Cole Beasley dropping knowledge

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
I've found that most playcalling critics have nothing to go on beyond, "that play didn't work so it was a bad call."

I've also never seen anyone explain the, "predictable," criticism beyond determining whether it's a run or a pass, as if all runs and passes are the same.

I don't chart plays and formations or anything, but anyone who watched Sunday's game and didn't see new wrinkles in their plays and formations hasn't been paying attention. I don't remember so many called runs from shotgun, for example. They ran more screens to multiple positions than I recall seeing in the past. Playcalling critics have been, in my experience, some of the laziest critics on forums.

If you need someone to explain predictable, I'm your guy. I predicted the first play of the season just to make a point.

Sydla

Reaction score
I've found that most playcalling critics have nothing to go on beyond, "that play didn't work so it was a bad call."

I've also never seen anyone explain the, "predictable," criticism beyond determining whether it's a run or a pass, as if all runs and passes are the same.

I don't chart plays and formations or anything, but anyone who watched Sunday's game and didn't see new wrinkles in their plays and formations hasn't been paying attention. I don't remember so many called runs from shotgun, for example. They ran more screens to multiple positions than I recall seeing in the past. Playcalling critics have been, in my experience, some of the laziest critics on forums.

This is largely BS because there are guys who have viewed the tapes of games and pointed out the predictability.

There is a thread in this page where one of the beats, I believe, shows a formation we use and Carolina had the right D set up because we tend to run the same play out of it (a bootleg).

So it’s disingenuous to sit there and suggest that people who criticize the predictability of this offense, at times, aren’t viewing game tape or understand what dallas does on offense, etc. and just assume that if a play fails it was the wrong call or a predictable call.

It’s equally lazy to write off criticism of this coaching staff as just coming from crack pots and losers who have zero understanding of football.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
Beasely has learned well how to deflect the media questions. They just had a horrible game, I mean this kind of play should not have happened. And there talking about how the fans are full of #$&*#. That was an impressive transition into bashing the fans I must admit. I almost forgot how pitiful their performance was, but not quite.

Haimerej

Reaction score
If you need someone to explain predictable, I'm your guy. I predicted the first play of the season just to make a point.

I understand what predictable means. But you saying they were going to run and get nowhere doesn't impress me. You start calling out route combinations, blocking schemes, or running concepts and I might start paying attention.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Poor execution is all on Garrett. This team has had ample time to get ready for the season....they chose not to practice full speed. Coddle the players...But then expect them to be ready to "turn it on" come the regular season. That's a recipe for failure.:rolleyes:

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
I understand what predictable means. But you saying they were going to run and get nowhere doesn't impress me. You start calling out route combinations, blocking schemes, or running concepts and I might start paying attention.

You don't think it's a problem when the opposing defense knows when you are going to run or pass the ball?

I don't necessarily need to know every minute detail about your play

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or it doesn’t get ignored but rather viewed in a proper context?

Of course the players have to play better. Most people acknowledge that. We have threads talking about how Dak played poorly or the OL played poorly or Williams was overmatched. So any notion that people aren’t also blaming the players is absurd.

The issue is that people want to take what Beasley said and just give the coaching staff a total pass for the loss. That’s preposterous, especially when viewed in the context that what we saw Sunday wasn’t an outlier here. It wasn’t just a rarity under his coaching staff.

I wasn’t referring to the players playing better, but to his specific and concrete reaction of critics who have no idea what they’re actually criticizing but who criticize anyway.

That comment gets completely ignored in favor of another chance to blast the coaches regardless.

He didn’t mention coaching, so that topic isn’t relevant here.

Sydla

Reaction score

I don’t think there is any doubt they added some new things to the play book. But they can still get predictable and fairly simplistic. As I noted there is another thread with some all 22 shots showing some plays that were predictable and some that were strange calls.

Sunday was a cluster mob of many issues. Poor OL play, shoddy QB play, lack of being prepared, some coaching gaffes, etc.

Haimerej

Reaction score
This is largely BS because there are guys who have viewed the tapes of games and pointed out the predictability.

They're not posting here. Got a source?

There is a thread in this page where one of the beats, I believe, shows a formation we use and Carolina had the right D set up because we tend to run the same play out of it (a bootleg).

Which thread?

So it’s disingenuous to sit there and suggest that people who criticize the predictability of this offense, at times, aren’t viewing game tape or understand what dallas does on offense, etc. and just assume that if a play fails it was the wrong call or a predictable call.

Well, again, I did say, "most," of the critics and also referenced them posting on the forum. Rather than tell me I'm being disingenuous, why not help me out and give me some actual information? After all, I said, "I've found... I've never seen... in my experience..." I can tell you right now that's my experience. Care to change it?

It’s equally lazy to write off criticism of this coaching staff as just coming from crack pots and losers who have zero understanding of football.

Until I see something substantive, all I see is complaining. Sorry.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow, you are tripling down on the Jason love. Pretty much, nothing can be his fault. Coaches don’t matter, players got to execute....10 years on.

That’s untrue and not at all how I see Jason Garrett or a fair description of any point I’ve made about him as a coach, but as I said, it’s also irrelevant to the topic here. Beasley isn’t talking about coaching.

And don’t think I haven’t noticed nobody who falls into the category Beasley is describing here has actually answered the question. Interesting, though.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Beasley’s comments are simply standard playerspeak. What do you expect him to say? The ship is sinking and he’s being a good soldier. I guarantee if you look back in the newspaper archives, you’ll find quotes from players at the end of Campo and Phillips’ tenures in Dallas saying “it’s on us - we have to execute better.”

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
There isn’t a defense in the league that’s worried about dak and Beasley beating them. Guarantee that

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
Beasley’s comments are simply standard playerspeak. What do you expect him to say? The ship is sinking and he’s being a good soldier. I guarantee if you look back in the newspaper archives, you’ll find quotes from players at the end of Campo and Phillips’ tenures in Dallas saying “it’s on us - we have to execute better.”

That’s all our qb ever says after a game. Tells you what you want to hear

Doomsay

Reaction score
Why don’t you begin by defending Garrett’s performance over the years. You can’t, because he’s been an abject failure. He’s had his play calling responsibilities stripped. All his simple route combinations and blocking schemes have ultimately failed. That’s the beauty and curse of having a large body of work to critique.

Plenty of teams have indicated that our play calling was obvious and or telegraphed. I’m sure that’s not unique, but certainly not a hallmark of a good coaching staff.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
They're not posting here. Got a source?

Which thread?

Well, again, I did say, "most," of the critics and also referenced them posting on the forum. Rather than tell me I'm being disingenuous, why not help me out and give me some actual information? After all, I said, "I've found... I've never seen... in my experience..." I can tell you right now that's my experience. Care to change it?

Until I see something substantive, all I see is complaining. Sorry.

Here’s a quick example.

Two plays (2nd and 3rd videos) where Joey Ickes points out failures of one call and then predictability in another. You can find more analysis like this if you look hard enough.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/bad-qb-play-and-play-calling-examples.414380/

Note this doesn’t mean it was all bad from the coaches on Sunday. They made some good calls as well. They called some nice runs in the 2nd half. But even Aikman pointed out issues with our O schemes. Is he an internet crack pot fan too?

Haimerej

Reaction score
You don't think it's a problem when the opposing defense knows when you are going to run or pass the ball?

I don't necessarily need to know every minute detail about your play

You think they always know? That's a stretch, imo.

As far as knowing it's a run but not knowing the details, that makes a difference. Is it a power? A trap? A counter? There's 3 different runs with three different reads that can be the difference between a success or failure.

Dre11

Reaction score

Haimerej

Reaction score
Why don’t you begin by defending Garrett’s performance over the years. You can’t, because he’s been an abject failure. He’s
had his play calling responsibilities stripped. All his simple route combinations and blocking schemes have ultimately failed. That’s the beauty and curse of having a large body of work to critique.

I'm not here defending Garrett. I'm criticizing the critics to see if there's any substance to their views.

Dre11

Reaction score

Lol...so that makes it predictable, everyone knows Dallas wants to establish the the run so you have a 50/50 chance it's a run. Ther will be times they pass on the first play too.

Sydla

Reaction score
He doesn't know what's a failure in the play is. You have to know the play design and each player responsibility with in each play.

The first video he knows the play design. He questions the route combo against the defense played. He’s not talking about execution.

The second video he points out a specific bunch formation that Dallas uses that they rarely run out of and often run a bootleg. He points out that Carolina didn’t adjust their D to account for the bunch formation because they knew we would likely run a boot leg. The LB doesn’t move pre-snap and waits for the TE to come back across the formation. He easily covers the TE and Dak is forced to throw the ball away. The bootleg fooled zero defenders.

So it’s not about execution and what player screwed up. It’s about play design and how one call didn’t make sense against a specific defense and the other was a predictable play call based on formation and Carolinahad a pretty good idea what was coming before the ball was snapped.