Cobb and Cowboys close to deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Strol

Reaction score
but Rodgers had multiple other weapons not named Cobb. Cobb was under utilized especially on special teams.

Cobb has been top 55 in targets per game every season hes been a pro. He has multiple seasons inside the top 25 for targets per game. So you cant say the opportunities weren't there. Or there were not enough looks to go around.

Rayman70

Reaction score
IMO, Cobb isn't a slot starter one bit. Those days are over. FOR ME, he's purely my 5th wr and my starting punt/kick returner. Let Tavon compete for some slot time with whomever we draft. May the best man win.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not a big fan of Cobb

He's been a disappointment since he got that huge contract in 2014. Four straight years of underwhelming production. I don't see how anyone would expect an uptick when he'd be going from Aaron Rodgers at quarterback to Dak Prescott.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Cobb has been top 55 in targets per game every season hes been a pro. He has multiple seasons inside the top 25 for targets per game. So you cant say the opportunities weren't there. Or there were not enough looks to go around.
STILL under used if you look at special teams. That's where he is a real weapon.

Rayman70

Reaction score
a few of these dudes we sign are just camp bodies if we are being honest. At best..role players.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well, its a risk...but at the right price, a good risk to take.I don't think it would change our plans of drafting a slot receiver either. I been very high on Hunter Renfrow as a great fit here in round 4. A steal. Kid has hands like glue. Runs outstanding routes, just gets open in the most crucial of times. I never saw anyone cover him while at Clemson.

I love Renfrow too, but if the team is making moves like this, I don't see them having the room at the inn.

Cooper, Gallup, Hurns, Cobb, Austin, Brown, Wilson. That's seven already.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I love Renfrow too, but if the team is making moves like this, I don't see them having the room at the inn.

Cooper, Gallup, Hurns, Cobb, Austin, Brown, Wilson. That's seven already.
yes BUT...remember we have camp coming and what always happens? INJURY BUGS. Can never have too much competition.

Carson

Reaction score
a few of these dudes we sign are just camp bodies if we are being honest. At best..role players.

McElroy ... yes.

Covington ... 100% will make the squad and contribute

Hyder ... Has to have a terrible camp and some unsung guy would pass him. Lawrence, Taco, Armstrong are all locks. Crawford can double at DT and DE. Still think he makes the squad

Just spitballing, as I know nothing that goes on with the team. Just need something to talk about until we sign somebody lmao

Rayman70

Reaction score
McElroy ... yes.

Covington ... 100% will make the squad and contribute

Hyder ... Has to have a terrible camp and some unsung guy would pass him. Lawrence, Taco, Armstrong are all locks. Crawford can double at DT and DE. Still think he makes the squad

Just spitballing, as I know nothing that goes on with the team. Just need something to talk about until we sign somebody lmao
Covington is a stretch. Plus we may draft a guy at DT. I think we trade Taco during the draft actually. We gonna give the Armstrong kid a real shot at this thing and to get into the rotation...and I happen to agree. He reminds me of Jeffcoat and a little bit like Tolbert.

Verdict

Reaction score
This potential signing could be a prudent value signing, or a return to the old way of doing business. That all depends on his health and the contract terms.

What do you guys think would be the cutoff that puts it in one category or the other? I would have to think that it's south of the Beasley contract.

If not it cancels out the estimated 5th round comp pick we would get for Beasley. It worth canceling out the Beasley pick for a top tier guy like say Amari Cooper (I realize it doesnt apply here) but maybe not for Cobb.

OScan was a 5th round CB. So that's the opportunity cost of canceling out that pick.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think we are simply bringing in high volumes of players ..YES...taking some risk, but gearing up for training camp. Lets slow our roll down a bit and realize..when we hear things like "a depth" player..that is lingo for potential camp body..or practice squad.Our core is still the same.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Maybe he was a ST weapon a few years ago. He has certainly lost a step. I'll take elite speed returning punts.
yes but Cobb will secure the rock. With a speed burner you take a high risk on a guy not securing the ball. One hit...its a fumble. Cobb is built like a RB and can take a hit and secure the ball. Im willing to sacrifice some speed.

Rayman70

Reaction score
keep in mind, when we lost Beasley, we lost our punt returner. He was very sure handed. We must find that guy who will secure the ball. I think that's why we are very interested in Cobb. Its very important guys. We forget about things like special teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.