Comics and Movies

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have not seen a single Star Wars anything since Return.

I don't even know where to start. Should I even start?
I'm so far behind.
I highly recommend Star Wars: Andor. It's much less Star Warsy than anything else I've seen, with very good writing, acting, and dialogue.

After that, The Mandolorian is a very good series.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have not seen a single Star Wars anything since Return.

I don't even know where to start. Should I even start?
I'm so far behind.
@Runwildboys ' suggestions are very good BUT I will offer two options that can acquaint anyone with this character's detailed backstory that those other series do not.

This link will take you to a crash course on Ahsoka Tano: https://cowboyszone.com/threads/comics-and-movies.496024/post-12770635

And this link is a cliff notes version of Anakin Skywalker's former padawan: https://cowboyszone.com/threads/comics-and-movies.496024/post-12825505

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

An Oral History of the '90s Comic Book Boom... and Crash

By Rosie Knight | IGN
August 5, 2023

img-0797-1691210722019.JPG

If you grew up in the late '80s or early '90s, it's likely that you remember the joy of picking a comic off the shelves of your local convenience store, supermarket, or drug store. If you were really into the beautifully drawn newsprint treats, then you probably recall how the stories and characters that they centered on were absolutely everywhere. News reports, t-shirts, cartoons, and an ever-growing number of specialty comic shops made comic books feel universal in a way they hadn't since, one imagines, the Golden Age heyday.

Read more

It is a very long article but a really good read.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

10 Most Common DC Superhero Origins

By Ashley Land | CBR
August 5, 2023

In the world of DC, in contrast to Marvel, very few heroes are born - they're made. This has helped make the worlds of Marvel and DC even more stark, helping readers more easily decide which version of heroes they prefer. DC has played on a variety of tropes, from science to psychology, to explain why their greatest heroes decided to don a costume and protect the world.

Read more

10. They Were Born That Way
09. Enhanced By Technology
08. They Were Invented
07. Honoring Another Hero
06. Magical Enhancements
05. Sent From The Stars
04. Murdered Parents
03. Beginning As A Sidekick
02. Scientific Experiments & Accidents

01. Chosen By Higher Powers

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

POLL: Which 2024 Marvel Studios, DC, Or Sony Pictures Movie Are You Most Excited About?

By Josh Wilding | ComicBookMovie.com
August 6, 2023

Due to the ongoing WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes, there's an awful lot of uncertainty in Hollywood right now.

Some 2023 movies have already been delayed, while we're expecting at least a few 2024 titles to eventually slip down the calendar if studios don't finally do the right thing.

However, as things stand, we have 7 Marvel and DC movies to look forward to next year.

Read more

Here is an image of the article's poll:

jNRJFWv.png

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

POLL: Which 2024 Marvel Studios, DC, Or Sony Pictures Movie Are You Most Excited About?

August 6, 2023

Due to the ongoing WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes, there's an awful lot of uncertainty in Hollywood right now.

Some 2023 movies have already been delayed, while we're expecting at least a few 2024 titles to eventually slip down the calendar if studios don't finally do the right thing.

However, as things stand, we have 7 Marvel and DC movies to look forward to next year.

Read more

jNRJFWv.png
That’s all we get? Blech!

Can’t wait for Deadpool 3. Have thoroughly enjoyed every entry and repeat viewed. Also a great drunk humor movie, BTW.

Maybe Thunderbolts will fill the void that Suicide Squad never quite managed. That’s a fun concept to play with. Team of superhero villains who are forced heroes. DC forces them with explosives in the head. What is Marvel’s justification?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s all we get? Blech!

Can’t wait for Deadpool 3. Have thoroughly enjoyed every entry and repeat viewed. Also a great drunk humor movie, BTW.

Maybe Thunderbolts will fill the void that Suicide Squad never quite managed. That’s a fun concept to play with. Team of superhero villains who are forced heroes. DC forces them with explosives in the head. What is Marvel’s justification?

The short answer is becoming a good guy for even a brief time after doing good under false pretenses.

quickccc

Reaction score

August 6, 2023

Read more

jNRJFWv.png

ME: Captain America Brave New World - Although I still think it would have been better just to re-cast Steve Rogers than have Falcon become the new CA.

I already expect Venom 3 to be easily the worst of this bunch.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

When Jerry Siegel Made Threats Over Captain Marvel & Superman Lawsuit

By Rich Johnston | Bleeding Cool
August 9, 2023

A letter from the 18th of June, 1953, sees Jerry Siegel using a lawsuit between National Comics and Fawcett over the publication of Captain Marvel.

Famously, in 1938, Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, the co-creators of Superman, sold all rights to the character to the comic-book publisher Detective Comics, Inc, later National Comics and forerunner of DC Comics, for $130. Later Siegel and Shuster would sue DC Comics for publishing Superboy comics, for royalties from the Superman radio show and merchandise, and more.

Read more

fBtZSlo.png

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

When Jerry Siegel Made Threats Over Captain Marvel & Superman Lawsuit

By Rich Johnston | Bleeding Cool
August 9, 2023

A letter from the 18th of June, 1953, sees Jerry Siegel using a lawsuit between National Comics and Fawcett over the publication of Captain Marvel.

Famously, in 1938, Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, the co-creators of Superman, sold all rights to the character to the comic-book publisher Detective Comics, Inc, later National Comics and forerunner of DC Comics, for $130. Later Siegel and Shuster would sue DC Comics for publishing Superboy comics, for royalties from the Superman radio show and merchandise, and more.

Read more

fBtZSlo.png
Siegel's family is the same one that was holding up some of the movies because of legal battles? I guess he eventually did sue over this? Or was it Shuster?

Whole industry is full of stories like this from the old days.

Bob Kane now revealed as a hustler for Batman and stole the idea. Stan Lee, who still is given the gold standard treatment, has a whole list of pissed off creators who think he got all the revenue from characters they created at Marvel.

No one realized it was going to become the billion dollar entertainment mecca it is today.

quickccc

Reaction score

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.themarysue.com/10-most-powerful-x-men-of-all-time-ranked/

https://www.fortressofsolitude.co.za/marvel-most-powerful-x-men-of-all-time-ranked/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_X-Men_members

Most Powerful X-Men of All Time, Power Ranked​

PHOENIX FORCE/JEAN GREY

809c9864ff1bcdb0095c9427f2f99bee.jpg

3ea33228a1553a9a7fa741e4efb4a0ae.jpg

PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
5c6d5b7dc5f1ddc5db5a356ac5bda154.jpg

MAGNETO
0f3d2fe60945423663eeb08119ee009c.jpg

STORM
60a6013aee36cc6988246d23439f763c.jpg

LEGION
c347e2ef55b3d7d588fa035c5f838130.jpg

ICE MAN
7648da8538ab6a84c726372e47050de0.jpg

WARLOCK
091bb946f1d998ae8d4bc963f5e4b985.jpg

WOLVERINE
087cc9ffb2667749dfcd571243797355.jpg

EMMA FROST WHITEQUEEN
fe422d5a2a881ddd3dd2c1160c18776e.jpg

BLINK
7c1ff3da8e4d6e0c8c438ee1a7f0f635.jpg

DEADPOOL
e0f0110c7a3a35a1caa55e44a76ce73e.jpg

ROGUE
7009b86abaa7c1c7337f3146343bdd40.jpg

COLOSSUS
5e8898cd844032c27eabece231e14ee7.jpg

BISHOP
23dc64160c3b9aca65903da1ebd78ea4.jpg
I like Mary Sue's list, although I believe Magneto and Professor X are ranked lower than they should.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jonathan Frakes Wasn't The First Choice For Riker In Star Trek: The Next Generation
By Jacob Hall | Slash Film
August 11, 2023

intro-1691610196.webp

"Star Trek: The Next Generation" introduced us to pop culture's truest Space Dad in the form of Patrick Stewart's Captain Jean-Luc Picard, a noble, commanding, trustworthy father figure for an entire generation of science fiction-loving dorks. But could you ask Captain Picard about girls? About alcohol? About having a good time? Of course not. That wouldn't be dignified for either of you. That's where Jonathan Frakes' Commander William Riker comes in. The Enterprise's First Officer (or "Number One," as Picard nicknamed him) was younger and a bit cockier (and a lot sillier) than the captain. He was a ladies' man, but one who always seemed respectful. He was always down for a good time, but was ready when duty called. He was charming, but never creepy. Tough, but never macho. Frakes had tapped into something special. He was the Space Uncle we all needed. We aspire to be like Picard. We learn how to live from Riker.

Read More

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Johnny Hardwick, Voice Of Dale Gribble On King Of The Hill, Has Died At 64
By Jeremy Matha | Slash Film
August 10, 2023

intro-1691685853.webp

Today brings the sad and unexpected news that Johnny Hardwick, the popular voice actor behind Dale Gribble on "King of the Hill," has died at the age of 64. No information regarding the nature of his passing was immediately available, as the news was first reported by TMZ. In many ways, Hardwick was the heart and soul behind the ever-popular animated series that originally ran for 13 total seasons, from 1997 to 2010. /Film previously reported earlier this year that a new revival series of "King of the Hill" was in the works with much of the original cast returning to reprise their roles. Between the ongoing SAG-AFTRA and WGA strikes, however, it's unclear whether Hardwick or the rest of the cast had recorded any new voice performances for the series.

Read More

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Is Hellboy Marvel or DC?

By Carolyn Jenkins | WGTC
August 14, 2023

hellboy-II.jpg

The visionary character created and drawn by the talented Mike Mignola doesn’t conform easily – in the comics or on the big screen. Just as he sounds, Hellboy is a contradiction. Born to a demon named Azzael and the witch Sarah Hughes, this half-demon child was destined to be the Harbinger of the Apocalypse. After Rasputin summons Hellboy in the 1940s, Professor Bruttenholm adopts him and raises him to be a paranormal investigator.

Hellboy has two destinies, both of them ending in royalty. As the son of a major demon, he could be King of Hell, but as a descendant of King Arthur, he could be King of Earth. These dueling destinies mimic the duel between Marvel and DC. But just like Hellboy’s fate, he belongs to neither. Despite Marvel and DC being the big comic brands in constant competition, Hellboy stands apart. He was published by Dark Horse, the independent comic brand doing the lord’s work by continuing Buffy the Vampire Slayer stories after seven seasons of immaculate television episodes. Both Buffy and Hellboy seem to belong in the same universe with their wild supernatural stories and constant talk of being rebooted in some form or fashion. Marvel and DC could not handle either IP long-term, even if they wanted to.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Along with a Latino superhero, 'Blue Beetle' brings levity to a typically dark DC Universe
By Kaely Monahan | Arizona Republic
August 16, 2023

Blue Beetle is not exactly a household name like Batman or Superman. But it might be soon with the launch of director Angel Manuel Soto’s DC movie of the same name.

Starring a predominantly Latino cast, “Blue Beetle” is about the DC Extended Universe’s first Hispanic superhero. And before you point to America Chavez in the second “Doctor Strange” movie, remember that she wasn’t the hero. Benedict Cumberbatch’s Stephen Strange was.

DC beat Marvel to the punch with this debut, but the question remains: is it any good?

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Marvel’s Trinity Isn’t Who You Think It Is

By David Harth | CBR
August 16, 2023

Marvel has created many of the greatest superheroes ever, but they didn't create the superhero concept. That accomplishment goes to DC Comics. DC set the stage for how people looked at superheroes from the beginning, and Marvel has often used DC's tropes. However, Marvel doesn't exactly copy DC, setting up a unique universe of its own different. Marvel is known for putting their own spin on things, which is how they've conquered the superhero genre.

Something Marvel has seemingly taken from DC is the concept of a trinity of superheroes at the center of things. At DC, this trinity comprises Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. They are the leaders of the superhero community and its most important members. At Marvel, Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor were given that mantle early on. They're the leaders and the key component of teams like Avengers. However, an argument can be made that they aren't the real trinity. That honor goes to the Hulk, Spider-Man, and Wolverine.

Read more

I thought I could argue against Wolverine being the third choice but actually agree with the writer's opinion. Logan debuted over a decade after the other two--not unlike Princess Diana following Superman and Batman's comic book appearances--and he was an outstanding character out of the gate. I mean, the first time readers got to know him was seeing him take on The Hulk??? And hanging in the fight pretty darn well??? Then seeing his character evolve in so many ways and gained worldwide fame over the years that followed.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Along with a Latino superhero, 'Blue Beetle' brings levity to a typically dark DC Universe
By Kaely Monahan | Arizona Republic
August 16, 2023

Blue Beetle is not exactly a household name like Batman or Superman. But it might be soon with the launch of director Angel Manuel Soto’s DC movie of the same name.

Starring a predominantly Latino cast, “Blue Beetle” is about the DC Extended Universe’s first Hispanic superhero. And before you point to America Chavez in the second “Doctor Strange” movie, remember that she wasn’t the hero. Benedict Cumberbatch’s Stephen Strange was.

DC beat Marvel to the punch with this debut, but the question remains: is it any good?

Read more
I’m expecting this to bomb as badly as Shazam did.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m expecting this to bomb as badly as Shazam did.
It is possible but it would not surprise me if, at best, tops Shazam! ($367+ million worldwide) or its box office falls somewhere within that one and Shazam! Fury of the Gods ($133+ million worldwide)