CFZ Comparing Bobby Wagner and LVE with recent stats

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
now add in does Wagner want to be here , dopes Wagner ask for 15mil per year, like twice as much? we all know wags is better but the cost and his willingness to come here. LVE 1 yr basically 6mil?? he played well in Dq d and clark wil be in full TC and have more to offer im betting. you do realize we didnt need those stats to know which is the better player..
Don't think anybody would pay him 15. He was gonna cost 12.5 and he got cut

Praxit

Reaction score
....nice write up, Bullet. But we cant afford Waggy. Would have been nice though.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I look at it this way, you can have one of the following.

A. Bobby Wagnor
B. LVE and Gillmore

The team decided option B was the best.
More like LVE Wilson and Gilmore for the price of Wagner.. we dont know if wags want to be here. i rather have more players that can pay all over and be insurance and depth then one payer. definitely would have meant less players and just Wagner. most fans cant use common sense when all they have opn their minds all month is Wagner, Dhop, and OBJ the FO goes anther direction with very good signings and fans not able to adjust

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Wagner is amazing. But when you are strapped against the cap a little, it’s got to be difficult to tie your cash to a 33 year old LB. Despite a great season for the Rams, a 34 year old LB could go down at any moment. If Wagner plays 2-3 more years at a high level and healthy, he would indeed be extremely unusual.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wagner is amazing. But when you are strapped against the cap a little, it’s got to be difficult to tie your cash to a 33 year old LB. Despite a great season for the Rams, a 34 year old LB could go down at any moment. If Wagner plays 2-3 more years at a high level and healthy, he would indeed be extremely unusual.
Wagner may be like Ray Lewis who played at a very high level until he was 37. Wagner turns 33 this season.
And regarding being ”cap strapped”, the teams competing for SBs have all had cap limitations. They find a way to put a better roster together.

Hey I’m excited about the Gilmore trade today. But I would rather have the additions of Wagner+Gilmore + a rookie S and no Wilson or LVE. That IMO would give us a better D. Again, I could be wrong.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you are in this thread or other threads trying to argue that LVE is a better signing than Wagner, or that Wagner is too old, or whatever............. take your fingers off the keyboard, take a deep breath, stand up, go get a beer or bourbon on the rocks and hope the down time knocks some sense into you.

Wagner is a much better LB than LVE. It will be interesting to see what Wagner signs for. If he signs for like $8 million a year on a short term deal, that would have been a better move than LVE at $5.5 million a year.

Big_D

Reaction score
He's a championship caliber hall of fame LB. When you haven't seen one of those in a while you forget what that looks like. LVE is 'solid' but they passed up on a golden opportunity to take this D to that next level. I like how they take this moment to watch their dollars and cents?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Yeah it's depressing to see the Vander Esch news. They are settling for mediocrity with greatness available.

And people are actually celebrating it. I guess just because they're doing something.
LVE isn't mediocre. He was second on the team in tackles despite missing 3 games. Has size, smarts and some speed.

Better than average olb.

But I get it, we're supposed to always want somebody but our own players, right?

lonestar2288

Reaction score
It is what it is. Wagner is definitely the better LB. But, LVE is considered by quite a few to be an above average to good player now under a manageable deal. It's been apparent for 2 off-seasons now that this FO feels they can't afford to bring in Wagner. At least they did something, which puts us above the last few yrs output

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
I keep seeing wagner is 2x the price but the line backer market is what dictates his price is and so far it’s been tamed than expected. Glad we brought lve back but don’t try and spin it as he’s better than wagner. If wagner ends up making like 12m a year….ok but I don’t think he’s going to

This because anyone that knows football knows BW is better.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If you are in this thread or other threads trying to argue that LVE is a better signing than Wagner, or that Wagner is too old, or whatever............. take your fingers off the keyboard, take a deep breath, stand up, go get a beer or bourbon on the rocks and hope the down time knocks some sense into you.

Wagner is a much better LB than LVE. It will be interesting to see what Wagner signs for. If he signs for like $8 million a year on a short term deal, that would have been a better move than LVE at $5.5 million a year.
Nobody is saying LVE is a better signing, based on what we know now.

But if Wagner is so much better than LVE, he'll command far more than $8 mil, and at his age (33 by season's beginning) he'll be wanting a multi-year deal. Meanwhile Dallas is one of the youngest teams in the league. I'd not want to risk a big, long term contract on a 33 year old linebacker. They get a ton of hits, the older a player gets the more likely one of those hits will result in significant time lost.

If linebacker is such a weak link on the team, then draft one to spot LVE.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LVE isn't mediocre. He was second on the team in tackles despite missing 3 games. Has size, smarts and some speed.

Better than average olb.

But I get it, we're supposed to always want somebody but our own players, right?
Stop. Bobby Wagner is a much better player. Go get the upgrade and actually improve the team rather than sticking with the status quo.

conner01

Reaction score
I look at it this way, you can have one of the following.

A. Bobby Wagnor
B. LVE and Gillmore

The team decided option B was the best.
Exactly
And I think it’s the right choice though I’d love Wagner on this team

conner01

Reaction score
Cheap is not always good. I think we still need another playmaker on D.
It comes down to having LVE and Gillmore or wagner
Gillmore is a very good CB coming off a season with pro bowl type numbers. LVE is a decent LB
Wagner is a great LB but he won’t make more plays than both of them will

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
LVE is cheaper and 27 years old. He’s solid. And if you sign Wagner you may have to let Wilson walk. I am ecstatic with what the Cowboys accomplished today. It’s been a long time since they had a day like today in the offseason. Enjoy it.
Shut up. They could sign both. LVE sucks at stopping the run where we were 22nd in the league last season in a division with 2 teams that bank on running the football. Salary cap is a myth jerry and stephen are just dumb rednecks

Sydla

Reaction score
Nobody is saying LVE is a better signing, based on what we know now.

But if Wagner is so much better than LVE, he'll command far more than $8 mil, and at his age (33 by season's beginning) he'll be wanting a multi-year deal. Meanwhile Dallas is one of the youngest teams in the league. I'd not want to risk a big, long term contract on a 33 year old linebacker. They get a ton of hits, the older a player gets the more likely one of those hits will result in significant time lost.

If linebacker is such a weak link on the team, then draft one to spot LVE.
What he wants and what he gets are too different things. He's not going to get a long term deal at this point and if he does it will be similar to the one he got in LA that gave them easy outs after just two years. His base salary for this season was only $7.5 million with a $3.5 million roster bonus. He's not going to get anymore than that in any one year.