Cole Beasley dropping knowledge

Doomsay

Reaction score
I want someone to expound on the, "lack of creativity," critique. It's yet another common refrain that's simply a generalization.

Are you saying they could do more out of certain sets? Use different sets? Route trees? What examples are there of a more creative offense?
Do you have any highly specific examples of less creative offenses? Just curious.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
Here’s a quick example.

Two plays (2nd and 3rd videos) where Joey Ickes points out failures of one call and then predictability in another. You can find more analysis like this if you look hard enough.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/bad-qb-play-and-play-calling-examples.414380/

Note this doesn’t mean it was all bad from the coaches on Sunday. They made some good calls as well. They called some nice runs in the 2nd half. But even Aikman pointed out issues with our O schemes. Is he an internet crack pot fan too?

Dude, what routes do you want them to run? It’s freaking football and we are a power run team.

Do you think they are going to run out of bounds and spin around 3 times, step back in bounds and catch it or what? Enough of the excuses man. The qb sucks. Plain and simple

Haimerej

Reaction score
Do you have any highly specific examples of less creative offenses? Just curious.

I'm not even sure what defines a creative offense in this context. Most seem to be doing a lot of the same things. We always hear about it being a copycat league and like I said earlier, guys like Romo can predict plays from various teams simply based on the offensive formation and what the defense is showing.

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
Not sure. I'll look for it. Thanks.

Yeah I have no idea where it is, buried somewhere in one of these threads. Nice chart though and has breakdown of each teams run pass ratio along with success rate. The only other team that ran the ball as much as we did on 1st down also was just as bad as us in success rate.

Anyway in the meantime, found this if you care to read.

http://archive.advancedfootballanalytics.com/2009/11/offenses-run-too-often-on-1st-down.html?m=1

irving

Reaction score
On game day, they have no control of how a player plays or execute, that's on the player. Fact.
Then I would ask you, why do coaches call time out, or make in game adjustments? They usually do it when they don't like what they see on the field. The fact is and it's been said by more people than myself, NFL coaches probably have more control over how their team plays than in any other sport. So ultimately if enough players don't execute, it's the coach that pays the price, not the players.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Yeah I have no idea where it is, buried somewhere in one of these threads. Nice chart though and has breakdown of each teams run pass ratio along with success rate. The only other team that ran the ball as much as we did on 1st down also was just as bad as us in success rate.

Anyway in the meantime, found this if you care to read.

http://archive.advancedfootballanalytics.com/2009/11/offenses-run-too-often-on-1st-down.html?m=1

Interesting read. I have a certain bias against statistics, though. They only tell us trends, or as the link states, a "baseline of the whole league." The actual truth is in the details. It's one thing to say a pass is on average a better call, but what if you have Emmitt and the '90's o line and JaMarcus Russell at QB? I'm betting on the run.

Or as the link says, "Play calling is never as simple as just run or pass, and there are many different types of passes, ranging from deep bombs to short screens. Additionally, there is some amount of bias in the data. Teams that are good in passing would be expected to pass more often, and teams good in running would be expected to run more often. In other words, we can't just tell the 2009 Browns to pass far more often on first down because their particular expected payoff for passing may not be any better than for running."

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Omg enough.

The coaches are mediocre.

Are we saying it’s 8 years of bad execution? Who is ultimately responsible for coaching the players and training them how to execute?

The coaching staff is mediocre at best. If they were good, they would have won something significant by now.

We kept the OC who presided over the implosion of the offense and regression of our presumed franchise QB. Then promoted the water boy to coach up that regressing QB.

I used to think Garrett was at least a good manager. The move to keep Linehan and promote Moore predictably failed. Let a HC keep the personnel he says he needs, even against all good sense. But then hold him accountable if they do fail. They failed.

coult44

Reaction score
breakdown in execution main culprit. As I say many times, what you see happen with a play that doesn't work or call , isn't necessarily a bad by the coach, you just don't know the intricacies of the play.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/cole-beasley-looking-forward-to-the-giants

So are the Cowboys coaches good at what they do? What do they have to accomplish to determine if they are successful or not? In sports you either wiaqwn or you lose, there's not really a gray area. I mean there is, and that happens during the beginning of a career, and/or during a training period. Hmmmmm. When has JG ever won as a coach? How about Linehan? Marinelli has put on 20 years since he was part of a winning team. Cmon guys. This isn't rocket science

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
I'm not even sure what defines a creative offense in this context. Most seem to be doing a lot of the same things. We always hear about it being a copycat league and like I said earlier, guys like Romo can predict plays from various teams simply based on the offensive formation and what the defense is showing.

Creative offense - Exhibit A:

Creative offense - Exhibit B:

Creative offense - Exhibit C:

Creative offense - Exhibit D:

Last edited:

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
Interesting read. I have a certain bias against statistics, though. They only tell us trends, or as the link states, a "baseline of the whole league." The actual truth is in the details. It's one thing to say a pass is on average a better call, but what if you have Emmitt and the '90's o line and JaMarcus Russell at QB? I'm betting on the run.

Or as the link says, "Play calling is never as simple as just run or pass, and there are many different types of passes, ranging from deep bombs to short screens. Additionally, there is some amount of bias in the data. Teams that are good in passing would be expected to pass more often, and teams good in running would be expected to run more often. In other words, we can't just tell the 2009 Browns to pass far more often on first down because their particular expected payoff for passing may not be any better than for running."

Well in that chart, the Eagles last season completely bucked the trend and passed more on first down than any other team in the league and also had the highest success rate when doing so, and the run was more effective when they did. Although that is obviously tied into their RPO scheme itself.

Anyway the point is, why would you tip your hand to the defense when you could simply not? Don't you find it odd that we are a run based team set up to run, yet have the worst success rate in doing so on 1st down?

Seems like we are ages behind everyone. Why not just mix it up or keep it closer to 50/50. Or at the very least change it up from game to game.

If the whole thought process for running on first down is putting you in better position for 2nd and 3rd down calls, yet that is not what it is doing, why would you continue to do it?

catiii

Reaction score
Well I use the pilot:airplane analogy. The Captain is Garrett, First Officer is Linehan. The aircraft is the team.
A perfectly engineered aircraft can be flown by two different Captains with two totally different results. One can land perfectly in clear weather while the next pilot in identical clear weather flies it into the ground short of the runway. (Think Asiana crash in SFO and Continental crash in Buffalo for examples - both happened in good weather) It's all about how the Captain uses his SKILL in utilising (flying) the tools that he has under his control.
We've all seen teams with no "stars" whip the tar out of another team simply due to planning, preparation, guts/motivation, and play calling (ALL derived from coaching.) Execution can not happen without these things, all of which happen because the coach ensured that they happen. (Lack of play in the pre-season is one proof that none of these things happened with this team and proof the coach was negligent.)
Since there is so much parity in the NFL, coaching is more important than ever, and I think more important than any individual player's talent level. I think that's the key and the analogy to flying fits quite well for me.
COACHING for 500! :)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love that an interview where a player explicitly says people who think they know the play watching from home are full of it revolves into a discussion about how maybe they actually aren’t full of it, and that the comments to their complaining being just noise you have to ignore get ignored repeatedly even when brought up explicitly. It’s like some people don’t want to hear what they don’t want to hear.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
This offense just installed pick plays into their scheme for the first time in training camp.

I mean- who doesn’t think they are creative?? We are cutting edge!!!!