Combine Chatter Thread

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Let's see how this pick plays out so we can finally figure out whether Jerry's an idiot or not.

That's been put to bed years ago. Yes. He certainly is. I mean. Cmon. Let's have a real discussion of the team and not this fantasy land you guys like to create here.

If our scouting department has even one of these three QBs as a franchise caliber player and the Cowboys don't do what they have to do to obtain that player, yes...Jerry will prove once again that he has no clue what he's doing. A football melvin. His son too, btw.

Jerry sounds like he wouldn't want that franchise QB even at 4, let alone in a trade up. I'm probably going to pad my room and hide anything light enough to throw on draft night. I'll probably also stay away from here for awhile so I don't get IP banned...

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
No, it's about the team and exercising the draft process the proper way to build the best future.

So I'll ask again. Who should we take if we at approach the draft correctly?

For this roster, the best Player Available, if you don't play trade down, at 4 that would be a Dlineman considering the absence of Hardy and uncertainty of Gregory. Just the wrong draft for a 4 top pick at the QB position.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's stunning how shortsighted people can be.

The people most responsible for the long term future of the team can't look past their own nose. I guess a meteorite is going to crash and destroy the earth after the 2016 season, so taking a QB of the future is silly.

They'll care about 2017 in 2017 and 2018 and 2018. They only care about rightnow!! right now.

Of course if we had a plan all along and a vision in our front office our "rightnow" wouldn't be so needy. But they don't see it that way. They'd rather chase their tail every year. Plug the dam. Temporary fix the leaks and Go Cowboys! This is our year!!

Let me echo it again. If the Cowboys have that franchise grade on a QB, done deal. Draft meetings over. There is nothing else to discuss other than how may of these three do we believe our franchise guys because if there's only one I am not about to let the Cleveland Browns take him. So I can sit here with a crippled QB and left to hope I'll be in the same position I'm in right now with a chance at a franchise QB prospect.

It all comes down to what the scouts say. Because our GM and our director of personnel certainly don't know anything. So their underlings must decide whether that guy exists in this draft. I think that guy does. More than one, in fact.

And here's the thing. Let's say Dallas, in all their brilliance, doesn't take a QB because they "didn't like them". And let's say one or more of these QBs are top tier in 4 years. Every single person who was behind that evaluation should be immediately fired. That won't happen but that should happen.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Homer handbook. Page 3. Chapter 2. Paragraph 1.

You talk the talk every year and miss on half of the players you taught. Walk the walk and start admitting the 50% of the times you are completely wrong. If Wentz busts and Buckner studs out, you'll certainly over look the wrong assumptions as mere foder. Though you'll be frantic to throw all your stones from the soapbox perch within your own glass house.

It's an old act, that gets cryptic.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry sounds like he wouldn't want that franchise QB even at 4, let alone in a trade up. I'm probably going to pad my room and hide anything light enough to throw on draft night. I'll probably also stay away from here for awhile so I don't get IP banned...

I've never for a moment believed Jerry would take a QB at 4. I just believe it's without a doubt the right thing to do. I'm either taking a QB at 4 or I'm taking a QB at 1. Do we like both Goff and Wentz? Then I'm staying at 4. Do we only like one? Then I'm moving up to 1. I'm not about to play second fiddle to the Cleveland Browns at the most important position on the field. This is the Dallas Cowboys. That used to mean something.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You talk the talk every year and miss on half of the players you taught. Walk the walk and start admitting the 50% of the times you are completely wrong. If Wentz busts and Buckner studs out, you'll certainly over look your wrong assumptions as mere foder. Though you'll be frantic to throw all your stones from the perch of your own glass house.

If you have nothing substantial, make stuff up and see if that works.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For this roster, the best Player Available, if you don't play trade down, at 4 that would be a Dlineman considering the absence of Hardy and uncertainty of Gregory. Just the wrong draft for a 4 top pick at the QB position.

Yeah, see. There is no "for this roster". What that is is code for draft for need.

This is why I prefer talking draft with people who understand it.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
They'll care about 2017 in 2017 and 2018 and 2018. They only care about rightnow!! right now.

Of course if we had a plan all along and a vision in our front office our "rightnow" wouldn't be so needy. But they don't see it that way. They'd rather chase their tail every year. Plug the dam. Temporary fix the leaks and Go Cowboys! This is our year!!

Let me echo it again. If the Cowboys have that franchise grade on a QB, done deal. Draft meetings over. There is nothing else to discuss other than how may of these three do we believe our franchise guys because if there's only one I am not about to let the Cleveland Browns take him. So I can sit here with a crippled QB and left to hope I'll be in the same position I'm in right now with a chance at a franchise QB prospect.

It all comes down to what the scouts say. Because our GM and our director of personnel certainly don't know anything. So their underlings must decide whether that guy exists in this draft. I think that guy does. More than one, in fact.

And here's the thing. Let's say Dallas, in all their brilliance, doesn't take a QB because they "didn't like them". And let's say one or more of these QBs are top tier in 4 years. Every single person who was behind that evaluation should be immediately fired. That won't happen but that should happen.

I'm with you all the way here. The question is, what CAN you do if the scouts tell them they are franchise caliber, Jerry goes wildcatter with the pick and they reach that status? Thats what being a Cowboy fan is now.

Last edited:

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Yeah, see. There is no "for this roster". What that is is code for draft for need.

This is why I prefer talking draft with people who understand it.

You want to disregard everything that is on the roster, you want to blow it up and start over but if you were my GM you'd have been fired just like Jerry. Only difference is, if you would have built this team you wouldn't be trying to convince people to think outside of your roster.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have flashbacks to 2012 when I was preaching to the room that signing Carr to that God awful contract, packaging picks for Claiborne and going Walmart shopping for offensive linemen was one of the worst offseasons in Jerry's history.

Oh, no, no, no they said.

They didn't learn a thing from that. Not one thing.

Every summer when we start camp I used to wonder if the bulk of our fans were capable of more than just chanting Jerry's name. Now I realize they are not.

Reaction score
You talk the talk every year and miss on half of the players you taught. Walk the walk and start admitting the 50% of the times you are completely wrong. If Wentz busts and Buckner studs out, you'll certainly over look the wrong assumptions as mere foder. Though you'll be frantic to throw all your stones from the soapbox perch within your own glass house.

It's an old act, that gets cryptic.

This is more than just is Player A better than Player B. This is a philosophical discussion about how a successful franchise should be built.

Do you wait until your aging QB is finished before you start looking for his replacement? Or do you actually use some foresight and actually plan for the future?

Do you make decisions by the seat of your pants? Or do you make the moves required to be successful for the long term?

The seat of the pants theory has been an utter failure for 20 years now....and counting. I say it's long past time to have a long term plan in place, especially about the most important position, and the hardest position to find, in all of sports.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm with you all the way here. The question is, what CAN you do if the scouts tell them they are franchise caliber, Jerry goes wildcating with the pick and they reach that status? Thats what being a Cowboy fan is now.

If Jerry doesn't listen to his scouts, there's not much anyone can do but...tick tock. Wait it out.

This team is run so dysfunctionally that any attempt to figure out a chain of command other than Jerry's final say is futile.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is more than just is Player A better than Player B. This is a philosophical discussion about how a successful franchise should be built.

Do you wait until your aging QB is finished before you start looking for his replacement? Or do you actually use some foresight and actually plan for the future?

Do you make decisions by the seat of your pants? Or do you make the moves required to be successful for the long term?

The seat of the pants theory has been an utter failure for 20 years now....and counting. I say it's long past time to have a long term plan in place, especially about the most important position, and the hardest position to find, in all of sports.

That's another good point. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. These guys sign up for it every year.

It truly boggles my mind that with Romo being in the condition he's in, and considering the draft positioning we have this year, that there are actually Cowboys fans who don't want the team to prioritize that position in this draft. Make sure you see three busts there before you look at other positions. That amazes me.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You want to disregard everything that is on the roster, you want to blow it up and start over but if you were my GM you'd have been fired just like Jerry. Only difference is, if you would have built this team you wouldn't be trying to convince people to think outside of your roster.

No, I want to have common sense and realize my current needs on my roster doesn't alter the talent in a draft class. I also want to understand the basic fundamental rule of the draft, that it's a process of acquiring talent for the future. It is not an extension of free agency. And, since I've taken an advanced class, I also realize that only when a team operates this way over a number of years (with quality talent evaluation) will that team get out of the endless cycle of plugging leaks.

The draft's about opportunity first and foremost.

Reaction score
That's another good point. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. These guys sign up for it every year.

It truly boggles my mind that with Romo being in the condition he's in, and considering the draft positioning we have this year, that there are actually Cowboys fans who don't want the team to prioritize that position in this draft. Make sure you see three busts there before you look at other positions. That amazes me.

If the scouts say Wentz or Goff is a franchise guy, the Cowboys take one, and he busts, I can live with that. The discussion may then turn to whether these coaches can develop a QB. But that is a different discussion. At least they would have tried.

What I couldn't live with is if the scouts say there is a franchise guy and they don't take him. And he goes on to star for the Browns or, heaven forbid, the Eagles.

That, l would not be able to take. The lack of trying to cement the long term future of the QB position when they are in a unique position to do so would be inexcusable.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
No, I want to have common sense and realize my current needs on my roster doesn't alter the talent in a draft class. I also want to understand the basic fundamental rule of the draft, that it's a process of acquiring talent for the future. It is not an extension of free agency. And, since I've taken an advanced class, I also realize that only when a team operates this way over a number of years (with quality talent evaluation) will that team get out of the endless cycle of plugging leaks.

The draft's about opportunity first and foremost.

Your pet cat has got your tongue and won't let go. Wentz is no lock to succeed. So keep choking on that hairball, it may spew out with the rest of your noise by draft day.

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Im saying this now. If we have a franchise QB and pass, we MAY make the playoffs in 2016, butb we wont again for another 6 or 7 years

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Your pet cat has got your tongue and won't let go. Wentz is no lock to succeed. So keep choking on that hairball, it may spew out with the rest of your noise by draft day.

No draft pick is a lock to succeed even if media guys are calling them that. Aaron Curry and Rolando McClain were locks to succeed

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
No draft pick is a lock to succeed even if media guys are calling them that. Aaron Curry and Rolando McClain were locks to succeed

Bosa and Buckner are more locks than any QB in this Draft. That's real opportunity, on D.

DEFENSE which just happen to win yet another Championship, for both Divisions.

All you need is a bus driver. Wentz and Lynch are apparently still on training wheels, Goff clearly has his class C.

Last edited: