Combine Chatter Thread

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You might get a Rodgers, you might get a RG3. You just don't know if you don't gamble.

All depends on your ability to swallow the risk. When it works, you're a genius, when it doesn't, you're a CLE GM.

Round and round we go.

You might get Deion Sanders, you might get Adam Jones.

You might get DeMarcus Ware, you might get Dion Jordan.

You might get Aaron Donald, you might get Johnathan Sullivan.

QBs don't have it copyrighted. It's the draft. There's risk everywhere. You're not drafting players on the fear of the worst. You're drafting them solely on the projection of your scouting department. If you don't trust your scouts they shouldn't be employed.

Here's another one for you that might want to consider and this one trumps any and all of your QB bust horror stories in this QB driven league....

You might be one of the haves, you might be one of the have nots.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big, big difference between a position that relies on athletic ability and one that is far more cerebral.

Plus Ware literally blew-away everyone else at the combine. I see no dominate performance by any of these QB's... at least setting themselves head & shoulders above anyone else.

No difference whatsoever. Ware was smaller school. Like Wentz. As evaluators got to know them they shot up the board.

I realize you're looking for another pat on the head from Jerry but you are talking straight out of your backside if you believe you proved something posting a December mock from a San Diego paper.

visionary

Reaction score
My feeling is that it's Wentz at #4 or QB waits until third round or later. I just don't picture Goff in a DC uniform.

If that is the case and as an organization you are that locked in on a franchise QB, you need to go get him

It is one thing to not believe any of these QBs is a franchise QB but with our huge looming need, if we truly believe this and we are this close, we should pull the trigger

I would actually be ok with any of the 3
Of course, jerry will "watch tape" and make a decision

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
The one thing I will say is that historically, there's not a lot of starting QB's drafted from the third round or lower.

We've come a long way from talking about drafting Jaylon Smith/Jack at #4 and taking Wentz in the second round to now suddenly selling the farm for Wentz alone.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
The one thing I will say is that historically, there's not a lot of starting QB's drafted from the third round or lower.

We've come a long way from talking about drafting Jaylon Smith/Jack at #4 and taking Wentz in the second round to now suddenly selling the farm for Wentz alone.

Yeah I was thinking about that earlier. Things change quick, because there was a ton of talk about wentz in the 2nd for us. If only that could have happened.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No difference whatsoever. Ware was smaller school. Like Wentz. As evaluators got to know them they shot up the board.

I realize you're looking for another pat on the head from Jerry but you are talking straight out of your backside if you believe you proved something posting a December mock from a San Diego paper.

Big, big, big difference.

Wentz has you hook, line & sinker... I get it.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I expect us to be bargain-bin shoppers for QB's. I can't shake the feeling that we'll see someone in the second tier drafted at the top of the third.

Whether's that Hogan, Prescott, Hackenberg, etc., I don't know, just seems that the front office will find it easier to stomach a guy in the second day drafted then take the #4 pick and plop him on the bench for a few years.

Then don't bother. This DL class will last into the 4th round. Picking a Dak Prescott is not going to give you the quality you can get from that.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Winicki's is a genius. He actually would prefer to do the same thing we did in 2012. The same thing we did in 2003. The failure we lived through he wants to sign up for some more of that. Let's completely waste another top draft pick on a player that does jack squat to improve the team and it's future.

Ya know why? Because he believes that's what the team will do. And, really, all he wants to do is talk glowingly of the team. Had our idiot Owner come out last week and said QB was the #1 priority in this draft, he'd suddenly find all sorts of sense and value in that. But he didn't. He's done the opposite and left a few hints that QB is not a pressing issue right now and ole Mike picked up that scent like a bloodhound.

It has nothing to do with an honest evaluation of talent in the draft or state of the team. It's all about that blind support of the worst front office in all sports. He's Mickey Spags without the writing gig.

You're a good dude, Mike...but you are completely incapable of talking honestly about this team and you have a seriously demented CB fetish that you should really seek professional help for.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big, big, big difference.

Wentz has you hook, line & sinker... I get it.

Can't argue with that kind of solid response.

Attention NFL Draft fans, if you were not mocked highly in "the San Diego paper" this past December, you are not worthy of a high draft pick.

Avery

Reaction score
Then don't bother. This DL class will last into the 4th round. Picking a Dak Prescott is not going to give you the quality you can get from that.

Not arguing that - the only QB in this entire draft I like as a true starter is Wentz, but I can't say I like him enough to mortgage the future and move up to #1 to get him.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Attention NFL Draft fans, if you were not mocked highly in "the San Diego paper" this past December, you are not worthy of a high draft pick.

The Dutch would have appreciated your participation when Tulip-mania was going on.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Winicki's is a genius. He actually would prefer to do the same thing we did in 2012. The same thing we did in 2003. The failure we lived through he wants to sign up for some more of that. Let's completely waste another top draft pick on a player that does jack squat to improve the team and it's future.

Ya know why? Because he believes that's what the team will do. And, really, all he wants to do is talk glowingly of the team. Had our idiot Owner come out last week and said QB was the #1 priority in this draft, he'd suddenly find all sorts of sense and value in that. But he didn't. He's done the opposite and left a few hints that QB is not a pressing issue right now and ole Mike picked up that scent like a bloodhound.

It has nothing to do with an honest evaluation of talent in the draft or state of the team. It's all about that blind support of the worst front office in all sports. He's Mickey Spags without the writing gig.

You're a good dude, Mike...but you are completely incapable of talking honestly about this team and you have a seriously demented CB fetish that you should really seek professional help for.

Come'on don't hold back... let it all out... You'll feel better.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Dutch would have appreciated your participation when Tulip-mania was going on.

Well you can continue with stuff like this but anyone, and I mean anyone, who follows the draft over the years knows how ridiculous it is to think a December mock from a San Diego paper means anything. This is embarrassing for you.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
i think i will be happy with Wentz or Goff. Both imo ARE franchise type QB's.

Now is the time to get the successor in place. Even if its a swing and a miss, at least you know that there is a half decent plan in place and they understand the constraints with which Tony is playing AND any NFL franchise needs top play at the QB position.

Grabbing a 3rd/4th round QB to develop puts us back into the Stephen McGee sweepstakes again.

Passing on a QB at #4 shows us its just the same old "load up" for a run type plan........AGAIN .

The draft is for the long haul, free agency is for the NOW.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

I wonder if we can get Tre'Davious White now.

Avery

Reaction score
Well you can continue with stuff like this but anyone, and I mean anyone, who follows the draft over the years knows how ridiculous it is to think a December mock from a San Diego paper means anything. This is embarrassing for you.

I would state that even mock drafts from last week won't mean much come April 28th. That's just the nature of the workouts, pro days, interviews, medical exams, etc.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Goodell: The Green Bay Packers are now on the clock.

McCarthy: We're up.

Gutekunst: Yeah, what do you wanna do, boss?

Thompson: ~deep in thought while gazing the board~......see if the San Diego Union-Tribune has an archives section online.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yeah, I forgot Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning were 2nd rounders at the end of their senior seasons.