Commanders | B. Lloyd lands contract extension

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
True, Roy is a great Run supporting S... but he didn't get to do too much of that last year remember?? He was getting "burned" week after week, since "he's so awful in coverage.":rolleyes: RW had to make up for the fact that we had a special teamer playing FS last year. He wasn't able to make his presence felt too often in run support, not from lining up in the box anyway.

So Roy wasn't ever in the box?

Yes, I professed anger over Roy's lack of coverage this year. That doesn't mean he isn't great in run support. And when he does give it, its like having another LB in the box, which is a huge advantage. This helps with stopping the run game.

Not to mention, as I said, Ware and Bradie would be Oakland's best LB'ers.

All of this factors in. Even the passing game. By having Newman being able to lock down a WR like he did (and Henry too, until his injury), we could, did, and will continue to be able to dictate more players towards stopping the run.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Vintage said:

Yes, I professed anger over Roy's lack of coverage this year. That doesn't mean he isn't great in run support. And when he does give it, its like having another LB in the box, which is a huge advantage. This helps with stopping the run game.

Not to mention, as I said, Ware and Bradie would be Oakland's best LB'ers.

All of this factors in. Even the passing game. By having Newman being able to lock down a WR like he did (and Henry too, until his injury), we could, did, and will continue to be able to dictate more players towards stopping the run.

Ahh, I thought Henry was in the "downward path of his career." :laugh2:

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
fact of the matter is, in the 3-4, the LBs are responsible for taking down RBs in the running game, and applying pressure on the QB, and our LB group from last year is being revamped, you do the math

No doubt. Never said we weren't revamping our entire LB group (or our defense for that matter).

Still, we had more talent to do it with than Oakland's defense.

Bradie, Ware, Roy, Newman, probably Henry (pre-injury), Ellis, Glover could have all started for Oakland last year.

Yeah, we revampled our defense completely. And to be honest, I was surprised at how well we did, considering the circumstances (and the losses to our LB's)....but we still have more talent than Oakland on defense. By far.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
Ahh, I thought Henry was in the "downward path of his career." :laugh2:

Last year, pre injury.

Re-read that.

He is not 30 yet either. He is in his prime, but will fall off.......

Whether or not its this year, the subsequent year, the year after that even, I cannot tell you.

But corners deteriorate, generally, once they surpass the 30 barrier.

You know what I meant.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Vintage said:
Last year, pre injury.

Re-read that.

He is not 30 yet either. He is in his prime, but will fall off.......

Whether or not its this year, the subsequent year, the year after that even, I cannot tell you.

But corners deteriorate, generally, once they surpass the 30 barrier.

You know what I meant.

OK, so the reason you think he'll be going downhill is because of a groin injury. Gotcha.

And way to go out on a limb there, Mr. Vague. "One of these days Henry will be falling off. Whether or not it's this year, or 5 years from now, or by the time he's 82, mark my words, HE WILL FALL OFF... Probably"

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
OK, so the reason you think he'll be going downhill is because of a groin injury. Gotcha.

And way to go out on a limb there, Mr. Vague. "One of these days Henry will be falling off. Whether or not it's this year, or 5 years from now, or by the time he's 82, mark my words, HE WILL FALL OFF... Probably"

Not bec. of the groin injury.

The whole point of the "pre-injury" statment was that, pre injury, Henry was having a good season.

Lastly, how in the hell am I supposed to know exactly when Henry will fall off? If I could predict that, I wouldn't be here. I'd be in Vegas gambling.

Last post for the night. I am tired. And the alcohol is finally starting to kick in.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Vintage have you read post #119 yet. I feel like we're ignoring the pink elephant over in the corner of the room. How do you explain the comparison to Washington to Fergie when they run a 4-3?? Washington not only takes on only one blocker on running plays, he has Warren freakin Sapp lined up next to him.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
Vintage have you read post #119 yet. I feel like we're ignoring the pink elephant over in the corner of the room. How do you explain the comparison to Washington to Fergie when they run a 4-3?? Washington not only takes on only one blocker on running plays, he has Warren freakin Sapp lined up next to him.

I am serious this time when I say this is my last post for the night. Probably.

Anyways, call it oversight that I forgot Oakland switched back to the 4-3. I brought up Burress (who is a 4-3 DE) and never registered it in my head. Stupidity on my part.

However, even with Sapp lined up next to Washington, that doesn't stop opposing teams from running the ball down your throat when you have no LB's who can come up and make plays.

Despite our complete overhaul, who on their LB core would you take over Bradie James or Demarcus Ware?

Would you take their safeties over ours?

Would you take their corners over ours?

Our defense, even with injuries, learning a new defense, etc is still better than Oakland's.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
And I didn't mean to skip that post; I didn't see it in between my replies.

Last post for tonite. I think.

I am tired.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Vintage said:
I am serious this time when I say this is my last post for the night. Probably.

Anyways, call it oversight that I forgot Oakland switched back to the 4-3. I brought up Burress (who is a 4-3 DE) and never registered it in my head. Stupidity on my part.

However, even with Sapp lined up next to Washington, that doesn't stop opposing teams from running the ball down your throat when you have no LB's who can come up and make plays.

Despite our complete overhaul, who on their LB core would you take over Bradie James or Demarcus Ware?

Would you take their safeties over ours?

Would you take their corners over ours?

Our defense, even with injuries, learning a new defense, etc is still better than Oakland's.

I'm not arguing that our defense is better. I just want to know why you said Washington is better than Fergie... I can't see any evidence of that. 1) our run D was better, and everyone knows it's easier to stop the run in the 4-3 than in the 3-4. That's why you need a NT to plug the middle. 2) Say what you want about their LBs, they are NFL caliber LBs. they're not wildly flailing around falling over their shoelaces missing tackled every play. The DL has SOMETHING to do with how the defense stops the run. 3) If you don't go by run defense, and you don't watch their games, there has to be some reason you think Washington is better than Fergie. Is it sacks?? Is it tackles?? Is it how many pounds they weigh, or is it how many twinkies they eat every week? There has to be something, I just wanna know what.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
And don't feel obligated to respond if you're tired. I don't think you have an answer anyway.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:

Yeah sorry Summer, I guess I got a little wrapped up in the argument. But look at this...
Vintage said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peplaw06
True, Roy is a great Run supporting S... but he didn't get to do too much of that last year remember?? He was getting "burned" week after week, since "he's so awful in coverage.":rolleyes: RW had to make up for the fact that we had a special teamer playing FS last year. He wasn't able to make his presence felt too often in run support, not from lining up in the box anyway.

It's stuff like this that pisses me off. I say he wasn't in the box too often, and he replies like that?? It's like he's putting words in my mouth, when he knows full well that's not what I said. And right in front of our faces. We can see everything that's being written. I can't understand it.

That being said, sorry if I went a little overboard Vintage. It's not personal.... it's football.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I shouldn't have put the words in your mouth. It was intentional. Since I made the (mistake) in whatever thread it was, involving the RR, where I said I was a member, people began interpeting my posts how they wanted to.

So I started doing it too.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
And look at me, I've been here all night, I have to get up early, and I didn't get any work done on my paper. ******... the ZONE will be the end of me.

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
3 head coaches, 5 defensive coordinators ago.... and ONE owner. There is a common thread, don't play like you're a completely different franchise. Danny Boy still likes the big splash signing.

You fail to understand that people learn from their mistakes. Citing moves made 6 years ago isn't helping your point too much.

You know the more I look at it, Moss still has something to prove. Let's put two solid years together in a row before we label him worth the money. And as for Portis, let's see him do the same, outside of Denver. What you Commanders fans are forgetting is all the breaks you got last year. Not saying these two won't be good again this year, but they may not be as unbelievably great as you all think.

Portis has never had under 1,300 yards rushing. What more does he have to prove? He's on pace for breaking alot of records. The whole "let's see him do good outside of denver's system" is so two years ago. You can make a case that Moss might be a one-hit wonder, but Portis has never even had a bad season. Unless he gets injured before the season starts, it's a guarantee Portis will dominate again.

You're right, I don't watch Commanders games, unless they're playing the Cowboys. But Springs had a drop off last year, you can't deny that. 5 picks the year before, dropped to 1.

The fact tried to use interceptions as a measure of how good a corner is, shows me you know nothing about the position. Plenty of corners numbers drop when quarterbacks don't throw to them. Springs has performanced extremely well in the last two seasons as our #1 corner, and somehow he's a #2???

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20041115-125211-5289r.htm

Shawn Springs and Fred Smoot, two of the Commanders' most reliable players on defense through the first half of the season, finally met their match yesterday. Each cornerback was burned early in the loss, helping pave the way for the Bengals to open a 17-0 lead.
Springs was schooled by Cincinnati wide receiver Chad Johnson for a 12-yard gain in the first quarter that set up Rudi Johnson's 1-yard touchdown run. Chad Johnson later beat Smoot for a 9-yard gain to the Cincinnati 3, setting up Carson Palmer's touchdown pass to tight end Tony Stewart.

You quoted an elite reciever getting a first down on Springs. I brought up Lloyd basically owning Henry for an entire game.

One pass vs. A whole game. Which one seems worse to you?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
You fail to understand that people learn from their mistakes. Citing moves made 6 years ago isn't helping your point too much.

Portis has never had under 1,300 yards rushing. What more does he have to prove? He's on pace for breaking alot of records. The whole "let's see him do good outside of denver's system" is so two years ago. You can make a case that Moss might be a one-hit wonder, but Portis has never even had a bad season. Unless he gets injured before the season starts, it's a guarantee Portis will dominate again.

The fact tried to use interceptions as a measure of how good a corner is, shows me you know nothing about the position. Plenty of corners numbers drop when quarterbacks don't throw to them. Springs has performanced extremely well in the last two seasons as our #1 corner, and somehow he's a #2???

*SIGH* Speaking of so two years ago, this thread is so yesterday. But since you mentioned it. Here's a couple of stats from Portis's first year with WASH, that hardly set the world on fire. 3.8 YPC, 5 TDs. Don't get all ruffled up over Portis, I just want to see if he can repeat last years stats. I would hardly say it's guaranteed.

As for Springs I don't have the stats that indicate how many times he was throgn against, but the INT wasn't the only statistical dropoff. Less tackles, less sacks... I realize these aren't the best indicators of CB production. How about this question? Where would he be on the Cowboys' depth chart?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
You quoted an elite reciever getting a first down on Springs. I brought up Lloyd basically owning Henry for an entire game.

All you said is you don't remember him getting burned as a Commander... That's what I was responding to.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:

BTW, did you watch that game with Lloyd burning Henry?? Or did you just hear some rumor that Lloyd beat Henry? Lloyd had 4 catches for 142 yards... the long one was 89. Everyone gets burned once in a while. Even your boy Champ Bailey. Take away that one catch and the rest of his stats are 3 catches for 53 yards. Good yes, but saying he "schooled Henry" is just homerism on your part.