Congestive heart failure...**Update Post #164**

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
******, Silverbear...I had a client in China all lined up to by that gall bladder! :banghead: (why do bad things always happen to good people like me?)

Oh, well, at least you are OK. :cool: I guess I can live without $8,000 more dollars.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
5Stars;4616849 said:
******, Silverbear...I had a client in China all lined up to by that gall bladder! :banghead: (why do bad things always happen to good people like me?)

Oh, well, at least you are OK. :cool: I guess I can live without $8,000 more dollars.

I feel bad for you, man... I should probably cover your loss...

The check's in the mail...

silverbear

Reaction score
ethiostar;4616852 said:
Great to hear everything went well sb.

Thanks, ethio... it's much appreciated...

I wanna stick around a while and see more pictures of your cute kids as they grow up...

phillycard

Reaction score
SB, I'm late on this, but I do wanna say I'm glad things are looking up, and I hope for continued improvement in all aspects of your daily grind, whatever that entails. It's a reality check for sure, but you have an admirable attitude. Continued well wishes my man!

Phoenix

Reaction score
phillycard;4616888 said:
SB, I'm late on this, but I do wanna say I'm glad things are looking up, and I hope for continued improvement in all aspects of your daily grind, whatever that entails. It's a reality check for sure, but you have an admirable attitude. Continued well wishes my man!

Ditto.

silverbear

Reaction score
phillycard;4616888 said:

I truly appreciate it, pal... my morale is much improved today, as you can probably imagine...

Dodger

Indomitable
Reaction score
I saw this thread the other day, but I didn't read it....I hate reading threads about someone being sick. I just don't deal well with that at all no matter who it is.

But I saw the update and skimmed to that post. I'm very happy to hear that it wasn't as bad as it might have been, Bear. Very happy. Take care of yourself, and do as your doctors ask. It sucks about losing your medical coverage...and I'd say a few things about that, but I'd probably get banned, so I'll keep quiet.

Anyway, I'm hoping you get to the point where you don't have to worry about this every day. It sounds like you'll be there soon, though. Take care.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
5Stars;4616849 said:

You actually think they'd take any of his organs after the YEARS of abuse he's put them through? :muttley:

silverbear

Reaction score
Dodger;4616958 said:
I saw this thread the other day, but I didn't read it....I hate reading threads about someone being sick. I just don't deal well with that at all no matter who it is.

I don't blame you for avoiding a thread that might bring you down...

But I saw the update and skimmed to that post. I'm very happy to hear that it wasn't as bad as it might have been, Bear. Very happy. Take care of yourself, and do as your doctors ask. It sucks about losing your medical coverage...and I'd say a few things about that, but I'd probably get banned, so I'll keep quiet.

No, don't go getting in trouble, buddy... :D

I have every intention of listening to the pros when it comes to my heart...

Anyway, I'm hoping you get to the point where you don't have to worry about this every day. It sounds like you'll be there soon, though. Take care.

On one level, I will have to "worry" about this every day... CHF is forever, but the good news is if I do worry about it, I can manage it...

Getting old sucks..

silverbear

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;4616968 said:
You actually think they'd take any of his organs after the YEARS of abuse he's put them through? :muttley:

Old bears have the best gall bladders, everybody knows that...

You bastidge... :D

JBond

Reaction score
silverbear;4616389 said:
I feel downright giddy, but that's probably just the drugs...

Seriously, it's like the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders... the procedure was no big deal, actually, and I know I can deal with this...

WOW! Just saw this thread. I will add you to my prayer list. Based on past conversations we have had, you are to stubborn to let this thing beat you. I have no doubt you will come out on top!

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Interesting study from a medical journal...

Abstract
Patients with congestive heart failure often experience fatigue despite intensive pharmacological therapy. Ribose can aid the recovery of ATP levels and, hence, diastolic function. Clinical trials have shown that ribose supplementation improves ischemic threshold and enhances diastolic function in congestive heart failure.

Keywords: Heart failure, Ischemia, Metabolism, Ribose, Ventricular function
We have compelling, but preliminary, data to suggest that D-ribose may be of benefit in congestive heart failure (CHF). CHF patients commonly experience fatigue, decreased exercise tolerance and limitations in activities, all attributable to their dysfunctional cardiac condition. The preservation of, or improvement in, left ventricular diastolic function has been a therapeutic goal in CHF because of its important relationship to improving functional capacity/exercise performance of daily activities. Conventional pharmacological therapy (diuretics, digoxin, angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors, beta-blockers, etc) is initially employed: however, success is not always guaranteed. No standardized secondary pharmaceutical therapy exists and, therefore, novel therapeutic options are being sought.

ATP is essential for myocardial cellular integrity and function; however, in ischemic heart disease, ATP levels can be reduced, with supply not meeting demand. Experimentally, hearts subjected to moderate periods of ischemia while on cardiopulmonary bypass demonstrate an approximate 50% reduction in myocardial ATP levels following ischemia (1), and with reperfusion, a considerable amount of time, as much as nine to 10 days, is required for complete recovery (2). Further, reduced myocardial energy levels have been found to reflect a temporal relationship with diastolic dysfunction, which improves as ATP levels recover (3). Diastolic relaxation is energy dependent, requiring adequate levels of ATP to pump cytosolic calcium into the sarcoplasmic reticulum. Lower myocardial ATP levels allow calcium to remain fixed to troponin longer in diastole, leading to a myocardial dysfunctional state (4).

The pentose phosphate pathway (PPP) aids in replenishing depressed ATP levels; however, rate-limiting enzymatic steps in the PPP account for a sluggish recovery following ischemia or anoxia. Supplemental ribose enters the PPP, bypassing the rate-limiting steps, leading to the formation of adenine nucleotides. Animal studies investigating the role of D-ribose following global ischemia have demonstrated that left ventricular diastolic compliance is linked to myocardial ATP levels (5,6). Further, the recovery of ATP levels and diastolic function enhanced by ribose can be reversed if ribose supplementation is discontinued early in the recovery. Longer infusion periods are required to maintain the desired effect (7).

Human clinical trials have also found similar benefits from ribose. Pliml et al (8) reported that daily doses of D-ribose enabled patients with stable severe coronary artery disease to increase their ‘ischemic threshold’, reflected in their ability to exercise longer with fewer symptoms or potential electrocardiographic changes. Recently, Illien et al (9) reported significant benefits of daily oral D-ribose in class II and III (New York Heart Association) CHF patients in a double blind, randomized crossover study. Supplemental D-ribose demonstrated a significant improvement in diastolic compliance with comparable measurements pertaining to left atrial function. Of equal importance, ribose also demonstrated a significant improvement in quality of life (Medical Outcomes Study 36-Item Short Form Health Survey questionnaire) and physical function activity scoring (9).

The prevalence of CHF has markedly increased over the decades. In the early 1990s, it was estimated that in the United States, approximately 4.6 million individuals were afflicted with CHF, approximately 400,000 new cases were diagnosed each year and approximately 260,000 deaths from CHF occurred each year, with an estimated five-year mortality rate of approximately 50% (10). Further, the health care cost in the United States for heart failure was reported to be US$38.1 billion, with US$23 billion spent on inpatient care, more than US$14.5 billion in outpatient therapy and slightly more than US$250 million in heart transplantation (10). As the incidence of CHF continues to increase, therapeutic dollars spent on this disease will also have a correlative rise. Pharmacological regimens are still the approved standard in treating patients with heart failure; however, each pharmaceutical agent has accompanying adverse side effects. The use of ribose in CHF patient daily therapy may offer a benefit by itself or may potentiate pharmaceutical therapies, which could lead to a decrease in health care cost.

silverbear

Reaction score
JBond;4617046 said:
WOW! Just saw this thread. I will add you to my prayer list. Based on past conversations we have had, you are to stubborn to let this thing beat you. I have no doubt you will come out on top!

Just gotta keep fighting... thanks...

silverbear

Reaction score
TheSport78;4617147 said:
Interesting study from a medical journal...

Abstract
Patients with congestive heart failure often experience fatigue despite intensive pharmacological therapy. Ribose can aid the recovery of ATP levels and, hence, diastolic function. Clinical trials have shown that ribose supplementation improves ischemic threshold and enhances diastolic function in congestive heart failure.

I have a level of fatigue, so I've made a note to ask my doctor about taking D-ribose... it sounds like something that would help me...

silverbear

Reaction score
jobberone;4617301 said:
SB, did he say why he thought you had heart failure?

All the doctors agree that I have congestive heart failure, jobber... my pulse oxygen was 92-93 when I went into the hospital, and I was having a problem breathing if I tried to lay down... a normal pulse oxygen level is 99-100 (which is what my were consistently during the angioplasty)...

As my doctor put it in the ER, 92-93 isn't bad for somebody with CHF, but it's not good for a healthy individual...