Cole Beasley dropping knowledge

Dre11

Reaction score
Beasley’s comments are simply standard playerspeak. What do you expect him to say? The ship is sinking and he’s being a good soldier. I guarantee if you look back in the newspaper archives, you’ll find quotes from players at the end of Campo and Phillips’ tenures in Dallas saying “it’s on us - we have to execute better.”

Lol...how do you know? That's your assumption, what isn't an assumption is what he said.

Dre11

Reaction score
The first video he knows the play design. He questions the route combo against the defense played. He’s not talking about execution.

The second video he points out a specific bunch formation that Dallas uses that they rarely run out of and often run a bootleg. He points out that Carolina didn’t adjust their D to account for the bunch formation because they knew we would likely run a boot leg. The LB doesn’t move pre-snap and waits for the TE to come back across the formation. He easily covers the TE and Dak is forced to throw the ball away.

So tell me how he knows the design? Is he in the offensive room?

Sydla

Reaction score
So tell me how he knows the design? Is he in the offensive room?

So is your argument here that the Cowboys players ran the wrong play? In other words, when he points out the route combo in that first video makes little sense, it’s because the players screwed up and ran the wrong play and the coaches had called a correct play?

And the second play has little to do with design but simply the fact that the Cowboys predictably run a bootleg out of a specific formation. Or are you arguing the players screwed that up too and the coaches had called a great play?

Sydla

Reaction score
Garrett is the coach of your team.shouldnt you be rooting for the guy, in hopes he gets your team to the super bowl?
What a novel idea?

I wouldn’t root against him. He seems like a decent enough dude.

But just because I hope he would win doesnt mean I have to throw objectivity out the window as well.

In the grand scheme of things it’s much better for the franchise if he did become an elite coach and start racking up NFC Titles and SBs. But that seems unlikely at this point.

Haimerej

Reaction score
The first video he knows the play design. He questions the route combo against the defense played. He’s not talking about execution.

The second video he points out a specific bunch formation that Dallas uses that they rarely run out of and often run a bootleg. He points out that Carolina didn’t adjust their D to account for the bunch formation because they knew we would likely run a boot leg. The LB doesn’t move pre-snap and waits for the TE to come back across the formation. He easily covers the TE and Dak is forced to throw the ball away.

I think some fans see a disciplined defense and think, "they must've known what's coming." In that particular case, the backside LB just stayed home. He actually said DAL likes to run in that formation and bootleg if it's play action. That's two different possibilities and nothing in the formation indicates which one they're going to run. In fact, our own defense could have killed most of those chunk runs by Cam had they played with similar discipline.

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
You think they always know? That's a stretch, imo.

As far as knowing it's a run but not knowing the details, that makes a difference. Is it a power? A trap? A counter? There's 3 different runs with three different reads that can be the difference between a success or failure.

I think they know more often than not. But allowing a defense to commit to a run and not giving them a reason not to is an issue imo.
Lol...so that makes it predictable, everyone knows Dallas wants to establish the the run so you have a 50/50 chance it's a run. Ther will be times they pass on the first play too.

Actually it's 70%

But nevermind. I guess if you don't see an issue with that there is no point trying to explain it.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Garrett is the coach of your team.shouldnt you be rooting for the guy, in hopes he gets your team to the super bowl?
What a novel idea?
That ship done sailed. You think every boss/supervisor should be supported 100 percent regardless of the job they’re doing? I wish I was your boss. I could get away with murder

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Lol...how do you know? That's your assumption, what isn't an assumption is what he said.

What assumption? That’s literally what every single player in any sport says after a loss. When’s the last time you heard a player say “yeah, our coaches really don’t know what they’re doing” ?

Sydla

Reaction score
I think some fans see a disciplined defense and think, "they must've known what's coming." In that particular case, the backside LB just stayed home. He actually said DAL likes to run in that formation and bootleg if it's play action. That's two different possibilities and nothing in the formation indicates which one they're going to run. In fact, our own defense could have killed most of those chunk runs by Cam had they played with similar discipline.

He doesn’t say that at all. He says when the Cowboys motion a WR into the formation to bunch 11 guys, they typically run a backside boot out of it. He further states they rarely run from that formation when the WR motions in.

Haimerej

Reaction score
I think they know more often than not. But allowing a defense to commit to a run and not giving them a reason not to is an issue imo.

I've said for years there's a dirty little secret in the NFL most fans don't seem to know-

Probably 80%-90% of plays are predictable to guys who study film. How does Sean Lee sniff out all those run plays throughout the years? He studies film and knows what's coming. How does Romo predict plays in literally every game he announces? Are those teams, "predictable"?

I said this in another thread- this isn't rocket science. Offensive plays are generally based off of universal principles known to every coaching staff and serious player in the league. The defense does x, we do y.

Haimerej

Reaction score
He doesn’t say that at all. He says when the Cowboys motion a WR into the formation to bunch 11 guys, they typically run a backside boot out of it. He further states they rarely run from that formation when the WR motions in.

You're right. Had to go back and watch it. I misheard him referring to the weak side action as a run to the weak side.

Sydla

Reaction score
You're right. Had to go back and watch it. I misheard him referring to the weak side action as a run to the weak side.

It was confusing to start admittedly because he talked about the advantages of the formation from a run perspective with all the gaps that have to be covered by a D.

And note, I don’t think our offensive staff sucks or blows. I do think they’ve added new tuff to the playbook. But I still think they have some noticeable tendencies and as I said even Aikman pointed out how the offense lacks creativity.

I think what we have is an inconsistent system tied to an inconsistent QB. Throw in a poor OL like we saw Sunday and what you get is largely crap offense like we saw.

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
I've said for years there's a dirty little secret in the NFL most fans don't seem to know-

Probably 80%-90% of plays are predictable to guys who study film. How does Sean Lee sniff out all those run plays throughout the years? He studies film and knows what's coming. How does Romo predict plays in literally every game he announces? Are those teams, "predictable"?

I said this in another thread- this isn't rocket science. Offensive plays are generally based off of universal principles known to every coaching staff and serious player in the league. The defense does x, we do y.

Well someone posted a chart here displaying exactly what I am talking about combined with the success rate. It seemed to confirm that teams that ran the highest percentage of run plays on 1st down also had the lowest success rate as compared with teams that were more balanced or pass more.

I would imagine this would be related to predictabily.

Did you happen to cone across that while scrolling. If not I'll try to find it

Haimerej

Reaction score
It was confusing to start admittedly because he talked about the advantages of the formation from a run perspective with all the gaps that have to be covered by a D.

And note, I don’t think our offensive staff sucks or blows. I do think they’ve added new tuff to the playbook. But I still think they have some noticeable tendencies and as I said even Aikman pointed out how the offense lacks creativity.

I think what we have is an inconsistent system tied to an inconsistent QB. Throw in a poor OL like we saw Sunday and what you get is largely crap offense like we saw.

I want someone to expound on the, "lack of creativity," critique. It's yet another common refrain that's simply a generalization.

Are you saying they could do more out of certain sets? Use different sets? Route trees? What examples are there of a more creative offense?

Haimerej

Reaction score
Well someone posted a chart here displaying exactly what I am talking about combined with the success rate. It seemed to confirm that teams that ran the highest percentage of run plays on 1st down also had the lowest success rate as compared with teams that were more balanced or pass more.

I would imagine this would be related to predictabily.

Did you happen to cone across that while scrolling. If not I'll try to find it

Not sure. I'll look for it. Thanks.

Sydla

Reaction score
I want someone to expound on the, "lack of creativity," critique. It's yet a other common refrain that's simply a generalization.

Are you saying they could do more out of certain sets? Use different sets? Route trees? What examples are there of a more creative offense?

Admittedly I didn’t hear what Aikman said himself during the broadcast. So I am not sure if he expounded on his comment.

It was enough to get Stephen Jones to call a HOF QB an armchair QB though.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Admittedly I didn’t hear what Aikman said himself during the broadcast. So I am not sure if he expounded on his comment.

It was enough to get Stephen Jones to call a HOF QB an armchair QB though.

I took it as an isolated comment made about a single drive.