Colts' LB Darius (Shaq) Leonard released

Carson

Reaction score
He will clear waivers. No one is picking up his salary.

a) Who would you cut for him?
b) You do realize he would most likely not be active for even one game the rest of the year.
Why wouldnt he be active? He’s played every game but one this season

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
they have great draft picks regardless. why did they trade for claypool last year? why did they trade for sweat this year. they've shown several times now that they are willing to make moves
Yeah but why would you make your draft picks worse for a one year rental of Leonard? Just because they made those moves doesn't mean they were the right moves. Sweat I can understand. They traded for Claypool to give Fields another weapon.

Proof

Reaction score
Yeah but why would you make your draft picks worse for a one year rental of Leonard? Just because they made those moves doesn't mean they were the right moves. Sweat I can understand. They traded for Claypool to give Fields another weapon.
I don't think that leonard (or much of any single player) will impact their draft picks. especially with carolinas pick already in play. for a one year rental, yes it would be foolish, but I can see it as a piece to include with their next draft haul. plus his connection with eberflus. claypool i mentioned because they gave up a 2nd for him when that was unnecessary as for the "why would they do ___". all good though

slick325

Reaction score
Correct you take on his deal. You’re paying average linebacker player elite money

Thanks for posting

I wonder how much guaranteed money is left beyond the $6.11M. No way he gets claimed with guaranteed money left on the deal. Unless a team reworks the deal immediately.

Those are some big cap numbers for an injured player. Curious to see how waivers plays out.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Thanks for posting

I wonder how much guaranteed money is left beyond the $6.11M. No way he gets claimed with guaranteed money left on the deal. Unless a team reworks the deal immediately.

Those are some big cap numbers for an injured player. Curious to see how waivers plays out.
I was wondering could you do that? Sign him and then sign him to another deal after you claim him?

ATXSRT

Reaction score
Thanks for posting

He's guaranteed another 6 million next year as well if he's claimed off waivers. So he'll likely clear waivers and be a free agent. Hopefully we at least give him a look.

Carson

Reaction score
He's guaranteed another 6 million next year as well if he's claimed off waivers. So he'll likely clear waivers and be a free agent. Hopefully we at least give him a look.
He’s close with Gilmore and Malik Hooker. Hopefully this helps swing it in our favor

ATXSRT

Reaction score
Because he is not beating out any of the LBs on the Cowboys right now.
Because he does not know the system.
Because he doesn’t play special teams, I’m guessing.

The Cowboys can barely carve out a roster spot for LB Evans right now.
We can just cut Evans lol.

Praxit

Reaction score
He hasn’t been the same since his injury. He even said it himself, that he was afraid of making contact. That isn’t going to work out for a linebacker.
.. yep, a linebacker job is all about contact

Adiba1977

Reaction score
Because he is not beating out any of the LBs on the Cowboys right now.
Because he does not know the system.
Because he doesn’t play special teams, I’m guessing.

The Cowboys can barely carve out a roster spot for LB Evans right now.
Pretty much anyone can beat out our current lb lol. We suck at lb

The Natural

Reaction score
Only time I watch the Colts is if they play us. Has anybody actually watched this guy play the last 2 seasons and can comment on his abilities in 2023?