Combine Chatter Thread

goshan

Reaction score
Wentz is gone when we pick. Watch the Combine.
Goff is very tentative and a bit shy. He doesn't have the personality. It will push him below Wentz, who has much more the It factor.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Don't think both will be gone, but I do think it 's possibly Dallas could believe other players available are better than the QB who is left, and it is possibly the Cowboys could be right if they think that.

There's going to be a lot of crying around here on draft day if Dallas passes on Goff. Lot of cursing Jerry. Lot of doom and gloom. Few will wait to see if that QB turns out to be Peyton Manning or JaMarcus Russell before determining that it was the worst move ever by Dallas.

Frankly, if Dallas doesn't believe the QB remaining is worth taking at No. 4, then the team shouldn't take him, no matter how he turns out.

I think where we get into the gray area is if the QB who is available is worth taking at No. 4 and Dallas chooses the DE who is worth taking at No. 4 or the DB who is worth taking at No. 4 instead. But frankly, I'm not going to gripe if the team grabs an impact player with the pick, no matter the position.

Except from everything the drunken clown is spewing, it's not about the QB making the grade. It's about this fantasy he has of Romo playing forever, so why take one early? Yes it's dumb, and yes it will be dumb no matter what because of the approach our GM is taking in regards to the future at the most valuable position in sports.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He wanted Manziel... If Goff or Wentz are there .. We're taken one

I'm not buying that for a second. For one, I don't think what did or didn't happen last year has anything to do with this year. Secondly, Jerry doesn't call the shots any more. What he wants doesn't reign supreme any more.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Wentz is gone when we pick. Watch the Combine.
Goff is very tentative and a bit shy. He doesn't have the personality. It will push him below Wentz, who has much more the It factor.

People keep trying to sell themselves that Goff is better than Wentz but I just don't see it at all.

Goff may end up being better but all he has going for him over Wentz is he played at Cal.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And no way am I trading up to get ahead of Cleveland... no way, no how.

Not with a 4-12 team that is full of holes.

Not after watching what good defenses can accomplish.

If Wentz goes to Cleveland, then he goes to Cleveland.

I'm staying at #4 and taking the Goff or a player whom I believe is superior.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's what one NFL.com writer said about Dak Prescott...

• Writer | NFL.com
Dak Prescott offers value beyond Round 1 as an enticing developmental selection
Mississippi State QB Dak Prescott's combination of arm and athleticism makes him an exciting prospect, and one who won't come with a first-round price tag. As such, he's less likely to be picked by a team that needs to press him into immediate service, which could aid his development and transition away from the read-option offense he ran at MSU.

There might be better quarterback prospects in this draft, but a few years from now, Prescott could look like the best value relative to where he's chosen.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Here's what one NFL.com writer said about Dak Prescott...

• Writer | NFL.com
Dak Prescott offers value beyond Round 1 as an enticing developmental selection
Mississippi State QB Dak Prescott's combination of arm and athleticism makes him an exciting prospect, and one who won't come with a first-round price tag. As such, he's less likely to be picked by a team that needs to press him into immediate service, which could aid his development and transition away from the read-option offense he ran at MSU.

There might be better quarterback prospects in this draft, but a few years from now, Prescott could look like the best value relative to where he's chosen.

I'm just not a fan. He just seems average at everything. Nothing stands out to me.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm not buying that for a second. For one, I don't think what did or didn't happen last year has anything to do with this year. Secondly, Jerry doesn't call the shots any more. What he wants doesn't reign supreme any more.

I don't even think he wanted Manziel.. I think he was just saying he did to spark conversation.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I don't even think he wanted Manziel.. I think he was just saying he did to spark conversation.

He did an interview Week 2 that year complaining that he wasn't allowed to go with his gut and take Manziel. He said it was just like the time people told him not to buy the Cowboys and he just knew they were wrong and he should follow his instincts. He claimed Manziel was a franchise impacting player. He did a few interviews before the Cowboys were playing like one of the better teams and Zack Martin was looking like the steal of the draft. He suddenly stopped talking about Money Manziel after that.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Watching the Combine now, I had to work today. That segment they did with Dez highlights made me sad and happy at the same time. I hope his career isn't wasted, never getting a real shot at a championship.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Todd....

i

Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State
Wentz and Jared Goff separated themselves from the pack even more this week. After entering Indianapolis with the best tape of the QB crew, they both put on a clinic during the on-field drills Saturday. Wentz, in particular, showed quick feet in his drops and excellent timing/placement on his throws. He's been consistent throughout the postseason process, and there have been very few surprises from his tape. I was told that Wentz could test similar to Andrew Luck, but that didn't really come to fruition. As the chart below shows, Luck had a much stronger workout session at the combine, despite the two QBs having very similar frames. With that said, Wentz's testing numbers were all around average for the position, so teams won't come away from the combine with concerns in that regard.

Combine Results: Luck Vs. Wentz

..............................LUCK...............WENTZ
Height.....................6-4......................6-5
Weight...................234.....................237
Hand size...............10".....................10"
40-yard dash.........4.67....................4.77
Vertical jump..........36"....................30.5"
Broad jump...........10-4....................9-10
Miracles...................0..................Numerous

i

Jared Goff, QB, Cal
On tape, Goff is a naturally accurate thrower who displays above-average anticipation. Not much changed during on-field passing drills Saturday. He showed off his smooth stroke and threw the ball with good touch and accuracy throughout. Goff isn't an elite athlete -- his measurables in the 40-yard dash, vertical jump and broad jump were all average or slightly below average for his position -- but we knew that coming in. While he will never be a legit running threat in the NFL, he shows the ability on tape to escape pressure and occasionally scramble for a first down. That's exactly what teams want to see. The only red flag for Goff this week? His 9-inch hands.

i

Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame
Fuller cemented himself as one of the fastest WRs in this class with a scorching 40 time of 4.32 seconds. To put that number into context, only one other receiver broke 4.4 (Kolby Listenbee, 4.35) and the third-place guy came in at 4.42 (Trevor Davis). That's exactly what scouts wanted to see from Fuller, who's a vertical burner on tape. My NFL comparison for Fuller right now is Jets WR Devon Smith, who was drafted out of Ohio State last season. They have similar frames (a shade over 6-foot and around 190 pounds). Fuller ran the 40 a full tenth of a second faster at the combine, but Smith showed more consistent ball skills on tape. Fuller had a lot of drops in college, and we got a possible explanation for why: His hands measured just 8¼ inches, smaller than Smith's (9 inches) and well below the five-year average for WRs (9¼ inches).

i

Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis
Let's start with the positive: Lynch looks the part -- 6-foot-6½, 244 pounds, 10¼-inch hands. And the ball gets to his receivers in a hurry. Lynch has the strongest arm of the top-three quarterbacks, and he showed off a great deep ball on Saturday. But he comes from an offense that relied on a lot of screens and short routes, and when asked to throw a more diverse set of passes during on-field drills, he was inconsistent with his accuracy. He plays with loud feet, and is still working through his drops. Lynch is an intriguing prospect, but he's not nearly as polished as Goff or Wentz.

i

Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma
Shepard needed to run well, and he did, posting a 4.48 40-yard dash. He also showed great explosiveness in his jumps -- 41 inches in the vertical (tied with Josh Doctson for No. 1 among WRs) and 10 feet 2 inches in the broad. Shepard didn't do as well in the agility drills, but that's an area in which he excels when you're watching the tape. He's a highly instinctive slot WR with good route-running ability and a history of showing up in big moments. His performance in Indy might have solidified him as a Day 2 pick.

i

Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State
Miller didn't raise any red flags with his 4.50 40-yard dash, but it was underwhelming considering he checked in at a shade over 6-foot-1, weighed 201 pounds and was expected to run in the low 4.4s. He'll need to run faster at Ohio State's pro day on March 11. On the bright side, Miller blew away the agility drills as expected, running the short shuttle in 4.07 seconds (tied for tops among WRs) and the three-cone in 6.65 seconds (third-best). Those quick feet are why many are intrigued by Miller, who has been playing wide receiver for less than a year. Much like at the Senior Bowl last month, Miller continues to look more natural as a pass-catcher.

Last edited:

MikeT22

Reaction score

Stephen does make a lot of the decisions now. But, no doubt Jerry will still have the deciding vote when it come to major decisions, like HC and what we do with a top 5 pick.

KB1122

Reaction score
If you like a quarterback enough to draft him at #4, then you like him enough to trade to No. 1 to get him, if necessary.

I'm really not in favor of "taking the leftover." Of course unless the leftover is the one you really want.