Colts' LB Darius (Shaq) Leonard released

kskboys

Reaction score
Those two players would not clear waivers. No Cowboy player on the roster today would clear waivers.

The Cowboys had to make up an injury to Fehoko to make a spot for Evans. Numerous teams tried to sign Evans off the PS.
Yup, on Evans. He wanted to be here.

Wright? I have no idea how he's even on the team. Only reason he might not clear waivers is because his salary isn't all that high. I think you are grossly overrating Wright. Be shocked if he makes the roster next season.

kskboys

Reaction score
Please answer this: Does he have to sign with the first offer or can he negotiate his way up the food chain? Meaning, if Dallas reaches out to his agent and is willing to pay more, can he hold out until it's Dallas' turn?
Why in the world would we be willing to pay more? He hasn't been good for a couple years now.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
He will clear waivers. Then he will get some offers.
Yeah, I don’t think anyone will pick up that contract. It would be bad business.

They’ll let him clear waivers and then the teams that are interested will talk to him and his agent and negotiate.

Dallas might or might not be in that group.

Ken

Reaction score
Eagles need a linebacker and have playing time, have the best record in the league and he played for the colts where sirrianni was a coach.

I’d say they are in the drivers seat once he clears waivers
They have no money though.

They had to maneuver to add Byard to the roster.

If Cowboys want him, they will get him.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Eagles need a linebacker and have playing time
Ummm. Based on?

I admit I don't keep close track of the Eagles depth chart, but just comparing what they began the season with and what is current, it appears they've added a back-up (at middle). So, it would seem they're set there. But by all means, educate me if you know something I don't... no sarcasm.

he played for the colts where sirrianni was a coach
Right. But that's probably about as important to the discussion as saying "he played with Gilmore in Indy"... not very, since Sirianni was coaching the other side of the ball... maybe even less since there would have been more potential for relationship b/t him and Gilmore.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah, I don’t think anyone will pick up that contract. It would be bad business.

They’ll let him clear waivers and then the teams that are interested will talk to him and his agent and negotiate.

Dallas might or might not be in that group.
Someone brought up yesterday that he has no guarantees after this year. Pay the 6.1 million and then cut him.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Wright? I have no idea how he's even on the team. Only reason he might not clear waivers is because his salary isn't all that high. I think you are grossly overrating Wright. Be shocked if he makes the roster next season.
Mainly agree, and mainly because Broaddus recently suggested that Bones may have been campaigning to replace Goodwin with Bossman Fat, now that MIA released him.

I wouldn't say I'd be shocked to see Wright on the roster next season because I feel like he'll get the chance to impress one more training camp... and who knows... players every now and then who seemed on the verge of a pink slip (Dalton Schultz comes to mind) can mature rather suddenly into what they were envisioned to become when drafted. "Somewhat surprised" fits better.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Doesn't this question really come down to whether you keep Evans or sign Leonard? I mean, what we're mainly missing from what DQ began the season coaching is a legit MLB, right?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
OMG....we have to hear about the Eagles all damn day around this part. Top notch front offices don't draft Jalen Reagor over Justin Jefferson.
Philly’s LB play is pretty bad right now because they had to let both LB’s go in free agency because they didn’t have the money to pay them. Howie didn’t want to spend the little money they had on LB’s.

Their DL isn’t the same without Hargrave. They had to let him go because they didn’t really have the money for a big contract… and that is a guy they really didn’t need to lose.

And yeah, Howie was on decade long cold streak with number 1 picks until he realized he couldn’t draft and just started taking big program SEC guys.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Ummm. Based on?

I admit I don't keep close track of the Eagles depth chart, but just comparing what they began the season with and what is current, it appears they've added a back-up (at middle). So, it would seem they're set there. But by all means, educate me if you know something I don't... no sarcasm.

Right. But that's probably about as important to the discussion as saying "he played with Gilmore in Indy"... not very, since Sirianni was coaching the other side of the ball... maybe even less since there would have been more potential for relationship b/t him and Gilmore.

Well for starters the linebacker duo they have now - one wasn’t even on the initial 53 and the other was a late addition to the team in camp. Nakobe dean has underwhelmed when played but now is on injured reserve. Then by nature the eagles are typically aggressive when it comes to positional depth and Leonard would provide some security for the position.

There’s also Philly based places saying the same thing I am and hinting that at worst there will be interest as evidenced by the 2 links below….

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...ived-colts-linebacker-shaquille-leonard-colts

“It is no secret that the Philadelphia Eagles have been a little thin at linebacker this season. The Birds lost T.J. Edwards to the Chicago Bears in free agency over the summer and, more recently, have had to put Nakobe Dean on the injured reserve with a Lisfranc injury. While Zach Cunningham and Nicholas Morrow have done an admirable job, they could always use a little backup”

The eagles were looking for linebackers at the trade deadline according to reports as well and have long term questions about the position so it only make sense to add depth and take a flyer on Leonard :

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.c...-the-eagles-going-to-do-at-linebacker/546458/

Another outlet that think they are a good fit ( it is bleacher report but it contains tweets that show linebacker interest at deadline )

Now, in terms of your comment about the sirrianni relationship….you completely ignored my other 2 points before that which mentioned the 1)the eagles have the best record in the nfl 2) the need for depth at the position.

Relationships are a huge deal in the nfl and a huge part of the recruiting process so him having some familiarity with the coach matters. It’s definitely not a “so what”

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Now that some of the dust has started to settle on this thing with Darius Leonard it appears spinal surgery and declining production were the reasons he was released. The Colts were apparently willing to let him stick around in a limited role but apparently he didn't handle demotion well. Not everybody can. If he's really damaged goods expect Jerry to sign him this week.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
They have no money though.

They had to maneuver to add Byard to the roster.

If Cowboys want him, they will get him.

If he clears waivers the colts foot the bill and the eagles like any other team pay him veterans minimum….the cowboys aren’t paying him $6m for 6 weeks and neither is any team. The eagles can def afford the veteran minimum. Any team who wants him can afford him once he passes waivers