those playoff runs have worked on Mahomes that is interesting to see. Last night on that OT drive, did anyone have a doubt that they wouldn't score even with the 49-ers defense having a nice long rest?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Dak would have crapped his pants in Overtime. No contest here. And with all that talk from CD and Micah lately... heck we aren't a DC away. We are light-years away from anything close to success (12 win regular seasons haha). But that's mindset (coaching, culture) before anything else. QB next, then defense.
Dak wouldn't have even made it to OT. Look at his games against the 49-ers, man would have crapped his pants in the 1st quarter on the very first drive. Can't coach out the fear.

John813

Reaction score
when you have Mahomes, a once in a generation talent, you always have a chance. he almost wills his way to wins. its amazing to watch.

For sure. And as long as he has Andy as his coach I can't see any team in the AFC truly being a threat out there.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I keep reading how Patrick Mahomes has a photographic memory. Basically going over things on film or diagrams, and he
can instantly recognize it on the field. I think the dude with some of his movements and motions prior to going to the huddle
reminds me of Aspergers or something. Like Elon Musk has...

We may have to pre-screen QBs in the future lol... look for ones with photographic memories and autism. :laugh:
that's a little advanced. maybe first we could look for just a wisp of natural athletic & mental abilities to play the position.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Mahomes carries that team after his defense fought hard to keep them in the game. I think everyone in this forum should be buying a Mahomes jersey. If you can't cheer for him there is something wrong with you.

CWR

Reaction score
Mahomes is so go at extending the play when you think he is about to get sacked. And he also knows how to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack.
The qb series on Netflix was pretty interesting. Mahomes showed his training routine and his trainer had him putting his body in awkward positions to throw the ball at odd angles etc.

Hes so good he's gone past the basics and is covering all kinds of details.

The chiefs will be quite a dynasty before his time is up.

morat1959

Reaction score
Mahomes has zero problem calling out his teammates when they make mistakes. Does it all the time. Dak has never done that. He us quite content with just being the QB of the Cowboys and getting everything that comes with it. Mahomes has talent, fire and passion. That's why he is already heading to Canton even if he never played another down in the nfl.
You’ve got to be able to walk the walk if you’re gonna talk the talk. Dak can’t and shouldn’t call anybody out. He’s the 2nd biggest problem on this team after dumb and dumber.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
This isn't a Mahomes issue it's a qualified QB issue and how important it is to have one that doesn't have our QB drawbacks.
Look at the Texans and the difference a new HC and QB made for them in just 1 year.
Now just give that trash QB of ours an extension and keep them fantasy tales and excuses coming for another 5 seasons!
First, "trash QB" seems a bit excessive. I would consider "trash" at the bottom of a heap and something you would throw away and not ever let back into the league. Possibly a player who has committed a serious crime. I don't think Dak is that, nor would a lot of other teams.

He is a middling QB with issues that you have to work around.

A few things became very obvious in this game for me. Apologies I didn't watch anymore NFL playoff games other than this one so my visibility is very limited.

1. Both teams had a very stout running game, and you need that to play championship football. They had very tough linemen, but really tough runners in both McCaffrey and Pacheco. Those two were banging.
2. Defenses. Both had defences who gave them key stops. 49ers in the first half. Chiefs I believed blanked out the 49ers in the third quarter allowing them to climb back into the game.

The first two mean nothing if you don't have this last one...

3, A quality QB who can threaten you with more than his arm. If there is a realmarker that will keep Dak from ever moving beyond his current level it is his inability to extend plays and escape the rush. How many times did we see Mahomes running around like crazy like a chicken with his head cut off only to escape the rush to gain a first down, throw the ball away or get the pass off to a receiver?

We can beat the bottom tier teams along the way to a 11 or 12 win season. I think the league is so watered down that this doesn't really mean anything in terms of how you will perform in playoff football. But we need to see Dak or any Cowboys QB threaten the defence with more than just an arm. He has to be able to use his legs.

This is key to showing qualities within an offence that can come from behind, and you are typically behind because the other team is giving you trouble. We need to find someone under centre who can beat trouble with more than their arm. This is the only way I think you can be at the level of the best teams during playoff football.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The qb series on Netflix was pretty interesting. Mahomes showed his training routine and his trainer had him putting his body in awkward positions to throw the ball at odd angles etc.

Hes so good he's gone past the basics and is covering all kinds of details.

The chiefs will be quite a dynasty before his time is up.
Mahomes training routine has nothing on ours................. :muttley:
dak-prescott-dak.gif

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I said a few years ago... Mahomes is a prodigy.
You can give him pressure, you can sack him 4 times, you can not shake that kid.
He knows he is that good. His confidence in his ability and preparation is off the charts.
I sometimes wonder if Reid & Mahomes let the other team think what they are doing is working before they start defeating it just so the other team doesn't have time to counter again.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
So? Dak is about to be paid more than Mahomes, and that means more to Dak than some stupid silver trophy and a $30,000 ring. Plus he has his car collection and his own back yard practice field his dogs like to crap on.
Excuse but that field in his yard is for PR and photo ops ;)

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First, "trash QB" seems a bit excessive. I would consider "trash" at the bottom of a heap and something you would throw away and not ever let back into the league. Possibly a player who has committed a serious crime. I don't think Dak is that, nor would a lot of other teams.

He is a middling QB with issues that you have to work around.

A few things became very obvious in this game for me. Apologies I didn't watch anymore NFL playoff games other than this one so my visibility is very limited.

1. Both teams had a very stout running game, and you need that to play championship football. They had very tough linemen, but really tough runners in both McCaffrey and Pacheco. Those two were banging.
2. Defenses. Both had defences who gave them key stops. 49ers in the first half. Chiefs I believed blanked out the 49ers in the third quarter allowing them to climb back into the game.

The first two mean nothing if you don't have this last one...

3, A quality QB who can threaten you with more than his arm. If there is a realmarker that will keep Dak from ever moving beyond his current level it is his inability to extend plays and escape the rush. How many times did we see Mahomes running around like crazy like a chicken with his head cut off only to escape the rush to gain a first down, throw the ball away or get the pass off to a receiver?

We can beat the bottom tier teams along the way to a 11 or 12 win season. I think the league is so watered down that this doesn't really mean anything in terms of how you will perform in playoff football. But we need to see Dak or any Cowboys QB threaten the defence with more than just an arm. He has to be able to use his legs.

This is key to showing qualities within an offence that can come from behind, and you are typically behind because the other team is giving you trouble. We need to find someone under centre who can beat trouble with more than their arm. This is the only way I think you can be at the level of the best teams during playoff football.
Can't make a Glue Factory horse win the Kentucky Derby!!!
No middle involved just Tier 3 Trash that unless carried falls on his big forehead fraudo deer in the headlights face!!!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea they lucked into him. Just like the Pat's drafted Brady and got lucky. It's not a given any player you draft will be productive but there is some luck if the one you draft turns into a generational player. We need some luck.
Its not luck if you make the move intentionally. And put all other pieces in place. That takes guts and work.

The notion that we shouldnt move on....not even try...from dak is the opposite of what the chiefs did.