Combine Chatter Thread

manster4ever

Reaction score
Here’s what I thought of 12 of the top prospects on Saturday.

Carson Wentz, North Dakota State
The FCS star performed as expected. He was solid across the board, just like he was at the Senior Bowl. He showed a strong arm, and made all the throws. He’s a big, strong, athletic kid and teams really seem to like him.

Jared Goff, California
Goff is polished. He had good depth on his drops, and he threw the ball very well, with a very quick release. The thing that has teams worried is he does look smaller and thinner than the other quarterbacks. He needs to put a little meat on those bones.

Paxton Lynch, Memphis
I thought he looked lackadaisical on his drops. He didn’t explode back from center the way I thought he should to show the great athlete that he is. That’s understandable. He was a basically a running back in a Wing-T in high school, and didn’t work from under center in college. So he’s raw and he has some mechanical issues to work through with his footwork. But he’s got great size, he’s very athletic, he showed a lot of arm strength, and everybody knows he moves really well in and out of the pocket. Teams found some issues in his shoulder during the medical checks that have some of them concerned, but this is a kid who’s gaining momentum.

Connor Cook, Michigan State
Connor had the best drops and transitions of anyone in the QB group here at the Combine. In fact, I would say they were almost impeccable. That makes sense because of this whole group, he probably has the most experience in a pro-style offense. He’s a natural thrower, but he didn’t really let it rip in terms of showing his arm strength in my opinion. I think he’s still recovering from his shoulder injury, so it was probably a smart move, but his arm is stronger than he showed on Saturday.

Brandon Allen, Arkansas
Here’s what I think. Allen is just a baller. He competes and plays hard. People don’t like his size, they complain he has small hands, but he’s got a smooth delivery, he has really good footwork on his drops, and he’s got good arm strength. I thought he had one of the best performances of the day.

Brandon Doughty, Western Kentucky
Doughty is another player I like who had a good day on Saturday. He’s an accurate passer, and he ripped the in-cuts in his workout. He also threw a nice deep ball, and his drops were good as well. He helped himself on Saturday.

Dak Prescott, Mississippi State
I thought Prescott looked better at the Senior Bowl. The depth of his drops were off and didn’t match up with the routes he was throwing. But scouts understand he’s more of an athletic guy who will need some time to develop in the pro game. He has some unique skills and will get better. His Combine workout won’t hurt him overall.

Christian Hackenberg, Penn State
The former Penn Stater confirmed his arm strength. He’s a little too erect at the top of his drop for my liking. He hesitates, then transitions before delivering the ball, creating a little hitch. He looked a little sloppy and will have to clean up those mechanics, but I was pleasantly surprised by his arm strength. I think he solidified a spot in the 2nd Round.

Jacoby Brissett, North Carolina State
He looked a little tight and was trying to be too perfect, guiding the ball. He tends to overanalyze things too much. He’s a big, strong, physical guy. He needed to just go out there and let it rip.

Nate Sudfeld, Indiana
Sudfeld is a big guy at 6-6, 240, so his drops should have been longer and smoother. He looked real choppy and was short on his marks. I like his motion, and I like his arm.

Kevin Hogan, Stanford
Hogan really struggled with the deep throws. It takes every ounce of energy in him to get it out there, and when he tried to muscle throws like the post-corner route, it affected his follow through.

Jeff Driskell, Louisiana Tech
The Florida transfer had a terrible day. I’ve watched film on him, and he’s a good athlete, but he didn’t throw well at all.

https://realfootballnetwork.com/2016/02/28/the-miller-report-qbs-at-the-combine/

This is a great write up and spot on. Wentz, Goff and Cook were nails this weekend. Driskell, Hogan, Sudfeld and Brissett struggled IMO....not red flags but they were tight and not fluid. Doughty really surprised me. I thought he looked VERY good and wasn't that high on him previously: so Miller is right about him too IMO.

Prescott and Hackenburg are so difficult to analyze for me. I like Dak and his makeup but he did look pretty average throwing the ball this weekend. As Miller said, he's a developmental guy. I agree with Mayock that Hackenburg is the hardest guy to size up of all. He has all the physical tools and can make the throws but he's inaccurate....period. I watched him a lot at PSU and he was great under O'Brien but fell apart under Franklin and their horrible Oline. He has potential but I would never consider him before the 4th round. This is the one guy that Miller likes and I'm simply not sold on him. (Miller said 2nd...I think 4th round)

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Cowboys won't take QB at 4 and though Goff shined at the Combine, it's a good move to wait on a high round QB. Brady just resigned today, extended to a 4 year until he's 41. True Romo is no Brady but the Pats having already wasted a 3rd on Mallett now move on to trade Garappollo and wasted a 2nd round pick this time.

I'm for taking a QB but I'm also with Bilchick, not taking one when you have a top 10 starting nfl QB on the roster, especially with a 1st round pick and certainly not @4 without the talent of a Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck.

MikeT22

Reaction score
The Claiborne pick IMO is a good example of the team not doing its homework on a player because it didn't expect to have a shot at him. Luckily, we're in a position where we should be thoroughly checking the top players in this draft.

That would be amazing if we traded our first and second to move up for a player we didn't evaluate. Knowing us, it probably is true.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
I don't see any issues whatsoever at drafting Connor Cook in the 3rd or 4th round and having him sit behind Romo.

Would much rather get Jack or Ramsey at 4, then get BPA between RB/WR/DL at round 2. A QB doesn't need to be top 5 pick to be developed.

Cook+ 3-4 years behind Romo would probably turn out much better than getting a QB in the first anyways.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't see any issues whatsoever at drafting Connor Cook in the 3rd or 4th round and having him sit behind Romo.

Would much rather get Jack or Ramsey at 4, then get BPA between RB/WR/DL at round 2. A QB doesn't need to be top 5 pick to be developed.

Cook+ 3-4 years behind Romo would probably turn out much better than getting a QB in the first anyways.

And a QB at 4 like Wentz and Goff behind Romo for 3 years is more likely to turn out much better than Cook sitting for 3-4 years.

Cook might one of hte more overrated QB prospects in this draft. Not terribly accurate and his leadership skills have been questioned by a few teams. Sounds like a great QB.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Of course SD could be of the same mindset. If I was Jerry, I would have SD on speed dial and try to make some arrangements. For example, if Wentz somehow makes it past Cleveland I may be interested in trading up to #3 to prevent someone else from jumping us to get him (assuming he really is our guy). In that scenario, SD would only drop down 1 spot and still likely get their guy.

I'm sure that's what SD is hoping for with their trade down talk. Scare Dallas into thinking someone may jump over us and have us trade up to guarantee it doesn't happen. Even moving up won spot this high in the draft would cost us a day two pick. I'd rather stay at 4 or move down.

Gaede

Reaction score

I like this as well

RS12

Reaction score
1. Jared Goff (QB)
2. Vernon Butler (DT)
3. Bronson Kaufusi (DE)
4. Sean Davis (FS)
4b. Eric Murray (CB)
6. Matthew Ioannidis (DL)
6b. Wendell Smallwood (RB)
6c. Antwione Williams (ILB)
6d. Joe Dahl (OG)

This would be fine. Sub in Mike Thomas from Southern Miss in the 6th.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Cowboys won't take QB at 4 and though Goff shined at the Combine, it's a good move to wait on a high round QB. Brady just resigned today, extended to a 4 year until he's 41. True Romo is no Brady but the Pats having already wasted a 3rd on Mallett now move on to trade Garappollo and wasted a 2nd round pick this time.

Wasted? Not so sure about that. Brady has had the luxury of playing every game since 2009 thus the backup was never forced into action. Romo has missed 26 games, basically a season and a half, in that same timeframe.

Pats also gameplan around keeping Brady upright by being vigilant around three/five step dropbacks and out - no dancing around the pocket waiting for plays to develop as your playcall was either a success or an incompletion.

MrPhil

Reaction score
Even moving up won spot this high in the draft would cost us a day two pick. I'd rather stay at 4 or move down.

I guess this is what separates the pro-QB and pro-defense factions. I understand both perspectives however, If my scouts told me that QB A had legit potential to be a franchise QB and that I could assure myself of getting him for a day 2 pick, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Sydla

Reaction score
Any mock with no rb in the top 4 rounds is null and void. (shrugs)

There's this thing called free agency................

Like if the Cowboys decide McFadden is a good #2 and they sign Lamar Miller, then why would the team then need to take a TB in the first rounds?

Macnalty

Reaction score
Probably fell if you judge workouts in a big way. He did not show out like some of the others. I don't think any less of him. He plays when the pads go on.

I agree when he suits up it is hard to dismiss his talent hope that means he is in our sights in the 3rd.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Ideally we should get a ...

RB
DT
CB
QB

in the first four rounds.

id rather a S instead of a corner and a wr with the second 4th rounder. ill take a cb in round 6. If we are a zone team lets stop putting such an emphasis on corner.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
And a QB at 4 like Wentz and Goff behind Romo for 3 years is more likely to turn out much better than Cook sitting for 3-4 years.

Cook might one of hte more overrated QB prospects in this draft. Not terribly accurate and his leadership skills have been questioned by a few teams. Sounds like a great QB.

How much is the cap space differential between a 4th rounder and a first rounder? Cook comes from a pro style offense and can be molded into a great qb as a student of Romo. I'd rather develop a qb and use cap on defensive keystones.