Combine Chatter Thread

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I'm not saying that what I want them to do, but I have a feeling it's going to be the case.

I'm about 90% confident that Tunsil goes #1, Wentz #2. SD isn't quite as clear, but my early guess is Bosa.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
I'm about 90% confident that Tunsil goes #1, Wentz #2. SD isn't quite as clear, but my early guess is Bosa.

Agreed. Tunsil and wentz are gone. San Diego, so let's say they take Ramsey. That would leave us with bosa and Goff. and I think we would be looking at a 3rd round qb. Bosa is looking like our guy. Unless you guys think San Diego has interest in bosa

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just for grins here's a mock draft the San Diego paper did on December 23rd...

It's amazing what another game or two and the underwear Olympics have done:

1. Tennessee (3-11) – Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss, Jr.

The Titans have a glaring weakness at right tackle, which is a bad thing when you've finally found your franchise quarterback. Tunsil is talented enough to force former first round pick and current left tackle Taylor Lewan to fill the hole on the right side. He has the feet, quickness and agility to be a star right away. Top needs: DT, S, OT

2. Cleveland (3-11) – Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio St., Jr.

Do the Browns take best player available or best quarterback available? It looks like Johnny Manziel may have partied his way out of a starting job. I’m not sold on there being an “Andrew Luck” in this crop of prospects so it might be wise to pass on a signal caller this early. Bosa has the physical gifts and instincts to make an impact right away. Top needs: WR, DE, QB

3. Baltimore (4-10) – Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida St., Jr.

It's rare for the Ravens to be drafting this early. GM Ozzie Newsome makes it count by finally finding his replacement for future Hall of Famer Ed Reed. Ramsey is a playmaker who can play either cornerback or safety at the next level. Top needs: OLB, WR, S

4. San Diego (4-10) – Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame, Jr.

Even if the Chargers offensive line were indestructible, which they are clearly not, an influx of talent wouldn’t hurt. Stanley could have easily been a Top 10 selection last draft. He steps in as the starting right tackle day one, and would eventually transition into Philip Rivers’ blindside protector. Top needs: OL, DL, WR

5. Dallas (4-10) – Jaylon Smith, OLB, Notre Dame, Jr.

The Cowboys defense has certainly improved this season, but a playmaker like Smith could elevate them even further. There’s also a real need considering the futures of Rolando McClain (free agent) and Sean Lee (injuries) are in doubt. The first team AP All-American is a special athlete for the position who is equally adept at dropping into coverage, against the run or rushing the passer. Top needs: LB, QB, DT

6. San Francisco (4-10) – Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis, Jr.

It’s likely the 49ers will move on from Colin Kaepernick after the season. Once again, I’m not really enamored with any of the QB prospects, but each of them has an elite quality and potential which could be developed at the next level. For Lynch, it is his NFL size, arm strength and surprising athleticism. Top needs: QB, RT, WR

7. Miami (5-9) – Myles Jack, OLB, UCLA, Jr.

The Dolphins currently have one linebacker who can play all three downs. According to Pro Football Focus, Jack was the top-graded linebacker in coverage in 2014 while playing the third-most snaps in the country with 1,109. As long as his rehab goes well, he will hear his name called in primetime during the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft, much like Todd Gurley the year before. Top needs: OL, CB, LB

8. Jacksonville (5-9) – Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida, Jr.

Hargreaves is a pro-ready shutdown corner, and the best player at his position since Patrick Peterson in 2011. Top needs: CB, DL, OL

9. New Orleans (5-9) – Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Ole Miss, Jr.

The Saints defense is simply awful. The nation’s top recruit in 2013 is only available because of recent off-the-field issues. He reminds me of a slightly less polished version of Leonard Williams, the Jets first round pick from a year ago. Top needs: WR, OL, pass rusher

10. Chicago (5-9) – DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon, Sr.

Like Bosa, Buckner can play the run and rush the passer. He finished the regular season with 11 sacks, 14 hits and 39 hurries on the quarterback. He'd form a formidable one-two punch on the defensive line with nose tackle Eddie Goldman. Top needs: pass rusher, CB, OG

11. Detroit (5-9) – A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama, Jr.

The Lions defensive line is still in rebuilding mode after last season's free agent exodus. Robinson is capable of owning the line of scrimmage against the run. There's room for growth as a pass rusher if he gets the opportunity at the next level. Top needs: OT, CB, DL

12. Tampa Bay (6-8) – Jonathan Bullard, DE, Florida, Sr.

Bullard is a classic two-gap run-stuffer with size, physicality and a blue-collar playing style that would fit Lovie Smith's system perfectly. Top needs: OT, DE, DB

13. N.Y. Giants (6-8) – Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma St., Jr.

The Giants compete for championships when they feature a dominant pass rush. Ogbah scored 11 sacks as a sophomore because of his freakish athleticism. He has 13 this season even though he’s been a focus of opposing offenses’ blocking schemes. Top needs: SS, OL, pass rusher

14. Oakland (6-8) – Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson, So.

If Alexander has allowed a reception this season, I haven’t witnessed it. He talks like an elite NFL-ready cornerback too, already declaring himself the best at his position in the nation. Top needs: OL, S, CB

15. Philadelphia (6-8) – Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia, Jr.

Floyd could be this draft class' best pure pass rusher and he certainly fits a need for the Eagles. Top needs: OL, pass rusher, DB

16. Buffalo (6-8) – Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama, Sr.

The Bills land an every down enforcer who is rarely out of position. Ragland is capable of transforming a defense with his leadership and fits a position of need. Top needs: QB, FS, LB

17. Indianapolis (6-8) – Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio St., Sr.

The Colts will go as far as Andrew Luck takes them, which won’t be very far if he’s constantly on his back. Despite his height – he's 6-foot-7 – he moves quite well and plays with great balance in the run game. Top needs: OL, pass rusher, CB

18. St. Louis (6-8) – Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss, Jr.

The Rams aren't finding a franchise QB is this draft class with this pick. Treadwell has recovered nicely from last season's gruesome leg injury. His potential at the next level? Think a middle class Dez Bryant or Julio Jones. Top needs: WR, C, QB

19. Atlanta (7-7) – Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor, Jr.

The Falcons have become a one dimensional passing game with no one opposite Julio Jones who strikes fear in opposing defensive coordinators. Many consider Coleman the best deep threat in the nation. It’s hard to argue. Top needs: WR, OLB, ILB

20. N.Y. Jets (9-5) – Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio St., Jr.

There's little doubt Elliott will be the first running back taken – assuming Leonard Fournette doesn't sue the NFL. He brings big-play ability, is an effective receiver out of the backfield and has proven to be outstanding in pass protection. Top needs: OT, pass rusher, TE

21. Minnesota (9-5) – Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor, Jr.

The Vikings are close to fielding a dominant defense. They are only missing an anchor in the middle. Billings has already stated he would return to Baylor for his senior season. His mind could change if his stock continues to rise. Top needs: DE, OG, WR

22. Seattle (9-5) – Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan St., Jr.

The Seahawks offensive line has been mediocre at best the last few seasons. Conklin isn't about flash. He simply doesn't make mistakes. Top needs: OT, DL, WR

23. Kansas City (9-5) – Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio St., Jr.

Thomas has proven he can make plays across the middle while utilizing his deceptive speed. He's a route technician and he'd compliment Jeremy Maclin perfectly. Top needs: OT, DE, WR

24. Pittsburgh (9-5) – Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU, Jr.

Good size? Check. High-end athleticism? Check. Superior toughness? Check. Sounds like potential shutdown cornerback to me. Top needs: OL, DB, TE

25. Washington (7-7) – Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA, Jr.

Washington is surrendering 130 yards per game on the ground, currently 28th in the NFL. Clark is the best run defender at the collegiate level. This is a perfect match. Top needs: QB, CB, LB

26. Houston (7-7) – Jared Goff, QB, California, Jr.

Bill O'Brien has somehow made it work without a franchise quarterback so far. Goff has his flaws, but he's an effective downfield passer who has performed well under pressure, especially against the blitz. Top needs: QB, LB, RB

27. Green Bay (10-4) – Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama, Sr.

B.J. Raji isn’t getting any younger. Reed is the heart and soul of the Crimson Tide's vaunted defensive line. He was a big part of the reason Leonard Fournette only managed 31 rushing yards against the Tide. Top needs: pass rusher, NT, SS

28. Denver (10-4) – Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama, Jr.

John Elway has already built a dominant defense. Couple that with a Henry-led power running game, and all of a sudden you have a vision of what the post-Peyton Manning world looks like. Top needs: RB, OL, DL

29. Cincinnati (11-3) – Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson, Jr.

Lawson’s performance against Notre Dame helped catapult him into the first-round discussion. The Lombardi Award finalist – given to the country’s top lineman or linebacker – made seven tackles, including 3.5 for a loss, mostly against potential top 5 pick Ronnie Stanley. Top needs: WR, C, DL

30. Arizona (12-2) – Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama, Jr.

The Cardinals defensive line has aged and could use a youth movement. Allen recorded two sacks against Ole Miss and was impressive against Wisconsin. He has 34 tackles with 12.5 for a loss, 10 sacks, two forced fumbles and four passes batted in 2015. Top needs: DE, ILB, C

31. Carolina (14-0) – Josh Doctson, WR, TCU, Sr.

Paired with a healthy Kelvin Benjamin, Doctson's ability to win down the field utilizing his special ball skills would give the Panthers one of the most dynamic receiving duos in the NFL. Top needs: OT, WR, S

NOTE: New England was stripped of a first round pick in the 2016 draft for the team's role in the deflated footballs scandal.

No QB taken before Lynch at #6... Goff at #26 and where's Wentz?

Shinaoi

Reaction score
San Diego really needs offensive line help. They may not like taking the second tackle at 3, who knows.

JPostSam

Reaction score
forget the qb situation for a minute...

are you guys watching billings go through these drills? doesn't he seem mighty quick and powerful for a dude that big? i would love to see him replace hayden.

Reactions: BAT

Shinaoi

Reaction score
forget the qb situation for a minute...

are you guys watching billings go through these drills? doesn't he seem mighty quick and powerful for a dude that big? i would love to see him replace hayden.

2nd round is going to be ripe with interior dl. I know we need CB too, but hard to pass on one of the fringe 1st round dl lineman at the top of 2nd.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From #4 to #1 would realistically require the following:

TEN - #1 - 3,000 points

DAL - #4 - 1,800 points
DAL - #34 - 560 points
DAL - Future #1

No thanks - not for anybody in this draft class.

Hey, what did that team trade for Aaron Rodgers?

A 2 and a future 1.

Wow. Terrible trade.

Avery

Reaction score
San Diego really needs offensive line help. They may not like taking the second tackle at 3, who knows.

To me, San Diego is looking at one of four players:

Buckner
Bosa
Ramsey
Stanley

Who they take depends on their draft board I guess; from a positional value, Stanley and Ramsey are much better guys than other OT's and safeties that would be available in the second, but you just never know who teams will really like. I'm also not sold that Ramsey goes quite this high simply due to him being a safety.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just for grins here's a mock draft the San Diego paper did on December 23rd...

It's amazing what another game or two and the underwear Olympics have done:

No QB taken before Lynch at #6... Goff at #26 and where's Wentz?

And who can argue with "the San Diego paper".

Hey, Mike? You know who else you'd never find in a 1st round mock in December the year they were entering the draft? DeMarcus Ware.

Avery

Reaction score

A 2 and a future 1.

Wow. Terrible trade.

You might get a Rodgers, you might get a RG3. You just don't know if you don't gamble.

All depends on your ability to swallow the risk. When it works, you're a genius, when it doesn't, you're a CLE GM.

JPostSam

Reaction score
2nd round is going to be ripe with interior dl. I know we need CB too, but hard to pass on one of the fringe 1st round dl lineman at the top of 2nd.

kenny clark looked good, too.

i was disappointed by austin johnson.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Kenny Clark looks outstanding. Was hoping he'd fall to 34 but his tape combined with his workout makes him a 1st Round Lock.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Hey, Mike? You know who else you'd never find in a 1st round mock in December the year they were entering the draft? DeMarcus Ware.

God forbid... Someone broke ranks with the Wentz mania!

Avery

Reaction score
#34 will be an extremely interesting pick. We'll get a prospect with first round talent no matter what.

The single player that would probably help us the most this season is Ezekiel Elliott, but don't see that materializing unless we trade into the teens. He's only 20 years old so has ten good years left in him.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score

A 2 and a future 1.

Wow. Terrible trade.

You are talking about the Packers? Rodgers fell all the way to the 24th pick. Packers then took him. They didn't have to trade for him. Am I missing something?

Nevermind, I think you just compared Wentz with Rodgers. Get it.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Big, big difference between a position that relies on athletic ability and one that is far more cerebral.

Plus Ware literally blew-away everyone else at the combine. I see no dominate performance by any of these QB's... at least setting themselves head & shoulders above anyone else.

Avery

Reaction score
You are talking about the Packers? Rodgers fell all the way to the 24th pick. Packers then took him. They didn't have to trade for him. Am I missing something?

You're not, but please proceed, Governor.