Comics and Movies

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do like that, I always enjoy a good inspiring chant. The Maori warriors chants, pretty awesome, The Hu, a Mongolian metal band has a lot of chanting in their music, pretty great too. I'm a big fan of chants.
I have always liked the costume too, always thought GL looked sharp..... too bad that the rest of GL is like a bag of lemons :p
You're killing me with the lemons! :laugh:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I get where some are coming from and why Phase 4 has been disappointing. It has not felt the same for me. Well, there is Moon Knight but that has been an exception for me.

My opinion is that multiverse has been underused so far. That is probably my impatience for Disney/Marvel to finally integrating the FF and mutants into the MCU.

Ha. My wife read a comment someone asked online to me while I was typing: [Person] "Must you watch the first three movies to understand Fantastic Four?"

I lol'd.
I think it's a double edged sword of having MCU, everything in so integrated that some people will get weary of feeling they have to watch this show or that that movie to follow what follows next. Throw in all the changing of characters and superhero fatigue starts setting in with more casual fans.

nobody

Reaction score
I get where some are coming from and why Phase 4 has been disappointing. It has not felt the same for me. Well, there is Moon Knight but that has been an exception for me.

My opinion is that multiverse has been underused so far. That is probably my impatience for Disney/Marvel to finally integrating the FF and mutants into the MCU.

Ha. My wife read a comment someone asked online to me while I was typing: [Person] "Must you watch the first three movies to understand Fantastic Four?"

I lol'd.

I want Doctor Doom finally done right. He's one of the greatest comic villains of all time and he keeps getting done dirty.

quickccc

Reaction score
I want Doctor Doom finally done right. He's one of the greatest comic villains of all time and he keeps getting done dirty.

But what is considered " finally done right " with Dr. Doom ?

What type of villain personality, style, and idea actor are you expecting in a Dr. Doom ?

Should Doom be zany and diabotical comical ? ....ala Loki or Ulysses Klaw ..?

Should he be like Magneto ? (McKellen, Fassbender) ... or Dr. Octopus ? (Alfredo Molina)

Should Doom be like Obadiah Stane (Jeff Bridges - Iron Man)

i wouldn't think you'd want him like The Vulture (Michael Keaton: Spider-Man: Homecoming) ... or the past two Lex Luthors (Kevin Spacek,..and worse Jessie Isenberg....yikes! :eek:

Last edited:

nobody

Reaction score
But what is considered " finally done right " with Dr. Doom ?

What type of villain personality, style, and idea actor are you expecting in a Dr. Doom ?

Should Doom be zany and diabotical comical ? ....ala Loki or Ulysses Klaw ..?

Should he be like Magneto ? (McKellen, Fassbender) ... or Dr. Octopus ? (Alfredo Molina)

Should Doom be like Obadiah Stane (Jeff Bridges - Iron Man)

i wouldn't think you'd want him like The Vulture (Michael Keaton: Spider-Man: Homecoming) ... or the past two Lex Luthors (Kevin Spacek,..and worse Jessie Isenberg....yikes! :eek:

I don't see him as any of those. As far as personality and style, as close to the comics as they can get. He's brilliant, vain, meticulous, cunning, manipulative, honorable in his own way. His goals are personal power, rulership over all because he feels he is best for the job (see vain), rescuing his mother's soul from Mephisto, getting revenge on those he feels wronged him... I think the villain he's closest to that exists in the MCU is Killmonger from Black Panther (mixed with the brilliance of Tony Stark) but even that isn't a complete fit. Marvel is pretty good about finding the right actors for roles.

In comics you have to remember that he's not just a genius. He's a genius on par with the smartest man on the planet. He built power armor that can stand toe-to-toe with the Fantastic Four and that's not even including his sorcerous abilities. In Comics, it was Dr Doom that made a time machine, not Reed Richards. He's not someone that was exposed to something and given power.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you could fight Green Lantern with anything yellow?...But the color green is half yellow!
While you and @Roadtrip635 continue pummeling the Green Lanterns with lemons :p, it should be noted the Hal Jordan re-imagined superhero's ring was created in the late 1950's. The character's creators probably did not give much thought into the yellow impurity weakness as what was conceived for his predecessor, Alan Scott. That guy's magic ring weakness was wood. :laugh:

It would be great if Grant Morrison, the guy behind the 1994 explanation of the power ring yellow impurity, would somehow find this thread and start posting in it. One of his best quotes was, “People say kids can’t understand the difference between fact and fiction, but that’s <expletive>. Kids understand that real crabs don’t sing like the ones in The Little Mermaid. But you give an adult fiction, and the adult starts asking really <expletive> dumb questions like ‘How does Superman fly? How do those eyebeams work? Who pumps the Batmobile’s tires?’ It’s a <expletive> made-up story, you idiot! Nobody pumps the tires!” ( link )

That guy would have been using that word to describe me a LOT for things I have argued, like why are some character's eyes drawn as a solid color? No irises or anything? How the heck do they see?

Morrison: "You're an IDIOT, DE."
Me: "Sorry Mr. Morrison." :grin:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's not someone that was exposed to something and given power.
Well... technically, Victor did research and acquire limited magical powers. Those abilities do not subtract from his intellectual prowess one bit though.

I can see similarities between Dr. Doom and Erik Killmonger. My closest MCU match would be Red Skull.

nobody

Reaction score
Well... technically, Victor did research and acquire limited magical powers. Those abilities do not subtract from his intellectual prowess one bit though.

I can see similarities between Dr. Doom and Erik Killmonger. My closest MCU match would be Red Skull.

I only meant that he wasn't given powers like in the Fantastic Four movies. He had to study and work for his magic even if he inherited the aptitude from his mother.

I can see Red Skull for sure.

quickccc

Reaction score
I don't see him as any of those. As far as personality and style, as close to the comics as they can get. He's brilliant, vain, meticulous, cunning, manipulative, honorable in his own way. His goals are personal power, rulership over all because he feels he is best for the job (see vain), rescuing his mother's soul from Mephisto, getting revenge on those he feels wronged him... I think the villain he's closest to that exists in the MCU is Killmonger from Black Panther (mixed with the brilliance of Tony Stark) but even that isn't a complete fit.
Marvel is pretty good about finding the right actors for roles.

In comics you have to remember that he's not just a genius. He's a genius on par with the smartest man on the planet. He built power armor that can stand toe-to-toe with the Fantastic Four and that's not even including his sorcerous abilities. In Comics, it was Dr Doom that made a time machine, not Reed Richards. He's not someone that was exposed to something and given power.

- Really? Then what happened with Marvel giving the FF series to director Tim Story ? and Story going with Julian McMahon as Doom ?
Story, a comedy-oriented director that made that project series into more of a Sci-Fy channel fan made flick film.
That's what made his version of FF feel so less serious, comedy driven. Dorky and on a cartoonish like level.

As with just about every film, I think it starts out with the director, among several task and duty, in approving and putting the final stamp on the casting direction.
To which a contact lensed blue eyed, blond dyed hair Jessica Alba ?

And maybe Tim Story in his own viewpoint and comprehension, likely thought he was indeed bringing the Marvel comic Victor Von Doom from the comics , into the real live action version as he saw it.
Maybe he even thought Julian McMahon was perfect in his portrayal as Victor Von Doom as cunning,.. smooth, ..brilliant and vain.

Imo, McMahon's acting did not seem natural to me, I saw it as someone trying to rehearse what he was being asked to study in the script given to him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- Really? Then what happened with Marvel giving the FF series to director Tim Story ? and Story going with Julian McMahon as Doom ?
Story, a comedy-oriented director that made that project series into more of a Sci-Fy channel fan made flick film.
That's what made his version of FF feel so less serious, comedy driven. Dorky and on a cartoonish like level.

As with just about every film, I think it starts out with the director, among several task and duty, in approving and putting the final stamp on the casting direction.

And maybe Tim Story in his own viewpoint and comprehension, likely thought he was indeed bringing the Marvel comic Victor Von Doom from the comics , into the real live action version as he saw it.
Maybe he even thought Julian McMahon was perfect in his portrayal as Victor Von Doom as cunning,.. smooth, ..brilliant and vain.

Imo, McMahon's acting did not seem natural to me, I saw it as someone trying to rehearse what he was being asked to study in the script given to him.
I think @nobody was referring to the MCU Marvel, not pre-MCU films. ;)

nobody

Reaction score

That was Fox, not the MCU Marvel, as @DallasEast said. Since 2008, Marvel/Disney has done really well with casting.

The Fox version in 2005 might have gotten screwed by the Incredibles since Fox forced the producer and director to make changes due to similarities. Their choice of casting was terrible though. That wasn't Marvel though. :)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
While you and @Roadtrip635 continue pummeling the Green Lanterns with lemons :p, it should be noted the Hal Jordan re-imagined superhero's ring was created in the late 1950's. The character's creators probably did not give much thought into the yellow impurity weakness as what was conceived for his predecessor, Alan Scott. That guy's magic ring weakness was wood. :laugh:

It would be great if Grant Morrison, the guy behind the 1994 explanation of the power ring yellow impurity, would somehow find this thread and start posting in it. One of his best quotes was, “People say kids can’t understand the difference between fact and fiction, but that’s <expletive>. Kids understand that real crabs don’t sing like the ones in The Little Mermaid. But you give an adult fiction, and the adult starts asking really <expletive> dumb questions like ‘How does Superman fly? How do those eyebeams work? Who pumps the Batmobile’s tires?’ It’s a <expletive> made-up story, you idiot! Nobody pumps the tires!” ( link )

That guy would have been using that word to describe me a LOT for things I have argued, like why are some character's eyes drawn as a solid color? No irises or anything? How the heck do they see?

Morrison: "You're an IDIOT, DE."
Me: "Sorry Mr. Morrison." :grin:
There's a young guy (or demon...I'm not sure), probably 18 or 19, who works in the deli of the market in which I get my lunch meats. The guy's eyes are pure black, like, you can't even see his pupils. It's hard to tell in what direction he's looking, and it's kinda creepy. So far I've done a pretty good job of hiding how disconcerting it is, but if I were a religious man, I'd be carrying a crucifix to the deli counter.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I only meant that he wasn't given powers like in the Fantastic Four movies. He had to study and work for his magic even if he inherited the aptitude from his mother.

I can see Red Skull for sure.
So they took a lot of liberties in Jessica Alba's Fantastic 4 movie then? (I call it Jessica Alba's movie because, well...Jessica Alba!)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's a young guy (or demon...I'm not sure), probably 18 or 19, who works in the deli of the market in which I get my lunch meats. The guy's eyes are pure black, like, you can't even see his pupils. It's hard to tell in what direction he's looking, and it's kinda creepy. So far I've done a pretty good job of hiding how disconcerting it is, but if I were a religious man, I'd be carrying a crucifix to the deli counter.
I would be carrying holy water. I have never met anyone who has eye tattoos but have seen them in videos. It would not matter to me if someone was a patron saint of goodness. You are right. That stuff is demonic.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So they took a lot of liberties in Jessica Alba's Fantastic 4 movie then? (I call it Jessica Alba's movie because, well...Jessica Alba!)
It still pisses me off whenever I think of Susan Storm's nosebleeds. Oh look. Alba's nose is bleeding while projecting force fields. It is a mental thing, so why didn't Jessica's nose bleed from turning invisible?

Look! Reed is stretching. No nose bleed. Wow! Johnny's ignited plasma all over his body! No burnt blood dripping from his nose though.

"You're an IDIOT!!!"

Crap. Sorry Mr. Morrison. :(