Colts' LB Darius (Shaq) Leonard released

Carson

Reaction score
Only time I watch the Colts is if they play us. Has anybody actually watched this guy play the last 2 seasons and can comment on his abilities in 2023?
Definite decline. Probably the worst of their linebackers this season.

Serviceable, but not all pro. Will definitely improve a contender

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
im thinking who the hell is shaq leonard? didnt know Darius changed his first name.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
im thinking who the hell is shaq leonard? didnt know Darius changed his first name.
You can track his fall back to that decision.

Go back to Darius, accept our honest offer and let's win us a damn Super Bowl.

Plus you get to share a locker room with Damone Clark.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Surprising move. I found this on Google.

“Colts made the decision to move on, and it wasn't an easy one for the organization. Leonard's disdain for his current role likely played a major part in the decision. Additionally, it has been clear he's not the same player he was before an injury-riddled 2022 campaign changed the course of his career.“

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
Any team that makes a waiver claim will still owe him $6.5 million this year. Base salary is $13.6 million in 2024, $14.8 million in 2025, and $19.2 million in 2026 with 2024, 2025, and 2026 not guaranteed. Missed 14 games last year but only 1 game missed this year.

The only way I think Dallas would consider this is if he passed through waivers without a claim and we were able to sign him a lot cheaper.
oh I agree, but don't we have enough players from the land of misfit toys (holiday season reference)? There is no good reason to sign a player like this when we have enough dead salary cap money as it is and it may get higher this off season. Just make do and draft or acquire healthy players in FA.

irishline

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Numerous teams would like us to gut Evans.
full

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Leonard is a run-stopper under thirty years of age (28), 6’2” and 230 lbs with a recent history of disk issues. Mike Fisher thinks the Cowboys should make a bid. I think he’s right.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Colts fans seem to be totally on board with this move. I think this is a case where some people who are fans of other teams fall in love with a name they recognize without knowing that he’s their worst linebacker, had an injury he never recovered from, makes a ton of money and isn’t happy with his role.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
What a fall he's taken. He was one of the best defensive players in the league not long ago.
If he clears waivers and health checks, the Cowboys need to work him out and sign him. Did anyone notice that the Panther rushed for +100 yds Sunday. You cannot win in Nov, and Dec without running the ball and stopping the run.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
For once, I wish Jerry would get up off of his drunken butt and be aggressive again. I hate this new found Jerry who still manages not to win anything of importance.

ATXSRT

Reaction score

I think his "mental issues" stem from having a neck injury and then coming back to a team a year later with a different D coordinator who doesn't know how to use him. And then going from an All-pro who set the LBer market when he got paid, to being seldomly used. All that can take a toll on someone. I think he'd be a great pickup, just to ease him in and see what he can do. What's the risk?? He can take Damon Clarks position, that would solidify our D imo if he can be half of what he was as an All pro.