CFZ Comparing Bobby Wagner and LVE with recent stats

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Wags is a great player but he’s 5 years older than LVE and wants a huge deal. I’m sure he’s looking for a similar deal to what he got with LA last year.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a salary cap league. It is quite obvious that Wagner is the far superior player, but you likely lose Wilson if you sign Wagner and you probably don't make the Gilmore trade either. I would rather have LVE + Gilmore + Wilson than Wagner.
Why is Wilson this “must have” player? I like him fine but if not having him means we could get Wagner that makes us much better. Wagner+Gilmore+Other good S from draft or FA? Why wouldn’t that be better?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Comparing Bobby Wagner with LVE…I know we signed LVE now but wish it would’ve been BW.
Here’s comparison of recent stats:

Bobby Wagner:
  • Has started every game for 4 straight seasons
  • Averages over 80 solo tackles a season for 7 straight years.
  • Had 140 total tackles, 81 solo last year
  • Had 6 sacks in 2022
  • Had 2 INTs in 2022
  • Had 10 TFLs in 2022
  • Had 10 QB hits in 2022.
This does not look like a guy who has declined significantly.

LVE:
  • Has only played one full season without missing a game over a 5 year career and has missed 22 games over that period.
  • Averages about 57 solo tackles a season over 5. (Had one great year in 2018 in tackles)
  • Had 90 total tackles, 54 solo in 2022.
  • Had 1 sack in 2022.
  • Had 1 INT in 2022.
  • Had 4 TFLs in 2022.
  • Had 1 QB hit in 2022.
I like LVE, but Wagner is a bona-fide HOFer and 6 time first team ALL Pro who still has lots to give.
I didn't think Wagner would likely be a signing, but comparing side by side there's no question Wagner is the better player. However, he's also a half decade older and 5 million more a season.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why is Wilson this “must have” player? I like him fine but if not having him means we could get Wagner that makes us much better. Wagner+Gilmore+Other good S from draft or FA? Why wouldn’t that be better?
You would also have to trade for Wagner as he is currently under contract. You likely lose at the very least a 3rd or 2nd round pick.

Call me crazy, but I would rather have LVE + Wilson + My 2nd or 3rd rounder than Wagner if I absolutely had to chose one or the other.

You're going to need those picks to add help at WR and OL unfortunately. That being said, I would be very happy if Dallas just ponied up and traded for Wagner anyway. I'm done playing the long game here.

phildadon86

Reaction score
It's a salary cap league. It is quite obvious that Wagner is the far superior player, but you likely lose Wilson if you sign Wagner. I would rather have LVE + Wilson than Wagner. There are just too many holes to fill to throw nearly $13mil at a linebacker.
Replacing Wilson and getting a HOF LB who excels at (you guessed it) run defense. Is much easier than you think. I’d take Gilmore and Wagner without Wilson over LvE Gilmore and Wilson.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah it's depressing to see the Vander Esch news. They are settling for mediocrity with greatness available.

And people are actually celebrating it. I guess just because they're doing something.
I think many Cowboys fans are conditioned to it. And many fans way overrate our talent. Donovan Wilson is an above average S. Hits hard. Home grown. Nice player. Keeping him doesn’t make us BETTER IMO.
Replacing Wilson and getting a HOF LB who excels at (you guessed it) run defense. Is much easier than you think. I’d take Gilmore and Wagner without Wilson over LvE Gilmore and Wilson.
Me too. 100%. Wagner is a play maker. He‘s a tackling machine and would give this D some top shelf help. I’m excited Gilmore being here but LVE and Wilson…meh.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I like Wagner, but because of his age there are questions about his speed which shows up more in pass coverage.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
LVE is cheaper and 27 years old. He’s solid. And if you sign Wagner you may have to let Wilson walk. I am ecstatic with what the Cowboys accomplished today. It’s been a long time since they had a day like today in the offseason. Enjoy it.
Exactly. You weigh in, do you want Vander and Wilson, or wagner.

GoldenR

Reaction score
Yeah it's depressing to see the Vander Esch news. They are settling for mediocrity with greatness available.

And people are actually celebrating it. I guess just because they're doing something.
Agree! Fans being fans I guess.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Comparing Bobby Wagner with LVE…I know we signed LVE now but wish it would’ve been BW.

Bobby Wagner:
  • Had 6 sacks in 2022
  • Had 2 INTs in 2022
  • Had 10 TFLs in 2022

LVE:
  • Has only played one full season without missing a game over a 5 year career and has missed 22 games over that period.
  • Averages about 57 solo tackles a season over 5. (Had one great year in 2018 in tackles)
  • Had 1 sack in 2022.
  • Had 1 INT in 2022.
  • Had 4 TFLs in 2022.
  • Had 1 QB hit in 2022.
I like LVE, but Wagner is a bona-fide HOFer and 6 time first team ALL Pro who still has lots to give.
I would look at it like this.

Sign Vander and Wilson
Or
Sign Wagner

I like 2 good players over 1 very good one allday.

GoldenR

Reaction score
I think many Cowboys fans are conditioned to it. And many fans way overrate our talent. Donovan Wilson is an above average S. Hits hard. Home grown. Nice player. Keeping him doesn’t make us BETTER IMO.

Me too. 100%. Wagner is a play maker. He‘s a tackling machine and would give this D some top shelf help. I’m excited Gilmore being here but LVE and Wilson…meh.
Yes, Wilson is a nice player, but does not make us better. Has a hard time tracking the deep pass and seems lost at times. Tackling machine I agree with.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is not what some fans want so therefore it sucks….same old same old. …..

Lets see what Wagner signs for before it is over analyzed as usual.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would look at it like this.

Sign Vander and Wilson
Or
Sign Wagner

I like 2 good players over 1 very good one allday.
I respect your perspective here. Where I disagree is I think if you have a chance at a HOFer whose stats show he’s still got a ton of production, he’s worth it. I understand that some don’t. And I could be dead wrong too! I just think he would make this D even better whereas LVE and Wilson make it about what we’ve been getting. Which is good. But I don’t see it better.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I respect your perspective here. Where I disagree is I think if you have a chance at a HOFer whose stats show he’s still got a ton of production, he’s worth it. I understand that some don’t. And I could be dead wrong too! I just think he would make this D even better whereas LVE and Wilson make it about what we’ve been getting. Which is good. But I don’t see it better.
You have to wonder how much of what Fisher said bout his source saying Wagner couldn't run played into this if it all. I want to know how he got thru the season if true, he taking that needle the way Favre was was? Or just smoke?

blueblood70

Reaction score

Bobby Wagner:
  • Had 6 sacks in 2022
  • Had 2 INTs in 2022
  • Had 10 TFLs in 2022

LVE:
  • Had 1 sack in 2022.
  • Had 1 INT in 2022.
  • Had 4 TFLs in 2022.
  • Had 1 QB hit in 2022.
now add in does Wagner want to be here , dopes Wagner ask for 15mil per year, like twice as much? we all know wags is better but the cost and his willingness to come here. LVE 1 yr basically 6mil?? he played well in Dq d and clark wil be in full TC and have more to offer im betting. you do realize we didnt need those stats to know which is the better player..

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Is LB where you really want to spend your defense salary cap dollars?

Defensive line first, secondary second.

Spending a fortune on linebackers is a little bit like spending heavily on RB. Not quite as bad, but still.....