Cobb and Cowboys close to deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And it's a legit one, that I share. It seems that the team is currently trading "injury risk" for "cheap", especially if word of the Eric Berry visit is accurate.

He's the poster boy for injured.

As for Cobb, he's had declining stats with a far better passer than Beasley played with. That's not bashing Prescott, it's simply stating the truth. It would be foolish to expect Cobb's numbers to improve working with a lesser passer.
Not a fair comment about Cobb having a far better passser because the Packers also had far better options than the Cowboys to spread the ball around to. If Prescott had Devonte Adams and Jordy Nelson over the last 3 years how many balls do you think Beasley would have seen?

Dre11

Reaction score
He can also do "injured" much better than Beasley ever could.

I'm just not overly impressed by looking at what the guy did five years ago. But, if he comes cheap? I guess. Either way, it's not a move that impresses me a whole lot.

Beasely wasn't the model for health either the last couple years. He also was becoming disgruntled with his role, he also wanted more money, he's also gone. Cobb has a proven track record of being dynamic .

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

I just wanted to get the recent statistical numbers out there.
Stash, don't discount the fact that Cobb was dealing with a nagging hamstring most of the season last year (the only game he was truly healthy was week one, I believe, when he tore the Bears a new one).
In 2017 when he was healthy most of the season (mostly with Brett Hundley throwing him the ball) he still had 66 catches for 653 yards and 4 TDs in 15 games.
Packers threw the ball 562 times in 2017.
Cole Beasley for instance, had 65 catches for 672 yards and 3 TDs in 16 games last year.
Cowboys threw the ball 527 times last year.
Cobb can play outside or inside which Beasley can't.
Not dogging Beasley and not trying to tell you what to think, just sharing my thoughts.

Dre11

Reaction score
Not a fair comment about Cobb having a far better passser because the Packers also had far better options than the Cowboys to spread the ball around to. If Prescott had Devonte Adams and Jordy Nelson over the last 3 years how many balls do you think Beasley would have seen?

Then he started complaining

cern

Reaction score
Cobb has played many games with injuries which make his situation seem worse than it really is. He'll be fine.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like how Cowboys Nation is also already penciling in Gallup as the #2...I'm not there about that yet either.... He obviously has ability but he's a young player.

We're giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's even better than Cobb. I think he probably is but he hasn't exactly proven it yet.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not a fair comment about Cobb having a far better passser because the Packers also had far better options than the Cowboys to spread the ball around to.

Oh please. It's accurate. You can try to label it as "unfair" because you can't admit it.

If Prescott had Devonte Adams and Jordy Nelson over the last 3 years how many balls do you think Beasley would have seen?

As many as he deserved when he was open. Or when a better passer in Rodgers could accurately thread the needle and get him the ball, unlike what Dak does.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Well... Dak is a far superior QB compared to Rogers. We all know Dak makes the players around him better.

Sigh...
Dak's much better than Brett Hundley, who was the dude that Cobb was catching the ball from most of 2017 when he had a season on par with Beasley's 2018 season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stash, don't discount the fact that Cobb was dealing with a nagging hamstring most of the season last year (the only game he was truly healthy was week one, I believe, when he tore the Bears a new one).
In 2017 when he was healthy most of the season (mostly with Brett Hundley throwing him the ball) he still had 66 catches for 653 yards and 4 TDs in 15 games.
Packers threw the ball 562 times in 2017.
Cole Beasley for instance, had 65 catches for 672 yards and 3 TDs in 16 games last year.
Cowboys threw the ball 527 times last year.
Cobb can play outside or inside which Beasley can't.
Not dogging Beasley and not trying to tell you what to think, just sharing my thoughts.

I appreciate folks expressing their thoughts, as I've expressed mine here.

I don't see Cobb's injuries as an excuse, but cause for concern.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Cobb's games played in his career

2011: 15
2012: 15
2013: 6
2014: 16
2015: 16
2016: 13
2017: 15
2018: 9

I'm not suggesting he's an iron man but to paint him as some guy who lives in the tub so we shouldn't consider him in free agency is just wrong.
I would've been ok if Sean Lee would've played that much here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you think playing in 15 games rather than 16 is a really, really big deal and OMG injuries then yes, you're on point here. The guy just can't get on the field.

So none of what I said was untrue then?

Thanks for confirming it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Beasely wasn't the model for health either the last couple years. He also was becoming disgruntled with his role, he also wanted more money, he's also gone. Cobb has a proven track record of being dynamic .

You should look up those "health numbers". Compared to Cobb? Beasley was an iron man.

Missed one game in five years.

JBond

Reaction score
Dak's much better than Brett Hundley, who was the dude that Cobb was catching the ball from most of 2017 when he had a season on par with Beasley's 2018 season.
Dak is a top 5 QB in the NFL. Cobb will have 80 catches and 10 tds easy. We are lucky to have one of the best in the NFL. The lack of QB production by Dak has been a fluke. Poor coaching. Now we have the most dynamic playcaller in the NFL. Heck... Cobb could have 20 tds.

Status
Not open for further replies.