Comics and Movies

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ever hear of Sucker Punch?

As far as Warner Bros goes, he was given the keys to the castle for the DC films. They had hoped that he could do for them what Kevin Feige and Joss Whedon did for Disney/Marvel.
Sucker Punch not so much but Watchmen, Dawn of the Dead and 300 were received well. I think it will do well in Gunns hands but I think DC’s issue is Batman and Superman is becoming tired. Keep Batman and Joker as standalone films and build a world with lesser known characters.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sucker Punch not so much but Watchmen, Dawn of the Dead and 300 were received well.
Watchmen was not a box office success either.

I think it will do well in Gunns hands but I think DC’s issue is Batman and Superman is becoming tired. Keep Batman and Joker as standalone films and build a world with lesser known characters.
At this point, I have little faith in a turnaround. WB/Discovery could end up losing $1 billion on the four latest DC films.

And I’m not sure that Gunn can quickly change the awful momentum.

Regardless, the Snyderverse’s legacy is a failure.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Watchmen was not a box office success either.

At this point, I have little faith in a turnaround. WB/Discovery could end up losing $1 billion on the four latest DC films.

And I’m not sure that Gunn can quickly change the awful momentum.

Regardless, the Snyderverse’s legacy is a failure.
Watchmen wasn’t a box office smash but it is one of the highest grossing R Rated superhero films of all time. It was well received and has aged well. Also resulted in a spin off series on HBO.

Snyderverse was a failure for sure. I don’t know about recouping what was lost but we know the Joker film is going to do well as Will Batman.

First step was starting over. No matter how good the films were or how bad they have to get the stench off of them. Curious to see what Blue Beetle does.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watchmen wasn’t a box office smash but it is one of the highest grossing R Rated superhero films of all time. It was well received and has aged well. Also resulted in a spin off series on HBO.
The film underperformed at the box office, grossing over $185 million worldwide against a production budget between $130–138 million.

Snyderverse was a failure for sure. I don’t know about recouping what was lost but we know the Joker film is going to do well as Will Batman.

First step was starting over. No matter how good the films were or how bad they have to get the stench off of them. Curious to see what Blue Beetle does.
My opinion is that Blue Beetle will be the biggest disappointment of this recent disappointing group of releases. I think it will do worse than Black Adam, Shazam Fury of the Gods, and the Flash.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The film underperformed at the box office, grossing over $185 million worldwide against a production budget between $130–138 million.

My opinion is that Blue Beetle will be the biggest disappointment of this recent disappointing group of releases. I think it will do worse than Black Adam, Shazam Fury of the Gods, and the Flash.
Possibly. They at least had a modest budget as opposed to something over 200 million so might work in its favor. If we are being honest it seems like box office is taking a hit this summer.

And Watchmen flopped because of budget but the ceiling wasn’t very high for a r rated comic book movie that mainstream moviegoers didn’t really know. That’s why the Blade movies did so well. They knew their budget and market.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Possibly. They at least had a modest budget as opposed to something over 200 million so might work in its favor. If we are being honest it seems like box office is taking a hit this summer.

Very much so and that saddens me. The latest Indiana Jones movie is doing poorly and I thought it deserved a better fate.

I’m a big movie fan and I worry that it’s going to be negatively affected in a big way.
And Watchmen flopped because of budget but the ceiling wasn’t very high for a r rated comic book movie that mainstream moviegoers didn’t really know. That’s why the Blade movies did so well. They knew their budget and market.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am definitely in wait-and-see mode. Blue Beetle would not surprise me though if it performs above average in foreign markets, in particular Central and South American, Mexico and Spain. There is only the trailers to go by, so I could be wrong.

Whether it is successful or fails, Blue Beetle will underscore Warner Bros' pitiful position on a long-term superhero movies strategy. Just think up something and put it out there. Plain stupidity at its finest.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am definitely in wait-and-see mode. Blue Beetle would not surprise me though if it performs above average in foreign markets, in particular Central and South American, Mexico and Spain. There is only the trailers to go by, so I could be wrong.

Whether it is successful or fails, Blue Beetle will underscore Warner Bros' pitiful position on a long-term superhero movies strategy. Just think up something and put it out there. Plain stupidity at its finest.
Yep.

They really had no plan at all.

It’s not hard to see why such sweeping changes were made.

It takes a lot of ‘work’ to botch that thing so badly.

(although Kathleen Kennedy is doing a ‘fine job’ of catching up to them)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep.

They really had no plan at all.

It’s not hard to see why such sweeping changes were made.

It takes a lot of ‘work’ to botch that thing so badly.

(although Kathleen Kennedy is doing a ‘fine job’ of catching up to them)
I know very well how you feel about Kennedy. :muttley:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know very well how you feel about Kennedy. :muttley:
The numbers back me up.

She’s done a poor job ever since Disney acquired Lucasfilm. How she still has one is shocking to me.

How many failures does an executive get?

One last note on her. There is speculation that indeed Indy 5 was the last straw for her and she may in fact be let go.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Very much so and that saddens me. The latest Indiana Jones movie is doing poorly and I thought it deserved a better fate.

I’m a big movie fan and I worry that it’s going to be negatively affected in a big way.
Yeah initially it was some movies and I was like okay maybe the Fast series is feeling fatigue from its audience. But seeing Indiana Jones, Mission Impossible to a certain extent...even the DC Films....they would've faired better a year or two ago. I'm not really sure what's going on with Hollywood. Is this the streaming era catching up to it? and I say that as in initially when everything was closed down everything went to streaming especially a lot of Warner products. Hate to see it. Going to the theater is still a fun experience for me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah initially it was some movies and I was like okay maybe the Fast series is feeling fatigue from its audience. But seeing Indiana Jones, Mission Impossible to a certain extent...even the DC Films....they would've faired better a year or two ago. I'm not really sure what's going on with Hollywood. Is this the streaming era catching up to it? and I say that as in initially when everything was closed down everything went to streaming especially a lot of Warner products. Hate to see it. Going to the theater is still a fun experience for me.
I think the advent of streaming has definitely had a big impact on theater attendance.

And I think the quick turnaround from theaters to home access has as well. Many are just willing to wait a few months to see a film in the comfort of their own homes.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think the advent of streaming has definitely had a big impact on theater attendance.

And I think the quick turnaround from theaters to home access has as well. Many are just willing to wait a few months to see a film in the comfort of their own homes.
Well not only that but its not even wasting a few months. I just saw the Flash and i'm pretty sure that was released in June. Wait time for release is as short as its ever been and even sometimes it releases simultaneously in theaters and on streaming. Now your Summer Blockbusters still seem to be taking the wait approach but like you said there are people who don't mind waiting the 3 months.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just saw the Flash and i'm pretty sure that was released in June.
The Flash was released to theaters on June 16. Did you see in recently via a conventional streamer like HBO, Prime Video, etc.? A conventional platform? Or neither of those viewing formats?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Flash was released to theaters on June 16. Did you see in recently via a conventional streamer like HBO, Prime Video, etc.? A conventional platform? Or neither of those viewing formats?
I saw that it’s already available for purchase through iTunes for $24.99.

I guess they’ve sped up that process to try to recoup some of their losses at the box office.

But overall, I think that behavior is contributing to the overall problem in getting people to the theaters.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Marvel Warns Retailers Not to Sell New Marvel Comics Before Wednesday

By Brian Cronin | CBR
July 20, 2023

Marvel has sent out a warning to its comic book retailer partners via its distributor, Penguin Random House, to tell retail stories not to sell Marvel comic books ahead of the Wednesday on-sale date. Repeated violations could lead to Marvel choosing to delay the shipments of Marvel product to stores until after the on-sale date of the comics.

Enforcement of on-sale dates used to be a regular thing in the past, but there has been a sort of "lawless" approach to the topic in recent years, and this warning from Marvel is the first sign that there might be an end to the era of retailers selling books ahead of their on-sale dates.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thor vs Superman: Who Would Win in a Fight?

By Anthony Gramuglia | CBR
July 20, 2023

Superman-vs-Thor.jpg

While fans have argued about which superheroes could defeat each other for generations, the gold standard of superhero strength in these friendly arguments is Superman. With a seemingly endless array of abilities and a bottomless power reserve, it's difficult to think of a character who could reasonably give the Man of Steel a serious challenge in a fair fight, other than maybe Thor.

With his Asgardian abilities and mystically-enchanted hammer Mjolnir, Thor is a literal god who fights and defeats adversaries far stronger than himself on a regular basis. As the God of Thunder is one of Marvel's mightiest Avengers, and Superman being the most powerful member of the Justice League, there is much debate regarding which one them would come out on top in the ultimate Superman vs. Thor fight.

Read more