Coaching Matters and a Super star QB. See KC

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It helps when 90% of the time he has a receiver open with literally no defender within 5 yards.
You mean out of his All Pro receiving corp? The one that consists of a rookie and some JAG's?

They just beat a fantastic football team using basically two TE's, a RB and what could only be described as an assortment of underskilled "other" players.

Seriously, can anyone remember a less accomplished receiver corp winning a superbowl?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
And Taco and Mazi and Shoon Boy and tons of wasted # 2 picks.
Question........why does Jerry keep Will McClay around?
Must make a mean YES MAN as our drafts are below average at best!!
interestingly, most of the failed 1st and 2nd round picks are defensive players. a lot of DL wasted picks.

1942willys

Reaction score
You mean out of his All Pro receiving corp? The one that consists of a rookie and some JAG's?

They just beat a fantastic football team using basically two TE's, a RB and what could only be described as an assortment of underskilled "other" players.

Seriously, can anyone remember a less accomplished receiver corp winning a superbowl?
I can\t. They really have no WRs worth the name

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Mahomes is the GOAT.
Special, special player.
But the Chiefs went and built a stud defense to go with that.

Chiefs had 3 points at the half and 2 offensive turnovers, down 10. Half our fanbase would have blamed that ALL on Dak.
Chiefs won ST and their Defensive lanes.
That allowed time for Pat to figure it all out and punish SF.

Jimmy Johnson was all about winning at least 2 phases. KC consistently does this.
They don't ask Pat to win 40-38.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I keep reading how Patrick Mahomes has a photographic memory. Basically going over things on film or diagrams, and he
can instantly recognize it on the field. I think the dude with some of his movements and motions prior to going to the huddle
reminds me of Aspergers or something. Like Elon Musk has...

We may have to pre-screen QBs in the future lol... look for ones with photographic memories and autism. :laugh:
Pat's college coach was a Tom Brady understudy: Kliff Kingsbury.
Andy moved up and drafted Pat because of what he did on the blackboard.
He said at the time he had never seen a draft QB break it down like that.
That they were on the same page immediately.
He said all this before Pat ever started a game.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
2000 Ravens. Quick now, who were their wide receivers that year?

Didn't have a clue, so to save everybody some work, they were:
Any HOF guys there? Shannon Sharpe, a tight end, was their leading receiver, and even he had only 810 yards and 5 tds.

Of course, they had an all-time top defense. Just noting there's more than one way to win SBs...

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score

Any HOF guys there? Shannon Sharpe, a tight end, was their leading receiver, and even he had only 810 yards and 5 tds.

Of course, they had an all-time top defense. Just noting there's more than one way to win SBs...
Shannon Sharpe and their running back - Jamal Lewis I believe carried the load for that offense.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Montana and Brady are saving Mahomes a spot on that Mt. Rushmore of quarterbacks.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mahomes is the GOAT.
Special, special player.
But the Chiefs went and built a stud defense to go with that.

Chiefs had 3 points at the half and 2 offensive turnovers, down 10. Half our fanbase would have blamed that ALL on Dak.
Chiefs won ST and their Defensive lanes.
That allowed time for Pat to figure it all out and punish SF.

Jimmy Johnson was all about winning at least 2 phases. KC consistently does this.
They don't ask Pat to win 40-38.
You seem to have forgotten 'hommes didn't fold like a wet blanket either.

McKDaddy

Reaction score

Ismail did put up 2 1,000 yard seasons with Baltimore though and over 5K for his career. So, they had one viable WR to keep defenses honest.

rambo2

Reaction score
How the heck does anyone watch that game and come out thinking we are a defensive coordinator away ? Lol

That game basically showed that a super star QB will always outclass a complete team with an average/good QB
What did you think when the Chiefs lost to the Eagles?

blueblood70

Reaction score
KC has great coaching but they don’t see any of these Super Bowls without Mahomes. He’s the biggest difference maker at the QB position in decades. He completely took over the game in the second half.
Yeah,

but tell me how many transcendent quarterbacks are coming available that you know for sure you can't miss in the draft?? 10% shot that about it. Those dudes don't come around very often and you're right he's the person in the clutch moment that's making Andy reeds offense especially the under talented roster that they've been putting out on the field lately and he's still finding a way to get it done but those dudes don't come around you have to find a way to do it with the next tier the next tier Prescott is actually in whether people wanna argue that fact or not there's about six or seven guys in the next level after mahomes they just don't make a bunch of mahomes to be available for all 32 teams...

But here's the thing the original posters correct though that coaching staff designing not only game plans and schemes but momentarily situational football plays to go win games like that you're not only finding that one nugget you're striking a honey hole as they say in gold digging they literally have to have both Brady and Belichick you have these things come around very rare to have both at the same time...

The Kansas City Chiefs just are the lucky team that got both transcendent player meeting one of the best coaching Staffs of all time... They turned that roster over so much but the two steady things are Patrick mahomes and Andy Reed people don't realize how many players they've lost and talent that they've lost and they're still doing it... This weird comments by tyree kill about two of being probably a better quarterback than Mahomes ohh yeah where was tua and hill yeah they were watching with the rest of us wild mahomes in overtime with it all on the line finds a way to win the game again....

So, anybody in here including the original poster thinking it just takes a coaching staff is ridiculous you have to have both to strike this kind of goal you have to have a transcendent player at quarterback and a transcendent coaching staff at the right time and those cannot be recreated easily there is no blueprint....​

I mean do we need any more proof than the fact that Bill Belichick in a very short time was let go by the team he brought I don't know 9 Super Bowl trips and six Super Bowl wins when Tom Brady leaves goes get a title somewhere else now both of them are out of the league... Bill Belichick could not find that before or after Brady but they needed each other there's no way you could discount bill belichick's fingerprints being all over that team he just never had to worry about the offense he created defenses and game plans that could be just about anybody when you have a quarterback you could depend on like that....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You seem to have forgotten 'hommes didn't fold like a wet blanket either.
Dak didn't fold either.
He passed for 300 yards in that 2nd half.

Dallas defense and ST never even woke up. The defense allowed 6 TD in 7 drives.
A QB isn't overcoming that.
Pat is the GOAT and he wasn't near that production.

You guys seem incapable of seeing the painfully obvious.
I am the world biggest Mahomes fan and was BEFORE he was drafted.
I mocked every single person who believed Baker was better.
But he had at least 4 really poor throws in that SB. It was an AWFUL first half for him.
And his team fought and kept it tight and let him find the way through that tough defense.

The Cowboys defense only had 1 pass defensed and 1 tackle for loss the entire game.
The offense consistently started in awful field position and could never run the ball.
Dak gave you 45 yards rushing and 403 yards passing.
It was largely junk yardage because the defense allowed a TD every drive.
Not a FG or just yards but an actual TD.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Mahomes is so go at extending the play when you think he is about to get sacked. And he also knows how to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack.
Right, so you're trying to compare Prescott to mahomes, that's what you're trying to do,

maybe you ought to say this there's one mahomes who's paired with one great coaching staff and there are 31 teams to slice up the rest of it there are not blueprints to find this kind of match... it's transcendent, it happens very rarely in sports that you can find both on the same team at the same time....

So anybody here thinking you could just go recreate a coaching staff and go find them homes and we gave it all fixed here with the Dallas Cowboys you all are so delusional you don't even know what you're watching you're watching rarity you're watching rarefied air with 2 elite forces crashing together like a meteorite... It's just one of those things you're not going to find a blueprint you have to be lucky sometimes there's no way when they pick Patrick Mahomes they knew this was gonna happen it just did happen... I mean how about all the teams that passed up on Patrick mahomes didn't trade up to get him let him slip down to 13 or wherever the hell he slipped down to nobody knew he was gonna turn into this..

But you gotta credit the coaching staff once they saw what they had in him doing everything they had possible to make sure they created a situation to make Patrick mahomes the most successful you can be......

31 other teams and all their starting quarterbacks finished last in the NFL the Patrick mahomes once again.... I mean is anybody stealing Patrick mahomes DNA and already trying to create him in a laboratory maybe they can grow another one of him and say six years with the right DNA I mean can they turn a sheep into Patrick mahomes I don't know but there is no blueprint to doing this it just happens just like Bill Belichick and Tom Brady was also an accident I mean you don't pick a guy in the sixth round and then it turned into this....​

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
There was a lot going on in that game. The 49ers came out rolling but the Chiefs defense made some red zone plays and adjusted to slow don the run.

I think the Greenlaw injury was huge. It allowed the Chiefs a little running room. Before that Mahomes as getting blasted.

Then Mahomes did Mahomes things. Great game by great teams. One of the better Super Bowls all time.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Right, so you're trying to compare Prescott to mahomes, that's what you're trying to do,

maybe you ought to say this there's one mahomes who's paired with one great coaching staff and there are 31 teams to slice up the rest of it there are not blueprints to find this kind of match... it's transcendent, it happens very rarely in sports that you can find both on the same team at the same time....

So anybody here thinking you could just go recreate a coaching staff and go find them homes and we gave it all fixed here with the Dallas Cowboys you all are so delusional you don't even know what you're watching you're watching rarity you're watching rarefied air with 2 elite forces crashing together like a meteorite... It's just one of those things you're not going to find a blueprint you have to be lucky sometimes there's no way when they pick Patrick Mahomes they knew this was gonna happen it just did happen... I mean how about all the teams that passed up on Patrick mahomes didn't trade up to get him let him slip down to 13 or wherever the hell he slipped down to nobody knew he was gonna turn into this..

But you gotta credit the coaching staff once they saw what they had in him doing everything they had possible to make sure they created a situation to make Patrick mahomes the most successful you can be......

31 other teams and all their starting quarterbacks finished last in the NFL the Patrick mahomes once again.... I mean is anybody stealing Patrick mahomes DNA and already trying to create him in a laboratory maybe they can grow another one of him and say six years with the right DNA I mean can they turn a sheep into Patrick mahomes I don't know but there is no blueprint to doing this it just happens just like Bill Belichick and Tom Brady was also an accident I mean you don't pick a guy in the sixth round and then it turned into this....​
Pat never even played football til his sophomore year of High School.
He was a baseball player who never learned the position at all until college.
He was great as a senior but still a 3-star recruit who committed to Tech because he wanted to play baseball first and football second.
Then Kliff saw his raw talent and promoted him to starting QB as a true freshman.
I saw him lose tooooooo many games 52-48 it was sad.
He rocked Baylor in a loss that first start but that was so impressive it scared off a recruit who is a back up in the NFL right now.
NFL scouts sounded like Cowboys derpy fans blaming him for those losses. Saying he tried to do too much and made mistakes --as if the guy had any choice.
Scouts had him listed as a round 2 talent.

And instead of being mad at Tech Pat is blood oath loyal.
10 toes down a Red Raider.

But the arm angles and improvisation may never be found again. He knew nothing but needing to score a TD every series like it was 6-man football.
It wasn't lab built and it wasn't JUST DNA, it was the perfect storm.