Comics and Movies

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not asking to rank by who's fastest or strongest, but just simply, who's your favorite, who has the best aerial moves. It's not really surprising that lesser known or not as popular heroes aren't higher on the list. Personally, I would say Silver Surfer.. He doesn't need the surfboard to fly, but he has a friggin' flying surfboard, so why not use it...... he wins on style points alone. I wouldn't have any Green Lantern on that list, there's just nothing cool about any Green Lantern, you lose one Green Lantern.... so what there's another Green Lantern, there's thousands of them.
It is a popularity contest. No doubt. Essentially, that is what Ranker.com is all about.

I disagree about the Green Lantern Corps. In my opinion, they are characters more "Marvel" like than most DC characters. The Corps are comprised mostly of ordinary individuals from various worlds. Each are gifted with a Power Ring, one of the most powerful fighting devices known across all comics lines, according to their "worthiness."

Yet, it is their ordinary personal flaws that motivate how they use their rings in service to the Guardians of the Universe's mission. They are not simply interstellar police-like drones. They are just people, given incredible responsibility, making choices attempting to maintain order in a never-ending chaotic universe.

That said, I have no comment how characters like Guy Gardner fit in the grand scheme of things. :muttley:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
‘Thor: Love and Thunder’ Rotten Tomatoes score ignites furious debate
By Scott Campbell | We Got This Covered
July 6, 2022

thor-love-and-thunder.jpg

Even though a lot of people will agree that it doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things what the critics think, the early Rotten Tomatoes score for Thor: Love and Thunder has opened up a massive can of online worms already.

At the time of writing, Chris Hemsworth’s landmark fourth solo outing holds a 71 percent rating with almost 150 reviews in the bag, which makes it one of the lowest-rated installments in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to date, ahead of only Eternals, Thor: The Dark World, and The Incredible Hulk.

Of course, there’s no other outcome besides Taika Waititi’s return to New Asgard decimating the box office in its opening weekend and making a ton of money, but fans across multiple social media platforms have been sent spiraling as a result. Is it the death of the MCU? Are the critics wrong? Is there any justifiable reason to care? All of these questions, and more, are not being answered.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who is Isis? A Look At The Characters In The DC's Upcoming Black Adam Movie
By Vanessa Ruiz | Comic Years
July 5, 2022

[
mUCvh56.jpg

Isis is one of the characters we will see in the upcoming Black Adam movie, which is just a few months away from premiering in theaters. We have seen Isis previously in The Secrets of Isis and will see her next in this new movie. She possesses healing powers as the godess Isis and notably influences Black Adam. It is likely because of the similar origin of both being slaves of the Egyptian government, although in different eras.

They would form a family and protect the city of Kahndaq and, at the same time, protect and save abandoned and enslaved children, trying to find and save Isis's brother. They would have great adventures in the process with Shazam's support.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stranger Things Spin-Off Won’t Have Anything To Do With Series
By Vic Medina | Giant Freakin Robot
July 6, 2022

stranger-things-1200x675.jpg

Matt and Ross Duffer, the creators of the pop culture phenomenon Stranger Things, are finally dropping hints as to what’s next for the franchise. According to a report by Variety, the Duffer Brothers recently discussed the direction of the show in season 5, and the recently-announced Stranger Things spin-off that is coming afterward. In what might be a shock to fans of the hit Netflix show, the new spin-off won’t have any connection to the characters and plot they’ve loved for four seasons. Instead, the new show will be “1000% different” from what they see now, with only a “storytelling sensibility” connecting the two shows.

“It’s not following (the current characters),” the Duffer Brothers made clear, shooting down any speculation that there would be a Stranger Things spin-off focused just on Eleven (Millie Bobby Brown) or even the fan-favorite dynamic duo of Steve (Joe Keery) and Dustin (Gaten Matarazzo). “That’s not interesting to me because we’ve done all that. We’ve spent I don’t know how many hours exploring all of that. So it’s very different.” The Duffer Brothers made the revelation on the Happy Sad Confused podcast, hosted by Josh Horowitz, which features interviews with some of the biggest names in Hollywood.

The Duffer Brothers revealed that details of the Stranger Things spin-off are being closely guarded, and not even Netflix is aware of their plans. They will only say that they are “really jazzed” by the idea they have for the new series. They are also hopeful to find “lightning in a bottle” once again, with a lead that wins over audiences the way Millie Bobby Brown did. “Hopefully we find that right person to pass the baton to while we go on to do new stuff,” they said.

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marvel and DC Artist Stephen Byrne Reveals Adorable and Epic Marvel Chums Animation to Recap Phase 4
By Nathaniel Brail | comicbook.com
July 5, 2022

Ever since Disney purchased Marvel, their movies have been pretty top tier. Marvel Studios has been on a pretty good streak since the first Avengers movie and they've been doing it for almost ten years. The studio has already reached Phase Four of their cinematic universe with the next film in their line up getting ready to be released next week. Now, Stephen Byrne has released an adorable new video I support of Phase Four.

Byrne released the animated video on Instagram where he titled it Marvel Chums Universe. I'm the video he creates animated versions of Captain America, Thor, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk as well as some other MCU favorites. You can't check out the video below

Read more

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
July 6, 2022

Even though a lot of people will agree that it doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things what the critics think, the early Rotten Tomatoes score for Thor: Love and Thunder has opened up a massive can of online worms already.

At the time of writing, Chris Hemsworth’s landmark fourth solo outing holds a 71 percent rating with almost 150 reviews in the bag, which makes it one of the lowest-rated installments in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to date, ahead of only Eternals, Thor: The Dark World, and The Incredible Hulk.

Of course, there’s no other outcome besides Taika Waititi’s return to New Asgard decimating the box office in its opening weekend and making a ton of money, but fans across multiple social media platforms have been sent spiraling as a result. Is it the death of the MCU? Are the critics wrong? Is there any justifiable reason to care? All of these questions, and more, are not being answered.

Read more

I’ll judge Love & Thunder on its own merits on Friday, but I can see the criticism for what Feige and Marvel decided to do in Phase Four. I expressed those same criticisms and concerns when it was first announced.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
It is a popularity contest. No doubt. Essentially, that is what Ranker.com is all about.

I disagree about the Green Lantern Corps. In my opinion, they are characters more "Marvel" like than most DC characters. The Corps are comprised mostly of ordinary individuals from various worlds. Each are gifted with a Power Ring, one of the most powerful fighting devices known across all comics lines, according to their "worthiness."

Yet, it is their ordinary personal flaws that motivate how they use their rings in service to the Guardians of the Universe's mission. They are not simply interstellar police-like drones. They are just people, given incredible responsibility, making choices attempting to maintain order in a never-ending chaotic universe.

That said, I have no comment how characters like Guy Gardner fit in the grand scheme of things. :muttley:
Sorry, I can't get behind any "superhero" that can be slowed down by a glass of lemonade or beaten by a villain simply because he was wearing a yellow rain slicker. I managed to find some training video of the Green Lantern Corp's Hand To Hand Combat Training Course. :muttley:

7odFR0rdeKtG.gif

quickccc

Reaction score
July 6, 2022

Read more

I'm wondering if we will dare see Jane Foster calling herself ... " Thor " (Yikes!).... :eek:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I’ll judge Love & Thunder on its own merits on Friday, but I can see the criticism for what Feige and Marvel decided to do in Phase Four. I expressed those same criticisms and concerns when it was first announced.

Thor is a tough one. They're probably the worst of the original franchises (Iron Man, Hulk, Capt America, etc) until they made the last one. Looks like they went with that campy Guardians of the Galaxy-esque theme again, and took it even further. Maybe that's why people don't like it as much?

Or it's because they're making the movies too much like modern comics which IMO are horrible. At least the superhero stuff. Stick to the classic fables from Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and the rest. We don't care about these multiverse dramas, the Eternals, or making Thor a female to get with the times. Just stick with what made them work. Nerd rant signing out.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thor is a tough one. They're probably the worst of the original franchises (Iron Man, Hulk, Capt America, etc) until they made the last one. Looks like they went with that campy Guardians of the Galaxy-esque theme again, and took it even further. Maybe that's why people don't like it as much?

I definitely think that’s why some didn’t care for it. I admit that it took me a little while to process it and appreciate the change in tone myself. As long as things don’t get too silly, I’m along for the ride.

Too morose and it’s Zack Snyder! Blech!

Or it's because they're making the movies too much like modern comics which IMO are horrible. At least the superhero stuff. Stick to the classic fables from Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and the rest. We don't care about these multiverse dramas, the Eternals, or making Thor a female to get with the times. Just stick with what made them work. Nerd rant signing out.

I see how that stuff can turn some people off too. I’m all for inclusion and attempting to grow your fan base, but don’t be so heavy-handed that you drive away your hardcore fans in the process.

quickccc

Reaction score
I definitely think that’s why some didn’t care for it. I admit that it took me a little while to process it and appreciate the change in tone myself. As long as things don’t get too silly, I’m along for the ride.

Too morose and it’s Zack Snyder! Blech!

I see how that stuff can turn some people off too. I’m all for inclusion and attempting to grow your fan base, but don’t be so heavy-handed that you drive away your hardcore fans in the process.

Didn't have a choice as Dark World format just did not turn heads or gain any momentum building intrigue within the Thor film series.

Did anyone think they were gonna go back to the original Thor movie or Dark World format again, instead of Ragnorak format ?

That's like one suddenly expecting Guardians to suddenly have an all serious approach and abandon their James Gunn retro 80's, comedy driven format.

quickccc

Reaction score
Stranger Things Spin-Off Won’t Have Anything To Do With Series
By Vic Medina | Giant Freakin Robot
July 6, 2022

stranger-things-1200x675.jpg

Matt and Ross Duffer, the creators of the pop culture phenomenon Stranger Things, are finally dropping hints as to what’s next for the franchise. According to a report by Variety, the Duffer Brothers recently discussed the direction of the show in season 5, and the recently-announced Stranger Things spin-off that is coming afterward. In what might be a shock to fans of the hit Netflix show, the new spin-off won’t have any connection to the characters and plot they’ve loved for four seasons. Instead, the new show will be “1000% different” from what they see now, with only a “storytelling sensibility” connecting the two shows.

“It’s not following (the current characters),” the Duffer Brothers made clear, shooting down any speculation that there would be a Stranger Things spin-off focused just on Eleven (Millie Bobby Brown) or even the fan-favorite dynamic duo of Steve (Joe Keery) and Dustin (Gaten Matarazzo). “That’s not interesting to me because we’ve done all that. We’ve spent I don’t know how many hours exploring all of that. So it’s very different.” The Duffer Brothers made the revelation on the Happy Sad Confused podcast, hosted by Josh Horowitz, which features interviews with some of the biggest names in Hollywood.

The Duffer Brothers revealed that details of the Stranger Things spin-off are being closely guarded, and not even Netflix is aware of their plans. They will only say that they are “really jazzed” by the idea they have for the new series. They are also hopeful to find “lightning in a bottle” once again, with a lead that wins over audiences the way Millie Bobby Brown did. “Hopefully we find that right person to pass the baton to while we go on to do new stuff,” they said.

Read more

i read where Stranger Things is still just killing it with the viewership ratings .....i still have not finished and still in the early stages of it, to which i'm meh with it thus far ... especially with (spoiler alert)
a certain major key character once sadly thought gone forever ... but tah-dah ... look whose still alive and kickin'... and escaping ...?

.. ' oh c'mon ! lol .. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

quickccc

Reaction score

Speaking of Green Lantern has there been rumors and whispers of a re-boot, re-make of it ... especially since the Ryan Reynolds one was so cartoonish corny.
Which was a shame because of the very rare DC heroes, Lantern had the intangibles and creative depth to expand the DC films into something unique enuff to keep track
of ..besides the other Justice League members like Super, Wonderman and the Cape Crusader ...

And they are making the Flash into a live action movie ? good luck with that after they seemingly burnt it out with the Warner Bros season series. .. o_O

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry, I can't get behind any "superhero" that can be slowed down by a glass of lemonade or beaten by a villain simply because he was wearing a yellow rain slicker. I managed to find some training video of the Green Lantern Corp's Hand To Hand Combat Training Course. :muttley:

7odFR0rdeKtG.gif
It has been a minute, so I researched my answer to be 100% sure. The power ring impurity was removed during the third part of the Emerald Twilight event...

8hKIfLL.png

...in 1994.

Hal Jordan and Sinestro's fight destroyed the Central Battery of OA, which released the yellow impurity. DC defined the impurity as the malevolent entity called Parallex, who had been trapped inside the battery.

I have noticed some slip ups in an animated movie or two (DC does a poor job with its continuity at times :facepalm: ) but the impurity was dealt with several decades ago. Now, the issue of DC creating rings of ALL THE COLORS OF THE RAINBOW is a current one that does grind my gears. :laugh:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Speaking of Green Lantern has there been rumors and whispers of a re-boot, re-make of it ... especially since the Ryan Reynolds one was so cartoonish corny.
Which was a shame because of the very rare DC heroes, Lantern had the intangibles and creative depth to expand the DC films into something unique enuff to keep track
of ..besides the other Justice League members like Super, Wonderman and the Cape Crusader ...

And they are making the Flash into a live action movie ? good luck with that after they seemingly burnt it out with the Warner Bros season series. .. o_O
I imagine it'll be pretty near impossible to make a movie about conjuring up big, green ghost hammers and other big, green whatevers without looking cartoonish.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
uuugh ... not good.. :confused:
"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

Whether someone deemed worthy possesses Mjolnir for a few seconds or for an extended time, they are Thor until they relinquish the hammer.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't have a choice as Dark World format just did not turn heads or gain any momentum building intrigue within the Thor film series.

Did anyone think they were gonna go back to the original Thor movie or Dark World format again, instead of Ragnorak format ?

That's like one suddenly expecting Guardians to suddenly have an all serious approach and abandon their James Gunn retro 80's, comedy driven format.

After Ragnarok’s success under Taika Waititi I was excited to hear that they got him to return to helm another one. It reminded me of the Russo brothers after Marvel saw Winter Soldier. That ‘different direction’ was just what they were looking for.

And those two very different approaches show that you can have great success with varying directing styles.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i read where Stranger Things is still just killing it with the viewership ratings .....i still have not finished and still in the early stages of it, to which i'm meh with it thus far ... especially with (spoiler alert)
a certain major key character once sadly thought gone forever ... but tah-dah ... look whose still alive and kickin'... and escaping ...?

.. ' oh c'mon ! lol .. :rolleyes:
If there is one thing I have (finally) learned in nearly 60 years of life, it is that every type of entertainment is not everyone's cup of tea. lol.