Comics and Movies

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

Whether someone deemed worthy possesses Mjolnir for a few seconds or for an extended time, they are Thor until they relinquish the hammer.

So is she ‘Thor 2’ when the real deal is around? I’m willing to bet the subject isn’t even addressed in terms of what the public might call her. Maybe in some one-off banter between the two characters.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If there is one thing I have (finally) learned in nearly 60 years of life, it is that every type of entertainment is not everyone's cup of tea. lol.

It’s funny but my wife and I just started binge watching Stranger Things, in some part to me seeing all of the posts here about it. I had wanted to watch it sooner, but she’s a real scaredy-cat when it comes to that kind of stuff, so I never did.

But we’re just about to start Season 4, likely tonight.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Speaking of Green Lantern has there been rumors and whispers of a re-boot, re-make of it ... especially since the Ryan Reynolds one was so cartoonish corny.
Which was a shame because of the very rare DC heroes, Lantern had the intangibles and creative depth to expand the DC films into something unique enuff to keep track
of ..besides the other Justice League members like Super, Wonderman and the Cape Crusader ...

And they are making the Flash into a live action movie ? good luck with that after they seemingly burnt it out with the Warner Bros season series. .. o_O
Time Warner's oversight of the DCEU was problematic. I predict it will solidify under Warner Discovery's watch. How soon will the new owner get things back on track (and make better sense of things) is the question. Be assured though. Green Lantern will be re-made at some point.

I doubt The Flash television series will have much impact on the greater movie audience. Heck. It is a CW show. Not exactly ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX. The problem with a live action movie is not the story but Ezra Miller. That idiot is short-circuiting both his career and the character past moviegoers have identified AS the superhero. Hopefully he can keep it together long enough to squeeze out good work out of him before he goes completely Bat <expletive> crazy.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So is she ‘Thor 2’ when the real deal is around? I’m willing to bet the subject isn’t even addressed in terms of what the public might call her. Maybe in some one-off banter between the two characters.
They are both Thor. One is Thor Odinson and the other is Jane Foster Thor. I am curious how the actors will interact together on screen though.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s funny but my wife and I just started binge watching Stranger Things, in some part to me seeing all of the posts here about it. I had wanted to watch it sooner, but she’s a real scaredy-cat when it comes to that kind of stuff, so I never did.

You're lucky to have a spouse who will watch stuff like that. Mine constantly tells me, "I don't want to watch something like that! Looks bloody!" Then she will turn around and binge watch Supernatural for the umpteenth time. :rolleyes::facepalm:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

With the problems season 4 does have, I think it's the most likely to be scary for some people.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You're lucky to have a spouse who will watch stuff like that. Mine constantly tells me, "I don't want to watch something like that! Looks bloody!" Then she will turn around and binge watch Supernatural for the umpteenth time. :rolleyes::facepalm:
Well, Supernatural has a few male actors women consider hot...but it's also a great show!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or it's because they're making the movies too much like modern comics which IMO are horrible. At least the superhero stuff. Stick to the classic fables from Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and the rest. We don't care about these multiverse dramas, the Eternals, or making Thor a female to get with the times. Just stick with what made them work. Nerd rant signing out.
With respect, you and others are speaking for only part of the movie audience. The multiverse concept is not modern.

fTpEbFy.png

DC started telling multiverse fare in 1961. Marvel's What If? in the mid-70's is literally multiverse content. One What If story was about Jane Foster. As Thor. In the same decade.

Jack Kirby co-created The Eternals.

Not saying anyone is right or wrong in how they feel about the MCU's Phase 4 and beyond. Just saying that the content these movies and television series are based upon is not something dreamed up for the masses since Endgame ended. Tweaks? Sure. Overall content? No.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
It has been a minute, so I researched my answer to be 100% sure. The power ring impurity was removed during the third part of the Emerald Twilight event...

8hKIfLL.png

...in 1994.

Hal Jordan and Sinestro's fight destroyed the Central Battery of OA, which released the yellow impurity. DC defined the impurity as the malevolent entity called Parallex, who had been trapped inside the battery.

I have noticed some slip ups in an animated movie or two (DC does a poor job with its continuity at times :facepalm: ) but the impurity was dealt with several decades ago. Now, the issue of DC creating rings of ALL THE COLORS OF THE RAINBOW is a current one that does grind my gears. :laugh:
Yeah, it only took a few of decades to try and explain away the most ridiculous weakness for a superhero and even the explanation is kinda 'meh'. As you can tell, I was never a big fan of Green Lantern. I can't be a fan of a supe whose biggest, most dangerous villain could have been Big Bird. Imagine all the terrified looks and panic at the Green Lantern Corps when Big Bird kicks down the doors and chirps "Who's Next?" while swinging around a bag of lemons. :rolleyes:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, Supernatural has a few male actors women consider hot...but it's also a great show!
It is a great show. The central cast is solid and even major or minor guest stars were well-presented.

I am sure Jensen Ackles and the other guy playing his brother (I always butcher his name) are reasons that draw my wife's unfettered attention :laugh: but her entertainment choices are varied beyond shows like that do not have hotties. For instance, we both enjoy anime but she is a huge fan of the old Robotech series. On the other hand, it took me awhile before convincing her to watch Aldnoah.Zero with me. Both shows featured mechas and with underlying romantic subplots (of sorts). She didn't want to watch it... until she did. Woman drives me crazy. :)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, it only took a few of decades to try and explain away the most ridiculous weakness for a superhero and even the explanation is kinda 'meh'. As you can tell, I was never a big fan of Green Lantern. I can't be a fan of a supe whose biggest, most dangerous villain could have been Big Bird. Imagine all the terrified looks and panic at the Green Lantern Corps when Big Bird kicks down the doors and chirps "Who's Next?" while swinging around a bag of lemons. :rolleyes:
Okay okay okay. Old Green Lantern bad. New Green Lantern bad. How did you feel about their ring power up chant of "In brightest day. In blackest night. No evil will escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might beware my power. Green Lantern's Light!"

Was that an extra bag of lemons too much? :p

nobody

Reaction score
She is Thor.

No, technically she is not. Look at the inscription on Mjolnir. “Whosoever holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.” Note it says possess the power of Thor. It doesn't say "Shall be Thor."

He is still Thor as that was what he was born and named. They should have called her something else. Like Eric Masterson called himself Thunderstrike.

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

Whether someone deemed worthy possesses Mjolnir for a few seconds or for an extended time, they are Thor until they relinquish the hammer.

Wrong. They possess the power of. They are not that person. :)

nobody

Reaction score

It makes no sense because he is Thor. He didn't lose his powers when Mjolnir was shattered. If it had removed his powers and it was remade and he lost all of his power and Jane Foster got them, then there is some semantic argument for calling her Thor even if it's still not accurate...she only has the power of or power similar to.

Look at Beta Ray Bill and his hammer. It gives him power similar to Thor's after Odin had it made so he'd give Mjolnir back. It doesn't make him Thor. Then there's the Thunderstrike character. Powers of Thor but still not Thor.

It was a really dumb idea in the comics and I hope they give her the powers but don't call her Thor in the movie. It's dumb.

She is her own character, interesting, fantastic even in her own right. Calling her Thor cheapens her in a way. They're saying she can't be something new and can only succeed by using his name.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
With respect, you and others are speaking for only part of the movie audience. The multiverse concept is not modern.

fTpEbFy.png

DC started telling multiverse fare in 1961. Marvel's What If? in the mid-70's is literally multiverse content. One What If story was about Jane Foster. As Thor. In the same decade.

Jack Kirby co-created The Eternals.

Not saying anyone is right or wrong in how they feel about the MCU's Phase 4 and beyond. Just saying that the content these movies and television series are based upon is not something dreamed up for the masses since Endgame ended. Tweaks? Sure. Overall content? No.
I think it may be, for some, it was a novelty, something fun to delve into from time to time. Now it's become so commonplace that it no longer feels fun or special, that what was thought of as canon, gets retconned. A new writer/creative team takes over and characters or their history changes, mistakes or lack of continuity get explained away as this/that was a different universe version of "insert your superhero name here" I think for some it just takes away from the specialness of certain character(s) when it doesn't really matter what happens to them when there's an endless supply of them in other universes or timelines.

I can see where some feel the use of different timelines feels like an idea being overused.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Okay okay okay. Old Green Lantern bad. New Green Lantern bad. How did you feel about their ring power up chant of "In brightest day. In blackest night. No evil will escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might beware my power. Green Lantern's Light!"

Was that an extra bag of lemons too much? :p
I do like that, I always enjoy a good inspiring chant. The Maori warriors chants, pretty awesome, The Hu, a Mongolian metal band has a lot of chanting in their music, pretty great too. I'm a big fan of chants.
I have always liked the costume too, always thought GL looked sharp..... too bad that the rest of GL is like a bag of lemons :p

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it may be, for some, it was a novelty, something fun to delve into from time to time. Now it's become so commonplace that it no longer feels fun or special, that what was thought of as canon, gets retconned. A new writer/creative team takes over and characters or their history changes, mistakes or lack of continuity get explained away as this/that was a different universe version of "insert your superhero name here" I think for some it just takes away from the specialness of certain character(s) when it doesn't really matter what happens to them when there's an endless supply of them in other universes or timelines.

I can see where some feel the use of different timelines feels like an idea being overused.
I get where some are coming from and why Phase 4 has been disappointing. It has not felt the same for me. Well, there is Moon Knight but that has been an exception for me.

My opinion is that multiverse has been underused so far. That is probably my impatience for Disney/Marvel to finally integrating the FF and mutants into the MCU.

Ha. My wife read a comment someone asked online to me while I was typing: [Person] "Must you watch the first three movies to understand Fantastic Four?"

I lol'd.