Combine Chatter Thread

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm a fan.. I get to be wrong and 2nd guess.

Romo has had back surgery, has broke his ribs, broke his shoulder, and is getting older.

I question his durability going forward regardless if he plays 4 or 5 more years.

We coached Wentz. We should be 2 legs up on all 31 other teams.

If one of these guys is available and we pass on the for foot soldier like Bosa then they better not be superstars.

If Wentz is one of the best in the league in a few years then we should've moved up. This top 4 pick hopefully won't come around often.

Well, you don't want to be the team that blew the No. 4 overall pick, so I do agree that whether it's Wentz, Bosa, Ramsey, Goff, etc., Dallas needs to hit it out of the park or get the criticism it deserves, much like the Claiborne pick. However, I always temper my outrage by acknowledging the fact that other teams felt the same way about the player; we were just the unlucky stooge to take him.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Secondly, Jerry doesn't call the shots any more. What he wants doesn't reign supreme any more.

And the Earth is flat. And there were WMDs in Iraq.

The guy who so covets the power doesn't choose to use it.

Good stuff. Did anybody's insider tell them that?

KB1122

Reaction score
Who knows what really is going thru Johnnie Walker Jones' mind?

The continued 4-5 years with Romo talk is annoying and frightening considering the GM's 20 year track record of ineptness.

One question I do have though: while Romo is a very good qb, why is the guy treated like he's some HOF qb with multiple SB wins? He's been a successful qb for the better part of a decade, and while this is the ultimate team game, I wouldn't say he's a guy that has elevated his game in the playoffs or frankly gotten his team there.

There are a lot of people saying that drafting a quarterback is a bad idea because Romo is going to be there for three years. The question I have is, even if Romo is surprisingly healthy, who is to say that Goff or Wentz doesn't win that position a lot sooner?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Well, you don't want to be the team that blew the No. 4 overall pick, so I do agree that whether it's Wentz, Bosa, Ramsey, Goff, etc., Dallas needs to hit it out of the park or get the criticism it deserves, much like the Claiborne pick. However, I always temper my outrage by acknowledging the fact that other teams felt the same way about the player; we were just the unlucky stooge to take him.

If we draft a QB early and they bust I'm fine with it.

It's not as franchise crippling as it once was with the new pay scale.

JPostSam

Reaction score
Rodney Peete was a 6th round pick, no one told Jerry to draft him over Troy. I'd believe that he suggested it himself but I'm sure was quickly shot down by Jimmy Johnson, aka the guy in charge of personnel.

usc and ucla squared off that year and lots of people thought peete was the better prospect. they were fools, but jerry's point is not necessarily fiction.

MikeT22

Reaction score
I think the Browns will take Wentz. But they could take Goff if they prefer a more polished QB who can start sooner, but that would be really near-sighted

I'm 99% sure the Cowboys will draft a QB. But not so sure it'll be at #4. If the Browns do take Goff then I think there's a good chance we take Wentz. But if Wentz is gone I think the odds are much lower we select Goff.

One option that I don't like is Wentz is gone, we don't like Goff at #4 and decide to go Ramsey/Bosa/Jack while then taking a QB like Cook, Hackenberg or Prescott in the 2nd/3rd. If we pass on QB in the first I'd much rather not take one at all or at least wait til day 3 to take a developmental QB to groom as the backup. I really don't like the 2nd tier group of QB's and think it'd be a big waste of a day 2 pick to take one especially considering how deep the draft is at other need positions like DL, WR, DB, RB.

Another option is if we pass on a QB at #4 we could possibly trade down with the 49ers who may be after Goff. If that happens we still could possibly draft the guy who drops to #7 out of the Ramsey/Bosa/Jack group (probably Jack) while acquiring an additional 2nd rounder and another pick or two. That would at least make it more acceptable if we decide to take a QB on day 2 while still having 2 other day two picks.

Option 3 would be if we pass on a QB at #4 but end up trading down into the 10-15 range where we could possibly then draft Lynch while netting a large return in the trade. I do think this is the least likely scenario though.

I think we'll either take Wentz/Goff or end up taking Ramsey/Bosa/Jack and then unfortunately drafting a 2nd tier QB on day two.

Reactions: BAT

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DE Bench Press Reps
Ronald Blair 32
Matt Judon 30
Dean Lowry 30
Ufomba Kamalu 26
Bronson Kaufusi 25
Mehdi Abdesmad 25
Joey Bosa 24
Shilique Calhoun 23
Shawn Oakman 23
Romeo Okwara 23
Charles Tapper 23
Jason Fanaika 23
Kamalei Correa 21
Carl Nassib 21
James Cowser 21
Emmanuel Ogbah 20
Jihad Ward 20
Branden Jackson 20
Giorgio Newberry 20
Sterling Bailey 20
Jimmy Bean 20
Ron Thompson 20
D.J. Pettway 17
Dadi Nicholas 14

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Was higher on Paxton Lynch and pushed him above Wentz and Goff before the Combine but from what I have seen from Wentz (discounting the North/South game) he projects sooner than Lynch. Whom both have about the same ceiling, but still look very raw.

On the other hand the Cal product showed up, Goff though he is not physically elite like others, he is ready to be productive in an NFL system from the get go. Goffs' arm is clearly not an issue, and neither are his the size of his mitts. With the best footwork you've seen by a mile, he looks effortless and comfortable, accurately making the pro throws with a nice rhythm.

If Goff isn't there and you want real impact for coming season at 4, you'd have to go Bosa or Buckner.

Last edited:

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
usc and ucla squared off that year and lots of people thought peete was the better prospect. they were fools, but jerry's point is not necessarily fiction.

Peete received more Heisman votes than Aikman and some might have felt he was the better college player but no one (in the NFL) thought Peete was the better prospect. If a single NFL decision maker felt that way, they surely would have jumped at the chance to draft Peete sometime before the 6th round.

It is Jerry trying to rationalize. It wreaks of his immediate defensive response... "Would you get embarrassed if you were standing in this stadium? Seriously.” ...when a reporter had to nerve to ask him if if he ever felt embarrassed in the wake of the Cowboys missing the playoffs for the fourth consecutive season and losing a win-or-go-home Week 17 game for the third straight year.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DT Bench Press Reps
Chris Mayes 33
Matthew Ioannidis 32
Andrew Billings 31
D.J. Reader 30
Kenny Clark 29
Javon Hargrave 29
Luther Maddy 29
Sheldon Rankins 28
Robert Nkemdiche 28
Anthony Zettel 28
Willie Henry 28
Vernon Butler 26
Chris Jones 26
Joel Heath 26
Austin Johnson 25
Maliek Collins 25
Hassan Ridgeway 24
Quinton Jefferson 24
Jonathan Bullard 23
DeVaunte Sigler 23
A'Shawn Robinson 22
Connor Wujciak 22
Adolphus Washington 21
Sheldon Day 21
Vincent Valentine 17

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was higher on Paxton Lynch and pushed him above Wentz and Goff before the Combine, what I have seen from Wentz projects sooner than Lynch who both have about the same ceiling but look very raw.

On the other hand the Cal product showed up, Goff though he is not physically elite, is ready to be productive in an NFL system from the get go. His arm is clearly not an issue, and neither are his the size of his mitts. If Goff isn't there and you want real impact for coming season at 4, you'd have to go Bosa or Buckner.

What about the people who understand the draft and aren't fixated on 2016? Who should they take?

Reaction score
What about the people who understand the draft and aren't fixated on 2016? Who should they take?

It's stunning how shortsighted people can be.

The people most responsible for the long term future of the team can't look past their own nose. I guess a meteorite is going to crash and destroy the earth after the 2016 season, so taking a QB of the future is silly.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
That's pretty disappointing from Billings after all the lead up. He wasn't even tops at his position.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We'll see how it plays out won't we?

The fact is that Wentz could very well be gone by #4... then what? Jerry's a fool?

I can hear it now.

Let's see how this pick plays out so we can finally figure out whether Jerry's an idiot or not.

That's been put to bed years ago. Yes. He certainly is. I mean. Cmon. Let's have a real discussion of the team and not this fantasy land you guys like to create here.

If our scouting department has even one of these three QBs as a franchise caliber player and the Cowboys don't do what they have to do to obtain that player, yes...Jerry will prove once again that he has no clue what he's doing. A football melvin. His son too, btw.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Let's see how this pick plays out so we can finally figure out whether Jerry's an idiot or not.

That's been put to bed years ago. Yes. He certainly is. I mean. Cmon. Let's have a real discussion of the team and not this fantasy land you guys like to create here.

If our scouting department has even one of these three QBs as a franchise caliber player and the Cowboys don't do what they have to do to obtain that player, yes...Jerry will prove once again that he has no clue what he's doing. A football melvin. His son too, btw.

If you are so good at building an NFL roster go get a job.