Cole Beasely rapper/First Take discussion

DFWJC

Reaction score
Players aren't allowed to have a life. That's not what they're paid for. They shouldn't even have families or friends. From 5 AM to 9 PM they should go to practice, watch film, and work out. Then we seal them in a cryochamber and open it again in the morning.
:laugh:
And they keep their sanity for maybe two seasons

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
For context, I am not in any way opposed to rap music (I tend to like all genres of music), nor do I object to having "hobbies" or even side-hustles outside of work.

As a fan, I couldn't care less how much time Cole spends in the studio composing his stuff.

However, as a coach or GM, I think I'd have an entirely different reaction to what he said recently. Put yourself in the management chair.

If one of your employees had a drop-off in productivity of 50% or more in the past year, and you see that employee posting on social media that (s)he is really a rapper (or actor, writer, podcaster, poker player, etc.) who just happens to be a [insert your profession here], then wouldn't that employee immediately find him/herself in your office to have a discussion on priorities, dedication, and recent performance results?

As was pointed out in the video placed in the OP, if Cole Beasley had a great year last year, I don't think anyone blinks an eye.

I think that it is the timing of young Mr. Beasley's comments may have been a tad bit unwise.

Now, if the fuzzy little fellow becomes a generational phenomenon in the music industry, then YEET!

CPanther95

Reaction score
Bradshaw released his album in 1976 after winning 2 SBs. It screwed up the team for 2 years before they won 2 more.

An unofficial/unpublished poll of NFL expert believe country music cost the Steelers a chance to Six-peat.

plymkr

Reaction score
So what I heard a couple football players say some good players don't even like football, they do as a job because it’s lucrative. Who cares what you say, you say his play dipped, it definitely wasn’t because of his music because he did all but 2 of his songs in 2016 when he had his best season.
I did not say or imply that his production dipped because of making music. I stated the fact that his production dipped. That statement is backed up by the facts that his numbers were down last year. I had an issue with the quote that he said he was a rapper who played football.

Dre11

Reaction score
I did not say or imply that his production dipped because of making music. I stated the fact that his production dipped. That statement is backed up by the facts that his numbers were down last year. I had an issue with the quote that he said he was a rapper who played football.

So what , he’s a rapper, that has nothing to do with his job as a football player. You insinuating that his mindset as a rapper first affects him as a football player, if you didn’t think so, then there would be no reason to not like it.

plymkr

Reaction score
I frankly think it’s absolutely pathetic that fans would have a problem with a player rapping when it doesn’t interfere with them playing football or their abilities.

There is not one single reason why Cole Beasley shouldn’t make a rap album if he wants. Why shouldn’t he? Because he gets paid a lot? Because you think you know how he needs to spend his free time? Because you demand he devotes all his time time to a sport that will **** him over physically for the rest of his life, so you can watch him get blown up by a guy bigger than him over and over while sitting on your *** in the comfort of your home?

I really do think the best word I can describe it with is pathetic that fans actually have a problem with a player making music. It’s sad.
If you're talking to me in this post then I would say go back and reread what I wrote in my posts. I never said he shouldn't make music, or have hobbies or have a life outside of football. I said, and I'll say it for the 5th time in this thread, that my issue was the quote that he's a rapper who plays football. I would have an issue with any player saying that they are a "insert hobby or side career" that happens to play football.

BulletBob summarized my feelings pretty well on this. As a fan I don't care at all that he makes a rap album. I don't care that Gathers makes rap music. I didn't care when Romo golfed. But if I'm Jerry Jones or Jason Garrett who is paying Cole a lot of money and relying on Cole to catch footballs respectively, then I would bring him in for a conversation or cut him. If I'm an employer(Jerry Jones) and my employee(Cole Beasely) just announced to the world that he's a musician who plays football(the job I'm paying him millions for) I'd be pretty upset. Especially after a sub par season. It looks bad. Jerry isn't paying him to be a rapper, Jerry's paying him to be a football player. So I feel Cole worded that wrongly when he attempted to say he doesn't want to sell records off of his reputation as an athlete. I think he misspoke and then the media ran with it. I think he would have been better not bringing up football at all at his record release party or at his record announcement. Then I wouldn't have had any cringe factor with the situation.
To summarize my feelings. If I'm investing in a new house and I'm having a house builder build me my 300k dream house. During the process my builder says he's really a fisherman who happens to build houses. I'd fire him and get a new guy. If I'm investing 300k into a house I want my builder to be a house builder, not a fisherman. I'll go get a house builder for my house if I'm investing that much into it. Now if during the process my builder says on the weekends he likes to fish then I'm perfectly fine with that. I'd probably go fishing with him. But I'm not going to pay a fisherman to build me a house. If I was Jerry I wouldn't pay a musician to catch footballs. I'd be concerned if I was Jerry or Jason and I'd talk to him about it.

plymkr

Reaction score
So what , he’s a rapper, that has nothing to do with his job as a football player. You insinuating that his mindset as a rapper first affects him as a football player, if you didn’t think so, then there would be no reason to not like it.
I completely agree. If his passion is making music then I would rather he retire from football and pursue that Avenue. I'm fully behind Beasely in his passion for music. Go be a musician and good luck to him. I want players on this team like Dez who's main passion and goal in life is to play football. If Cole's goal in life is to be a musician then I'm completely supportive of that and I would hope he would retire from football and pursue music full time. I want football players on the football team. I don't want any players playing on this team just for a job and a paycheck while they pursue their real career.

GMO415

Reaction score
You call his album rap?...I call it crap. Bease please stick to football and drop this stuff.

ESisback

Reaction score
You ain't lyin'. It's the same reason people have issues with Roc Nation, as if Jay-Z is there negotiating contracts for players, lol. They can look down on him all they want but just don't forget to call him their vast financial superior.
A conspiracy theory?

ESisback

Reaction score
I completely agree. If his passion is making music then I would rather he retire from football and pursue that Avenue. I'm fully behind Beasely in his passion for music. Go be a musician and good luck to him. I want players on this team like Dez who's main passion and goal in life is to play football. If Cole's goal in life is to be a musician then I'm completely supportive of that and I would hope he would retire from football and pursue music full time. I want football players on the football team. I don't want any players playing on this team just for a job and a paycheck while they pursue their real career.

Well put. I understand.

Reaction score
NFL = Not For Long

Diversify and maximize your talents as much as you can, because your career could be over in a Thanos snap… then what?

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
A day after Manning settles a fraud case where he ripped off NFL fans for $1000s of dollars, and this is who the talking heads decide to bash?
:facepalm:
What kinda' cash did #9 stand to lose,,,or,,,make! when the LEAGUE PUT the colossal kielbasa to his LAS VEGAS football gaming casing-liner he'd had lined up and ready to bust wide?,,,if you know? (Cuz' I've no clue) but ,I'm thinking he got hosed big time in that dealo_O

Philmonroe

Reaction score
So this is the first time in ESPN or Fox sports that I actually agree with Skip Bayless and Shannon Sharpe or any other talking heads. I agree completely with the premise that the biggest problem with our cowboys is that they are celebrities who are playing football and not football players who earned the right to be celebrities by their winning championships. This is actually a good segment to listen to. Actually makes sense.

You just sound jealous crybaby mad they didn't have the best season last year so you're looking for ways to complain. Just like most people who have jobs they do more than their job. I'm pretty sure the same goes for you too so don't be a jealous person agreeing with nonsense.

plymkr

Reaction score
NFL = Not For Long

Diversify and maximize your talents as much as you can, because your career could be over in a Thanos snap… then what?
Well we have to see Avengers Infinity War part 2 for that. I'm all for Beasely's musical career and obviously I am all for his football career. In this day and age with media coverage and media agendas it's probably not the best idea for him to say anything that could be misconstrued as not being committed to football.